Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 5 released!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Allegro 5 released!
Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

The move from 4.0 to 5.0 went quicker than expected, so I'm happy to anounce the release of Allegro 5.0!

What's new:
- New API
- Multiscreen/Multiwindow support
- DirectX 9 drivers
- Video playback and encoding
- Merge of FBlend, AllegroGL, DUMB, JGMOD, libnet, GNE, ppcol, AllegroMP3, AllegPeg and PMask.
- Speech synthesis/recognition
- Removed duplicate API entries (no more masked_blit nor draw_sprite or equivalent)
- DOS port was removed due to lack of support for new DirectX 9 drivers
- 4D graphics
- Ports to the X-Box and GameCube.
- PHP support
- Hardware accelerated mind control
- We're better than SDL now.
- New distribution format. To save space, we're using LZip compression. zip and tar.gz formats should follow shortly.

You can download it right here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/alleg/all50.lzip

Edit: posted new feature list.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

How well does the X-Box port work? Did Shawn contribute to this or something. :o

No DOS support is a bummer though... :'(

For some reason this new compression type doesn't work for me! >:( Will someone please release a zip version too? :-/

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Yeah, Shawn dropped by and merged in his X-Box port that he was building the whole time.

About the compression, we know of some issues with the decompression program. Hopefully those will be resolved soon so we can fully use LZip.

--
- Bob

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Chris: You're not extracting it properly. You need to use Kazaa, or else it'll conflict with c:\pr0n and BonziBuddy. There was a feedback doc in this somewhere, but I lost it.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

My pr0n folder is on my drive D (my C drive is too small...) Does this matter? ???

But I want Bonzi, because that is going to be my next avator. Good guess , btw. ;)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Chris: Well, DUH. There's no 'D' in Allegro, of COURSE it won't work. And Bonzi is already too hairy to get a beard. God, he looks like the offspring of Chewbacca and the teletubbies on speed.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

This is confusing. I was using mIRC to create the archive...

--
- Bob

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

I thought it wasn't done till the summer? But that's cool! Is Shawn breaking contract by making an x-box port?

I can't get lzip to work. Can someone explain it to me.

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

lzip stole my idea! but my lossy compression works better, you just have to know how to use it Chris. ::)

its a cool concept and i glad to see allegro supports it now.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Chris: Hm. If IRC, there was a bug in Pr0nloader that made it download teletubby pr0n all the time, thus effectively breaking down Bonzi.

--

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

The new version is quite cool.
I'm using a multi node quicktime as the menu for my current game right now, which is pretty cool, since you can now script your menus...

There seems to be a problem with the sound after using al_video_play_overlay(). After playing a short MPEG, I get some strange distortions with in game audio.

But this is just nitpicking. It's great work, and the project converter works like a breeze. After some small manual code adjustments, everything worked like a charm.
It's cool that FLI/FLCs are auto converted to MPEG2 if lame is installed.

The speech API seems not to work correctly. Do I have to install some other packages first?

4d gfx.. hm. While I think it's a cool name, it's a bit misleading. If I understand it correctly it's "just" a bone system which allows for time based modifiers. (Not sure here, I just run the demo...)

Nice work.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Well, for 4d graphics, you tend to lose a lot of the effect, since you're projecting them back into a 2D display. However, with the advent of 3D displays, 4D graphics technology will be developing. Since Allegro already supports 4D graphics, this makes it the library of choice for developing the first and best 4D games.

--
- Bob

the_y_man
Member #1,770
December 2001

I dont have linux! Im running windowze, so can somebody actually make a zip file for me? Is this file an update from 4.01 to 5? If not, lzip must be hell of a compression algorithm!

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

Just me? or the instructions for lzip a little lacking. Someone, for THE LOVE OF GOD give me a little help here.

Either that or give me a zip. (I've had an allegro craving since the api proposal, and It must be filled!)

P.S. i hope this aint an april fools joke.

the_y_man
Member #1,770
December 2001

This better not be a joke, im getting really desperate to try the new allegro! SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE A ZIP VERSION OF IT!!!!!

DanTheKat
Member #1,990
March 2002

What EXACTLY is 4D? Width, Height, Depth... What else IS there!?

Looking at previous posts I don't see that this can be April foos.

---
"Even the best spellcaster can't transmute bread into bread." - spellcaster

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

I was sure the instructions for un-lzipping were in the LZip FAQ.

--
- Bob

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I never got it to work... I even burnned a lot of my transformers pr0n to a cd-rom. :'(

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

The zipped version is rather larger. Why don't you use lzip? I simply used a single disk linux distro which I have just for exacty this purpose (running cool linux proggies).

But I think a win version of lzip is in the works.

EDIT: Dan, the 4th dimension is time. From what I've seen in the demos, it allows you to specify the modification of a model over a given time.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

spellcaster: No, it's actually a fourth spacial dimention. The 4D mesh is then projected back to a 3D space, which is then projected to a 2D screen. With 3D displays, we can skip that last step and get to see all the cool stuff that 4D can bring.
I do admit that Allegro currently fakes the fourth dimention by introducing space-time relativity in the transformation equations. We think that this would better model the back-projection from 4D to 2D. Of course, there is an optional switch to revert to regular "linear" transforms, for 3D displays.

23yrold3yrold: Oh please. It's not because you were unable to unzip Allegro 5 that it doesn't exist. The fact that it was released on April 1 is purely coincidental.

--
- Bob

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

That PHP support should make Synapse Jumps happy ::)

Anycase, good jaerb, looking forward to it :)

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

nice job on the lzip faq.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I love this thread. ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Someone's being very lazy this year ...

--

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

I can't believe this thread is 2 years old today. That means Allegro 5 is two years old now!

When is Allegro 6.0 due out?

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

1   2   3 

Go to: