Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » DE will be no more

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
DE will be no more
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I realize this is considered 'spamming', but I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this (even the very few that aren't a part of the mailing list).
quote:
After some long and hard consideration I've decided that as of midnight on December 31 DE will be no more. I have been online so much trying to learn to program that my relationship with my fiancee has suffered a little. As a result of this I gave myself an altimatum to chose between programming and her. In the end I chose her. So when midnight comes on December 31, 2001 (tomorrow) DE, me, and the rest will be no more. I will still have copyright to the DE name and slogan and will sue anyone that uses them. I've learned a lot from everyone on Allegro and I will not forget what I've learned from them. So as the last order of business this is my last post concerning Allegro. I'll probably answer a few responses to this post but if you reply after the 31 then I won't because I'll no longer be getting on the computer. Good-bye.

That says everything I wanted to say. You'll no longer see DE or me on allegro anymore.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

It is possible to just spend less time playing on the computer. Do a little when you can and you'll get stuff done. But if that's the conclusion you reached, so be it. Good luck, eh?

Quote:

I will still have copyright to the DE name and slogan and will sue anyone that uses them.

??? Why?!?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Chris, I'm keeping the copyright because I will sometime down the road startup DE again. This way if I keep the copyright I know I'll still be able to use it when I do start DE again.

I've tried to do a little at a time when I get the chance, but I'm worried my fiancee will think I'm flirting with other women online. That's how I got her I flirted with her online and we have been together since. Plus the only free time I have is late at night when she is asleep. During the day I'm doing chores and helping out around the house.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Destined Entertainment ]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Aahhhh, you're coming back one day 8-) Ah well, you'll make a cool game someday.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

llyod
Member #754
November 2000

Good luck, you crazy cook. ;)

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

quote: I'm worried my fiancee will think I'm flirting with other women online
You could just explain what you're doing ... but I guess not.
Have a nice life, then.
[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Zaphos ]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Other women.

Here.

snicker :D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Waitaminute... you can't copyright a name... I don't think... You can TRADEMARK a name, but that costs money, and you have to know how to use a trademark without causing it to be invalidated.
The idea is that a copyright is supposed to protect an artistic/scientific/etc. work from being infringed on by another individual or company. You copyright creative things, computer games, artwork, music compositions, sculptures, stuff like that.
You trademark non-artistic things or identificative symbols/slogans/etc. Like names and logos. Plus, name trademarks are ADJECTIVES by default, because as nouns they risk becoming mainstream usage (like Kleenex and Coke) and thus cannot be adequately maintained as a trademark. That's why they always say "PepsiTM Soda" or "Rice KrispiesTM Cereal" when you read them in sentences.
Neat hunh?
What was I getting at...? Oh yeah, I'm not sure if you can copyright a name or not so you may wanna look into that should you make good your threat to anyone in the future.
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
"Since he wanted to submit PixelShips to Activision, (and failed miserably), he had to look through all that copyright stuff to make sure he wouldn't get ripped off."

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Gemini you're right I used the wrong term. I've got the name 'Destined Entertainment' trademarked. And Zaphos she knows what I do but I still worry about what she thinks.

nicholle
Member #1,024
February 2001

OK, just cuz i'm a girl, and this is well, kinda a girl issue... i have to put my 2 cents in here...
Being that the two of you are getting married, she should accept whatever your hobby is.
yes, that also has its lines. if your hobby is running around naked in the streets, that really cannot be accepted.
but your hobby is programming! its not some sick, twisted fetish type thing.
Groucho Marx once said:
Marriage is an institution, but who ever wanted to live in an institution?
Why should someone have to comply with someone to marry them? isn't marriage about love and devotion? "through sickness and in health"
hehe - "through nights of programming and allegro"
Its just in my opinion that you shouldn't have to give up something that you love and worked for, because someone else wants you to. i realize its not the programming, its the time it's taking away from her.
And yes, i know you won't care about any of this, or listen to one word because you're in "love" - and me saying that you should evaluate the whole "love" thing would probably make you mad...
so i'm not going to
BUT..............................
Lets say i hypothetically dated someone who happens to have the same hobby as you. And perhaps they spent a majority of their time pouring themselves into this hobby. Maybe through all this, i hardly ever saw them for this reason.
If i really loved that person, i would never expect them to give that up. never. simply because i knew it made them happy. That would mean that i was trying to change that person in order to please MYSELF.
so i guess i'm just thinking that she should give a little. what will you do with all that extra time on your hands? it's not healthy to spend every waking minute with someone.
and i just think that if i were ever in that situation, i would let the guy do what he wanted. if i knew he loved me, that would be all that mattered. every person is different though, and i understand that.
It's a hobby. You enjoy it. Its part of you, and she should accept that, along with your marriage vows.
[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: nicholle ]
[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: nicholle ]

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

DE IS SO WHIPPED!!!

;) Just kidding bro, good luck with the married thing, we're always here for ya.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

We'll be here for you, but most of us have no EXP. POINTS in marriage.

Good luck! :D

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Nicholle, you have a good point. There is only one problem, I'm taking time out of programming of my own choice not because I was told to by anyone. My fiancee is all for my hobby, but I just spend too much time on it so I'm taking a break from it for a couple of years until she finishes college. Nicholle I didn't get mad at people I just get really down sometimes.

gnudutch,me whipped? Just because I fetch her slippers, do her hair, and jump when she wants me to doesn't make me whipped. Does it? ;)

Matthew, thanks :). I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for everything else too :).

nicholle
Member #1,024
February 2001

Different strokes for different folks...

thats what it all comes down to. maybe i just really dislike any kind of control, who knows....

but good luck :)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

gnudutch: ;D :D

matthew: At least a few of us. DE and myself are engaged, I believe Justin_W is married. Hmm. 'Bout it :P

DE: Take care, eh?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

DE: Sounds like she needs to get a life.

The same thing happened to me. "The computer or me!" Needless to say that the divorce went well. :D

Actually there were other problems involved, but we won't go there.

Personally, I think you need to get a life also.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

There's a huge dif. between "the computer or me" (said by the girl) and "I want to spend less time with the computer so that I can spend more time with the girl" (said by the guy). The first is extremist, and indicates a bad relationship. The second is just a life choice that anyone can make, and there's nothing wrong with it. It sounds like this is the second ... so ... if this is the case ... nothing wrong with that!

Good luck to DE, hope everything goes well!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

DH: I hope you saying "need to get a life" is just in jest, if not it's rather cruel. If I remember correctly she has a disability, so a lot of what DE does for her may be to help her with things easy for you and me to do.

It's good to see people who aren't full of themselves, being able to sacrifice for others.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Good point Zaphos :)

Quote:

If I remember correctly she has a disability.

Whazzat? ??? I don't remember that ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Chris: Matthew has good memory. My fiancee has Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSH or FSHD for short. Also known as Landouzy-Dejerine). You can read up on it if you want at this url:FSH

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I might not show it in my writing, but if you ever get to talk to any of my friends, they'll tell you that I'm one big funny guy. Sometimes too funny, but It's my nature. Personally, I think everyone here should get a life. :D

It just sounded too close to home. I wasn't even spending that much time on the computer as I am now. It just happened that I was her sole entertainment. Of course me working the night shift didn't help matters either. She really needed a life, and she found it. Now were both better off, but I drift.

I like DE, I've always told him he could ask me for help anytime. I think he's going over board. He can cut the time down. He doesn't have to shut down completely.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I think Clayton should change his sig to "Destined Entertainment, Allegro Developer". That would mean that DE is DEAD. :P

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Owet Softwares
Member #543
July 2000

I believe that this forum will be forgotten soon. wink

Richard Garriot rules.. That clear the thing is.
www.owetsoftwares.cjb.net

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Just one thing..

DE: you said that "the only free time I have is late at night when she is asleep". If you are not in the same room disturbing her then how is that stopping you from sharing your time with her when you are programming and she is asleep? Or do you mean that you want her to fall asleep with you instead of alone?

Everyone say "awwwww!"

Well good luck and all, I think it's great that you are so devoted to her. :)

Rich.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Richard Phipps: I've been keeping an eye on this thread. And I felt it necessary to tell you why I don't program at night. The reason I don't program at night is because most of the time I try to get sleep during the night like 'normal' people. I only program during the day and I only program at night if I'm in crunch time during a project. During the day I've got a life and will soon be working a twelve hour shift from 8PM to 8AM every night. So whatever time I have will disappear because I have to go to an interview/orientation Monday at 11AM. My time will be divided between my fiancee and work, so I'll have no time after Monday for my hobby.

The place I'm going to work at is called Print Pack and I'll be trying to get on as a plate prep. Print Pack is one of the companies that puts the logos on the bread bags for like Wonder Bread, etc. and a plate prep puts glue on the back of the plates with the logos on it (easy 12 hour job for $10 an hour) and then you can go to Plate mounter who is the person who mounts the plates on the rollers for the machines and it pays more than the plate prep.

As you can see my time will dwindle down to nothing now. I've made the only decision I could come to. I mean figure it up: 12 hour night shift (which could possibly become 12 hour day shifts), get home at 8AM, get some sleep, wake up about 2PM or so, spend time with my fiancee from 2PM or 3PM until I go to work at 8PM(only 5 to 6 hours to spend with her, give or take a few hours depending on how long I sleep when I lay down after 8AM).

1   2 

Go to: