This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Allegro 4.1.17 WIP
Jeremy McCleese
Member #5,241
November 2004

From fix.bat:

Quote:

echo Converting Allegro files to DOS CR/LF format...
utod .../*.bat .../*.sh .../*.c *.cfg .../*.h .../*.inc .../*.rc
utod .../*.rh .../*.inl .../*.s .../*.txt .../*._tx makefile.*

Just saying that by default, allegro uses utod to convert the files. A lot of people don't take time to read. My friend Jeff being one of them. He complained for about 2 hours straight today about not being able to compile this. After getting on my last nerve, I finally, sent him utod.exe. He was using MinGW.

r30y162part2

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

i have been using msvc and mingw for a long time now..
and each time it issues the utod command i get an error.

i just ignore it and everything compiles fine.
it would be nice to fix it .. i guess.

what are the main reasons why MSVC's make can not be used ?

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

It doesn't use the same symantics and syntax as GNU make, and I don't think we have any devs that understand it and could keep it up to date. The good thing about GNU make is that, even across different platforms, the symantics are the same.. you just use different OS calls.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

If you plan on compiling it for MSVC, you of course must use gnu make to do so, but many people use MinGW, while building Allegro requires CR/LF formatting. The tool to do this, UTOD, isn't distributed with MinGW. It's DJGPP.

Well, the compiler should be able to handle both formats. The only program that I know of that is too broken to recognize both is notepad. Besides, the files in the ZIP archive already contain CR/LF endings. This is the only difference (contents-wise) between the .zip and .tar.gz source distributions.
Just pass the --quick flag on the fix command line to disable the conversion. Maybe this could be the default on DOS/Windows?

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

is there a way to test for the presence of utod ?
is there such a thing as a file_exists() for makefiles ?
that searches the path ?

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

IIRC, there's an executable in the Allegro distribution that does just that. (I must use someone else's computer for internet access, and there's no Allegro so I can't check.)

zesensei
Member #4,410
March 2004

Hi,
On a Mandrake 10.0 official, gcc 3.3.2 (mdk), linked with aastr and almp3
each time I'm trying to use allegro_message(..) it return
'broken pipe'
Any idea ? Is there an exemple that use allegro_message ?
Thanks for the help, good job anyway (was hoping a lot of an Allegro_message in a X Box)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Do you have xmessage installed on your system?
The relevant code is in the _xwin_sysdrv_message() in src/x/xsystem.c, if you could help pin point where the crash happens exactly, that would be very helpful. Needless to say, it works fine here (although this does remind me that I want to make the message box a configure option; I prefer the terminal myself).

zesensei
Member #4,410
March 2004

Seems xmessage isn't installed by default on Mandrake 10.0 .
I've tried to install via rpmdrake (Xform package), install is fine but it didn't work anymore.
Guess I'will not allegro_message for a few.
Thanks for the answer.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Maybe we should use a simple system() call as in Julien's original patch? Either that, or Peter will have to fix it and handle SIGPIPE or something properly :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Maybe we should use a simple system() call as in Julien's original patch?

I'd try to use popen if I wanted to use pipes personally, although I'm not sure why pipes are the way to go in this case.

Quote:

Either that, or Peter will have to fix it and handle SIGPIPE or something properly

Well, yes, I suppose we have to do that if we want to use pipes like this. Hmm... there could be a potential similar problem with get_executable_name() in rare circumstances I suppose...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

The only reason for pipe's was a security concern, with system("xmessage blah") the "blah" apparently gets visibles somewhere in the /proc filesystem. As I said on [AD].. I don't really see a problem with that personally.

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

system also goes through your shell, so "blah" should be escaped for shell meta characters.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yes, it was execvlp or something, not system, sorry. See the patch by KittyCat on [AD] :)

--

1   2 

Go to: