Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » matthew smith ;)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
matthew smith ;)
X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm trying to make something now... now, I need to build a tile editor, which is annoying. >:(

23, got source for MapSlapper anywhere?

http://olympus.olf.sgsnet.se:8000/argent-running.gif

EDIT: Yes, I did miss your edit. But trust me, it's NOT easier or more fun at its original speed; if anything it's 200% as frustrating. It's MUCH more fun at 200% or 300%.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

Too bad they take so long to make.

Tell me about it... :o
I should have done a tetris game! :D

EDIT: The emulator needs to play manic miner at 100% for it to be playable. 300% is just too fast. Jet Set Willy is a different kind of game. More open ended and less linear. I still love it! :)

Although these kind of games are difficult, at the end of the day it is entirely the players fault if he mistimes a jump. :D

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Nice animation, X-G. :) What happened to that blob puzzle game? ???

Quote:

23, got source for MapSlapper anywhere?

Yes, but it uses Win32/Allegro. If that's not a problem, here's the old thread (I assume the link there still works ;D). It shouldn't take a body long to alter the program to suit their needs ...

Quote:

I should have done a tetris game!

I need to finish and spruce up my Panel Panic game some day (the Tetris Attack clone). And add customizable skins. Maybe I'll do it in OpenGL. :)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

What happened to that blob puzzle game?

Lack of motivation, loss of interest, distraction, et cetera. Mostly lack of motivation though. I will probably go back to it at one point. It happens.

Quote:

Yes, but it uses Win32/Allegro

And I use..? ;)

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Thought you might be running Linux. :)

Heh; I recall that "Fetishists of map making" line now from "Hey hey 16k". Even had Manic Miner in the background during that line. ;D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Yep! ;)

I'm running Windows at the moment. Maybe at some point I'll write a more portable map editor but there's no rush... while on the subject, does anyone know if you can integrate Allegro with GTK+ easily?

EDIT: Oh, and here's some tiles:

http://olympus.olf.sgsnet.se:8000/tilemockup.png

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Nice gfx! You do those? :)

Jet Set Willy was even worse Chris. 80 Rooms arranged in a vague house like structure. (Not linear like Manic Miner). It was fun just trying to get to see every room, never mind collect all the items. ;D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Yep, all original graphics...

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Heh; those background columns look just like tiles from my last TMS IotD. :) I think I stole them from Metroid: Zero Missions, but I forget. :)

Look great, anyway.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I wish I could do gfx like that. I end up being stuck for inspiration..

Yep, they do look great. I hope you put them to good use in a game. :)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Metroid: Zero Missions, but I forget.

You did. Because I did too. ;)

--

Dassedare
Member #3,824
August 2003

Hehe... its fun to read all this

X-G you said something about that you cant control the character in the air.. and yes that´s the point of making a game lot more harder.
you must plan, and do pixelperfect jumps.. and that is just soooo wonderful and I have finished manic miner lots of times and still play it at least one time per week.. just coz I love it so much..
instant death in MM? in JSW its kind of boring if you jump into a certain fatal object from another screen.. but in MM? dont think its possible..

"I`m in love with MINER WILLY"

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

you must plan, and do pixelperfect jumps

Exactly. The problem is the only way to find out which pixel you need to jump at is trial and error, error here meaning instant death which in turn means you'll have to play each level about 50-60 times before you pass it, only to be thrown right into an even harder level that takes 20 extra tries to figure out every exact damn pixel where you need to jump.

--

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

As long as the character does't jump a different distance each level, this is hard to believe.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

It is possible to get a hang of it, but you will still make mistakes; and since you only have 3, and no way to get more extra lives, you will be replaying from the beginning a lot. A LOT.

Seriously, a game being hard isn't the same as a game being frustrating.

--

DanTheKat
Member #1,990
March 2002

Quote:

for instance, the Castlevania and Metroid games for the GBA.

Yes. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is a great game, but I figure 23yrold would hate it because it's so darn easy.

---
"Even the best spellcaster can't transmute bread into bread." - spellcaster

Dassedare
Member #3,824
August 2003

In both MM and JSW you can make a safety-jump (meanwhile you are in the air you turn in left or right direction and when you land again you bounce away kind of safe) ;)

a hard game long much longer and of course its frustrated but that´s the point..hehe.. we can´t all love the same game ;)

EDIT: you can get extra lifes in MM, but dont remember how much points you must get first..

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

of course its frustrated but that´s the point

Again, if you can't make a game hard without simultaneously making it frustrating, you've failed miserably. :P

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I think it's more a case that our perceptions of games and how they should work have changed (evolved?). Twenty years ago this kind of gameplay was normal and accepted. Now it wouldn't go down very well to people used to continues and more forgiving gameplay mechanics.

I don't think we could say either is right or wrong. But instead that each refelects a different approach to platform gameplay.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

(I am well aware that this is an extreme example, but it illustrates my point - please don't make more of it than is necessary): By that logic slavery was neither right nor wrong, because it was normal and accepted X number of years ago. :P

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

(I am well aware that this is an extreme example, but it illustrates my point - please don't make more of it than is necessary

I'm sorry? I don't understand what you mean by this. What are you refering to Peter?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

What I'm saying is, whether a phenomenon (be it slavery or frustratingly hard games) is a good thing or not is completely irrelevant to whether people consider it normal and accepted or not. Hence, your logic above that it can't be said to have been bad or not because it was accepted once is a non sequitur. :)

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Wow! That sentence is really difficult to understand after a few bottles of Belgium Leffe Beer. :o

Sorry I've tried reading and rereading that several times and I can't follow your logic. I think I should go to bed. :P ;)

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Yay all! I am back online :)

X-G is right, JSW has a sucky instant death which can cost all your lives. This was fixed (by someone else, Derrick Rowson) in JSW 2 by having safe spots which you respawn at instead of just appearing where you came into the screen.

It's all obvious once someone else does it ;D

P.S. thanks for all the kind words :) (/me puts head in the juicer)

Dassedare
Member #3,824
August 2003

wohoo!! welcome back matty! well if instant death is something negative i must be insane then ;) coz I cant stop love those games.. haha..

1   2   3   4 

Go to: