Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » how do you pronounce 'Java'?

Credits go to BAF, Billybob, Bruce Perry, Evert, gillius, gnolam, Indeterminatus, Jeremy McCleese, jhuuskon, Karadoc ~~, kazzmir, Kitty Cat, Kris Allen, Matt Smith, nonnus29, OICW, Paul Pridham, PyroBoy, Rampage, Rash, ReyBrujo, Richard Phipps, Ron Ofir, and X-G for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
how do you pronounce 'Java'?
LSd016
Member #3,561
May 2003

Which is correct: Yava or Java? ???

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

jah vah

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Java, like 'Jabba the Hutt'.

-R

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

[url http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Java]
Check the pronounciation.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

You should pronounce it "Jehovah" for best effect.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

We spell it here the way it is written, that would be havva, just like have in english.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Its pronounced "C plus plus"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Heh.

No its pronounced 'pointer scare me so I made this language without them'.

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Java is pronounced the same as the word java meaning coffee, with a harsh "jah" sound and not a soft "yah" sound as you asked.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Kris Allen
Member #4,639
May 2004

Whilst on topic, why is it called Java??

- Kris

Jeremy McCleese
Member #5,241
November 2004

Quote:

Why is it called Java?
Originally called Oak by Gosling because of the tree outside his office window.
Oak had been used before so Java was selected.

r30y162part2

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Maybe because java is a sort of coffee beans. And you know the thing about coders and caffeine. :)

You don't deserve my sig.

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

One of our lecturers always pronounces it yahvah, and everytime he says that (which is quite frequent) I run mad. Gnarr.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

You are all stuck on your own prejudices, and the bad habit of Anglicising. I had 2 Latin teachers who couldn't agree how to pronounce 'ego'

How do you say Jugoslavia? How do you say Javier? (or Xavier, X-Man fans)

Java is an island in Indonesia (Dutch East Indies) where the coffee comes from. It was probably Cloggies who spelled the name Java and so by my reckoning 'yah vah' is probably correct, and 'djah vah' is how Anglos mis-say it.

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

I'm the last one to anglicise. My mother tongue is German and I had 6 years Latin in school. There are lots of words being mis-pronounced by Anglos (I'm especially thinking about the Greek alphabet), nonetheless I believe Java has to be pronounced 'djah vah'.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

In czech we pronounce it as in English [djahva] (I don't know somebody who pronounces it in czech like [yava]).

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

nonnus29 said:

No its pronounced 'pointer scare me so I made this language without them'.

[url http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Java+DOES+have+pointers%22&btnG=Google+Search]

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

ReyBrujo said:

We spell it here the way it is written

heh.

-----------

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Well, Java the programming language was developed by an American lady photo_kimpolese.gif and she probably calls it djahvah so that'll do.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Huh? James Gosling is NOT an American Lady......

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Maybe that's what you are made to THINK, nonnus29! Might be a secret identity. I don't know this James Gosling lady...

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

PRONUNCIATION!!! >:( ;)

We all call it Java at work, and since we're the best Java coders out there, our whims are law.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yes, I've heard stories about a guy, alone coder who wrote an isometric 3d, massively multiplayer online rpg with an indepth skill system, huge map, seemless installation and updates via the web, and runs as an applet or an application. All on his own, and it was called runescape. Do you know this guy BP?

The guy who origionally wrote runescape can officially claim the title of 'super coder!!!!11'

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

He DOES work in the company that pwns runescape. Perhaps he's seen him, who knows? :)

You don't deserve my sig.

PyroBoy
Member #725
October 2000

Quote:

Whilst on topic, why is it called Java??

I belive it was going to be called Oak after a tree outside one of the developers windows but that name was allready being used in the software world for somthing else so they named it after a brand of coffee called "Java".

1   2 

Go to: