"Don't be economic girlie men!" -Schwarzenegger

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Thanks a lot! Just what i was asking for in this thread.. ;D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yeah, I had some of those links; there's some good stuff on psyguy.com.

Here's one:

[url http://charas-project.net/]

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

Thanks a lot! Just what i was asking for in this thread

Not quite. You asked for free gfx. Quite a lot of the sprites are rips.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hmm... maybe you can get permission to use them if they are outdated. Maybe you can mail Nintendo, Sega or any right holder and ask them.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Lenman
Member #4,522
April 2004

If your game is not commercial, it should be no problem to use ripped sprites I think. But I'm not completely sure about this.

--------------------------------------------------------
My newest game: Tough Terry|Come visit my homepage!

Perhaps I should let you all in on a little secret. No one likes you in the future. This time period is looked at as being full of lazy, self-centered, civically ignorant sheep. -John Titor

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

Hm.. ::) Yes you are right, sometimes it´s hard to know if it´s a rip or some genuine free graphics. If you haven´t played the game and the text says nothing it´s quite hard.

Quote:

Hmm... maybe you can get permission to use them if they are outdated. Maybe you can mail Nintendo, Sega or any right holder and ask them.

I think that would be hard though, right holders with big names seldom give away any rights at all as a policy. Nintendo has activly persued users of ripped graphics, even when in free projects and told them to remove their software or be sued (amongst others there where a couple of Nintendo games converted to PalmOS which had to be removed, don´t have the link anymore though).

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Thanks for Sharing TEOFH

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Just like I told him he'd find too. And still he complained! :D ;)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

Just like I told him he'd find too. And still he complained!

Yes it´s best if they are completely free. However i can do with rips as well as long as they fit in (at the moment, and get rid of them later in which case some completely free graphics would be nice, i am sure that there are some out there waiting to be found).

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I think someone got authorization to do a Donkey Kong clone from Nintendo, back 2 or 3 years ago. Never seen the project finished, but if the guy was right, Nintendo might not have problems as long as your game is not commercial and you specify about the permission you were given.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Yes, perhaps it´s just a question of asking them for permission before instead of afterwards.

On a different case, i saw a Lemmings clone done in javascript (i am sure a lot of you have seen it to), it was free and non commercial but had to be taken down as the copyright holders (or more exactly some firm representing them) contacted them with threats of suing if it wasn´t removed.

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

Free games are another possible source of Free graphics than doesn't seem to recieve much consideration.

If you are making a GPLed game you shopuld be able to legally take graphics from any other GPLed game.

I'm not certain, but if a game is public domain, would not its content, such as graphics, then seperately be public domain also?

---
--
-

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

If you are making a GPLed game you shopuld be able to legally take graphics from any other GPLed game.

It's the code that's GPL'd, not the graphics.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

X-G said:

It's the code that's GPL'd, not the graphics.

No. It's generally the entire product that is GPL.

GPL Preamble said:

Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom...that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs;...

If what you say were the case, how would you propose one legally use any GPLed software with a graphic component, unless that graphic component is seperately licensed? I must say that I've never knowingly come across any software which explicitly states that content is not under license or uses a different license for content than sources.

In some cases, such as Doom (as it is an engine), only the sources are released under the GPL.

---
--
-

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

No. It's generally the entire product that is GPL.

I see you quoted the GPL. Well, look at what it says: the software. Graphical resources are not software.

Quote:

I must say that I've never knowingly come across any software which explicitly states that content is not under license or uses a different license for content than sources.

Doom. Quake. Quake 2. And later this year, Quake 3. They are all opensourced, but the content is very much copyright iD.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

Quote:

Graphical resources are not software.

I, and expect most people, would say otherwise.

Quote:

Doom. Quake. Quake 2. And later this year, Quake 3. They are all opensourced, but the content is very much copyright iD.

That is because the source package only is open source not the entire game. With most free software this in not the case.

---
--
-

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

I, and expect most people, would say otherwise.

If you read the GPL, you'll notice it only says "software" in the preamble. The actual text uses the term "Program", and graphics are arguably not programs. The GPL does not (and can not?) cover non-program resources that ship with your game.

Quote:

With most free software this in not the case.

That's right: with most (but not all). And this is because most free software programmers choose to both GPL the code and release the graphics freely as well. But, it is by no means a requirement of the GPL, nor is it a default state or anything you can just assume. The graphics don't have to be GPL'd just because the program is.

--

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

Quote:

But, it is by no means a requirement of the GPL, nor is it a default state or anything you can just assume.

I never said otherwise.

If a game is GPL then all parts fall under the GPL. If a game's source is GPL then only that game's source fall under the GPL.

---
--
-

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Quote:

I never said otherwise.

No, you certainly didn't. ::)

"GPLed game" is a very ambiguous term; usually, it refers to only the source code being GPL'ed. In fact, that's the only thing the GPL applies to; program source code and the availability thereof. The GPL has no provisions covering non-program material, such as graphics. Those have to be licensed separately, under a non-GPL license (although they need not be compatible with the GPL - see the 'mere aggregation' clauses in the GPL).

The lesson? Just because a game is GPL'd, doesn't mean you "should be able to legally take graphics" from it. Always check if you have permission to reuse the graphics separately for your own projects.

--

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

Quote:

No, you certainly didn't.

Indeed, as I said: "from any other GPLed game." Not: "from any other game with GPLed sources."

GPL covers the software. Software is not just source. If a program cannot function in absense of a component then that component is a necessary part of the software, such as with a game and it's graphics, maps, etc.

---
--
-

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

GPL covers the software.

No. Read past the preamble, and you'll notice it covers the Program.

--

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

GPL Preamble said:

This License applies to any program or other work...

GPL Preamble said:

...The "Program", below, refers to any such program or work...

What do you consider the Program then, if not the software?

---
--
-

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

The source code, and executables produced by the source code. You can't seriously argue that graphics constitute a program?

--

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

Certainly. If a program requires user interaction and that is provided in part graphically, then those graphics cannot be separated from the program, without the program becoming meaningless.

---
--
-

1   2 

Go to: