Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro.cc seems to have changed.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro.cc seems to have changed.
X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Rick, the "this" link in question was just a link to the download section for AllegMP3, which the noob obviously already had and was asking about. ::)

Me telling him to RTFM takes five seconds, tops. I can spare that much out of my otherwise busy day. ::) It doesn't matter if he has the manual or not, apparently he didn't read it. If he had he wouldn't be asking.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

That's not my point at all. My point is that you, allegro elite, shouldn't waste your time on such a post. You can help out far more in other areas. If the noob obviously had the manual, then why waste time telling him to RTFM? If you elite, not just X-G, get tired of posting the actual solution, don't you get tired of posting RTFM?

========================================================
Actually I think I'm a tad ugly, but some women disagree, mostly Asians for some reason.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

If the noob obviously had the manual, then why waste time telling him to RTFM?

Because he hadn't?

Telling someone it's in the manual will have them ask less stupid questions.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

And if someone he doesn't know from Adam tells him to RTFM (which isn't very polite in the first place) he's just going to be like, "Wow, this stranger is right. Maybe I should read the manual."

If you are going to post RTFM, maybe give him a link to the spot in the manual to read. RTFM is way to general. Some manuals are rather large. I'm sure most people post these types of questions because they wish not to weed through the manual. That's "kindof" part of a forum. So people who did RTFM can share the knowledge to those who didn't RTFM.

In general RTFM isn't helping anyone. We all know about manuals. We (most) know how to read.

I'll take my response off-line. (way to much public radio) :)

[EDIT]

Quote:

Telling someone it's in the manual will have them ask less stupid questions.

It could actualy lead to more. :)

Actually I think I'm a tad ugly, but some women disagree, mostly Asians for some reason.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Rick: It's the whole "give a man to fish" thing (or if you read Pratchett: "give a man a fire" ;)). When someone asks if there's a function for loading bitmaps, or what clear_bitmap() does, we could just give him the answers - and be prepared to have to answer every single one of his consecutive RTFM questions. Or we could actually point him to the docs and teach him how to find his own answers. I can understand people overlooking things sometimes, or not understanding parts of the docs. That's OK. But they damn well have to show that they have put in a minimum of effort to solve the thing themselves first...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

The problem is there isn't just 1 man to teach fishing to. They keep coming, and coming. Non stop. It will never end. So elite people, such as X-G, shouldn't waste their time posting RTFM. In turn other members won't post threads about how allegro people have changed, in turn making a 2 page thread, such as this, void.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

While I'm flattered that you seem to think I'm "elite", it takes me no more than five-ten seconds to post "RTFM". I can spare that much time out of my day, even if I have to do it ten times a day. If I never did anything else than say "RTFM" all day there would be a problem, but that's not the situation today. ::)

Also, you seem to be suggesting that if someone less experienced than me posted the word "RTFM", it would be all right.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Maybe ML should just end it all by putting this up on every single page:
http://www.ericscomputershop.com/junk/damnmanual.png

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

RTDMF? Doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

..well, then ML will just have to send out an RTFM T-Shirt to every new member. Fed-Ex overnight, so that they don't have too much time to post manual related questions before they recieve it.

;)

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

The first rule about allegro.cc club is don't talk about allegro.cc club.
The second rule about allegro.cc club is READ THE FARKING MANUAL!

Marcello

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Soon the transformation will be complete and a.cc will forever be known as yves.cc MUAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Resistance is fertile.

Marcello

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

It is like nobody is doing a God darn thing around here.

If you mean programming, actually, I haven't. Your right. :) I've got a job now, musical projects I have to attend, and I still like to do stuff with friends (which is about once a week). I can't be a typical no life anymore for the sake of A.CC, nor will I. That doesn't mean I don't love programming (or A.CC), but I don't have anything I want to make or the time to do so at the moment.

I say RTFM sometimes, but I typically word it better than, X-G. :) I say "it's in the (url)manual(/url)" or FAQ and so on. And I link to the relevant part.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Well... as soon as I get my new keyboard I'll try to start programming again... XP's "On-Screen Keyboard" isn't exactly fit for programming ;)

--

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Dare I say it - perhaps us Allegators are wasting our time sharing bullshit in the off-topic ordeals forum. It should be closed.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

As far as I see it this site is more than just about Allegro, and it's more than just about programming. It's about a community of people coming together with common interests to chat about a variety of things. Not to say we are all friends, but several members here have met up with other people through this forum.

Of course if some people here started programming again that would make things more interesting. :)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

yeah, everyone is just loosing all their programming-ness. I have too. I have more of a life, a job, and other things going on.

And as far as stupid "How do i load waves?" questions, RTFM is warranted. but it seems like sometimes people just say it out of turn, like if someone asks a slightly more problematic question.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Everyone who has seen my replies knows I am against the RTFM stuff. If you are going to post that, don't post at all. Other than to get the OP confused and credit him with a free credit for not helping ::)

I think the best solution is that, the same way you get I'm dumb instead of I'm dumb!, that everytime someone posts RTFM, it is replaced with I am increasing my post count, I am too good to help you, I know the answer, but won't share it or just I'm dumb as well. Which one you like the most?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Quote:

I'm dumb instead of I'm dumb!, that everytime someone posts RTFM, it is replaced with I am increasing my post count, I am too good to help you, I know the answer, but won't share it or just I'm dumb as well.

heh, that would be quite funny, since Matthew has RTFM in his sig ;)

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

I think RP hit the head on the nail there. I mean, whenever I ask questions here, no one has any ideas. So I generally don't bother.

Marcello

Reno Midgar
Member #4,792
July 2004

I love it when X-G tells me to read his sig, although I hate it when 23yearold tells me to google. Do I win a prize?

Do you beleive in Time Travel?

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

No, you win a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: The a.cc veterans open a can of whoopass on ya. :)

[edit]I'm pretty sure i wrote it right the first time...

You don't deserve my sig.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

I think there should be a minimum characters per post. I think that every RTFM post without any additional info should result in the addition of "I know it, I know it, na-na-na-na-na" :)

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

actually a word count minimum would be nice, it would discourage those RTFM, yes, and no only posts, this way people must think a bit more about what they are going to say, it doesn't have to be a large minimum, like 5 or 10 words. ... Then again people will be doing R T F M . to get away with it :P

Go to: