Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Editing Serious Sam Textures

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Editing Serious Sam Textures
Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

I'm looking for an editor that will allow me to modify 32bit Serious Sam .TEX Texture files. It's actually for Deer Hunter 2003, but they use the same engine I believe.

I've been googling, but I can't find an editor yet, except one called Wally. It only supports up to 24bit textures, but the game uses 32bit.

Anyone help?

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Are the textures simply images? Can you find out the file format and make a tex->bmp->tex convertor?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Well, I've tried just renaming them to various picture formats, but none worked.

They are just pictures, but I don't know the format. I found one "TEX Converter" but when I converted to PCX it was in grayscale instead of the normal color.

I have an Editor that came with DeerHunter called SeriousSkaStudio, and if I try to open a Texture with it, it shows up in the preview window, but gives me an error when I open it. I assume it doesn't want to allow me to edit textures.

hehe, here is what the file looks like opened in notepad. this is just a tiny chunk off the top.
'
'

TVERTDAT	FRMSdVFi\LdWFgYFMB5H?2QF9K<0I>1_SEaSDvhTK?/M@1SD5ZK:l`NbUEWK;k\KWI8m\HykVQB1n`JgXI_QCj[Hn_K`SBH>0^P<r_HSB3XK8ZM>zjRygPudLudM‡qVš…hfWDr^Jšˆs¦r™…g›ˆp®—~ˆqT¥Žp¯™|}hPŽy\Ÿ‰l´} ‡p¶šx£‹kygO–„g”|deQž‰p¢‹oÀ¨„…gŠrT‰oTš€c¯˜y«’v

------------

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

A Google for ".tex file format serious sam" looks promising ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

That's pretty much what I searched for, but I'm still looking through the results.

------------

Adol
Member #2,328
May 2002

I'm dumb!, I just bought that game like 4 days ago. My roomate and I spent a good 6 hours playing cooperative, then deathmatch. Personally I think it is better done then quake3. (A newer game I bet, but still.)

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Deer Hunter 2003 is better than Quake?...isn't it just a hunting game?

Breakman79
Member #1,236
April 2001

I think he means Serious Sam, not Deer Hunter. I've always wanted to try that game.

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

I'm dumb!, I assume since he mentioned "deathmatch" mode he was talking about Serious Sam, not Deer Hunter.

I've still not found a good .TEX editor, or even a way to convert to and from the .TEX files. (sigh)

But actually, DH2003 is a great game, if you like hunting sims. It's the most realistic I've played. and I do actually hunt deer in real life, so I know at least a little bit about it =)

------------

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I've still not found a good .TEX editor, or even a way to convert to and from the .TEX files.

Don't you just hate it when an extension is used for more than one file type? ;)

Anyway, a friend of mine complained a while back that Paint Shop Pro (I think, might have been Photoshop) re-registered the .tex extension to itself without asking, which annoyed him not a little.
Anyway, this leads me to suspect that either of those may be able to open the image format. Not that either is free, of course...

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

I have PSP 7, it wouldn't open the .TEX file unfortunately =(

I found a .TEX converter, but it doesn't work quite right.. Here is what happens. (download attachment)

The top is what it should look like, the bottom is the .TGA file that I get.

------------

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Radagar, do a simple RGB<->BGR conversion on the TGA. The red and blue colors are just switched around.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Uhh, how do I do that?

------------

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

There might be an option to switch red and blue colors somewhere in PSP (Infranview can, if you have that). If not, just make a small program with Allegro to swap red and blue values.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

In PSP, you can split an image in a red, blue and green channel (well, you could in version 4 anyway). These you can recombine in any permutation you wish (you can also use a totally different image for some extremely weird colours).

Go to: