Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What are some popular/famous games made with allegro?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
What are some popular/famous games made with allegro?
ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

Hi, I've been learning allegro for a while and I think it's a very good library for 2d games. I mean, it gives you total control over the game, no design is imposed on you. At the same time, it gives you basic rendering, support for shaders and portability. It's perfect to build a game or a more complex engine on top of it.

However, it seems that(no offence, but) a lot of people prefer sdl or sfml over allegro. Why? SDL provides less features for rendering, so unless you are using opengl and doing the rendering yourself, SDL has no advantages over allegro when it comes to 2d drawing.

Now, to the point. Allegro seems to be a perfect suitable library for building a game on top of it, so, what popular games are there made with allegro? What higher level frameworks/engines are made with allegro?

Any replies would be appreciated, thanks!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Alex the Alligator 4 comes to mind.

http://allegator.sourceforge.net/

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Also a little thing Called Icy Tower. Though i'm not sure that was ever ported to Allegro 5.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

oh, yeah, I saw that one. Pretty damn addictive!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

My game is a pretty big project and will help showcase a big project with Allegro that will be X platform https://www.facebook.com/StemwaterSpades it's up to 66,000 lines, plus my GUI which is 20K lines.

I believe Trent's games are a pretty good showcase of good quality large projects made with A5.

If I had to guess why the other ones are popular, #1 reason, nicer looking websites, #2 reason, binaries, and lots of them, # 3 I want to say probably better community; while I love it here and think everyone here is very nice, other people seem to think certain people on the forums are assholes. >:( (They have just never heard of sarcasm >:( )

Because I honestly believe A5 is much better than SFML2 and SDL2, but you have to know what you are doing to compile it for all platforms, but it is a solid feature-rich set of APIs.

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Also a little thing Called Icy Tower. Though i'm not sure that was ever ported to Allegro 5.

The Mac version uses Allegro 5.

Beat Hazard Ultra is an Allegro 5 game as well.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Factorio uses Allegro I think.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

jmasterx said:

SFML2 and SDL2

I think these are our cohort competition, but our real competition (the reason people don't use allegro more, and the reason you don't see high caliber projects) is because people are moving to Unity and browser based game development. C/C++ is a tough place to start.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

The Game was made with Allegro. It will be soon ported to allgro 5.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I think these are our cohort competition, but our real competition (the reason people don't use allegro more, and the reason you don't see high caliber projects) is because people are moving to Unity and browser based game development. C/C++ is a tough place to start.

The unreal engine makes use of C++ quite extensively and now that it's open source it will probably attract a lot more developers. I strongly doubt that they'll switch to a lower level API though.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I seem to remember that Allegro 4 was attractive to hobby game developers and there really weren't a lot of other options like it at the time. But now, that demographic has shifted and has become interested in different tools. I'm not sure what niche Allegro 5 actually fills at this point, but I believe it can no longer be the audience that was Allegro 4.

Personally, I see Allegro 5 as a native, cross-platform multimedia library. I've used it for so many things, but ironically not really to make games.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I think the biggest barrier to entry is probably the C/C++ language itself. I love working with it, but it took me a good 4 years to really learn it. My philosophy was that, if I learn C++ really well, then C#, Java, PHP, Objective-C, etc will all come very easily, which is true. I must say learning Haskell this year was quite a challenge though, I felt like I was starting over, but functional programming I think is a good way to learn how to code better in C-like languages.

I like C# too, for asp .net web development, but I just find tools like Unity and Unreal are overkill for a good bunch of 2D projects. Using C# / mono has a performance penalty that has to be worth it. Using really high level libraries has advantages for rapid development, but when you try to make something pretty big and custom, you end up either having to buy a bunch of plugins, or you write a fair amount of boilerplate code anyways to get what you want.

In my own game project, to really get what I wanted, I'm not sure how I really would have done it in Unity. First of all, there are very few aspects of C#/ Unity plugins that I feel would have sped up my development. I think certain parts of the GUI would have come faster, but I really wanted a very custom look and feel. I further customized that for iOS and Retina by hand.

I also have over 100 network events. While RPC would have made that easier than the way I am doing it, I still need 100+ network events, and I still need an event system that will be able to send messages to all my game objects. Unity helps eliminate a lot of boilerplate code, but you still have to be a good programmer and write a fair amount of code to write something big and interesting. Unity will never be able to code the game's logic for you, which is the bulk of my code.

But that doesn't really matter because having to use C/C++ is a realistically big deal for people in 2015. No GC, have to understand pointers, STL, know how to compile and use third-party libraries, etc. I can see how that is not very appealing in 2015.

An object-oriented port of A5 to C#, with some way to easily deploy your program on browser,desktop,mobile would probably score some nice points with people. I am sure there are a fair amount of people who are just intimidated by C/C++, but wish they had finer control than Unity.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

jmasterx said:

An object-oriented port of A5 to C#, with some way to easily deploy your program on browser,desktop,mobile would probably score some nice points with people.

Sounds like an existential crisis to me. If you're not bringing anything new to the table, what is the point?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A direct port to a higher-level language defeats some of the point of using a high-level language. Some of the design decisions were affected by C. The API could be redesigned with the power of a higher-level language. Of course, you could go ahead and build a Unity killer in C# or Python or whatever that uses Allegro 5 under the hood. I don't think it would work out being very good unless you were strongly motivated to do it, and do it for a specific purpose.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

What you're bringing is a very simple abstraction for engine development, which is what Allegro is. But if there is already something that does that then it would be useless. Unity I do not consider a replacement because it is much higher level.

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

I don't get how a lot of people use unity or other high level engines, all the engines like unity ask you to pay if you release a commercial game made with it. Also, c/c++ is the standard for game development, using c# will affect performance, they're not native and run inside a vm(pretty much like java). I just thought that people would want to avoid using these engines/frameworks, specially because of flexibility.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The overhead of a virtual machine doesn't necessarily have to be too much. Consider mobile games. Most of those are probably running on a virtual machine of some sort. A virtual machine can do a lot of stuff these days. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. The advantages of a high-level programming platform may outweigh the performance, especially for 2D games or silly 3D games. Zero Point Software has managed to squeeze enough performance out of Unity for Interstellar Marines. Alas, Unity performs very poorly in Linux so far, but I think the Windows port is relatively smooth. Hopefully the Unity developers are working on Linux optimizations...

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

yeah, I know I'm just being obsessive, as I read somewhere, "99% of the times, the engine is fast as in fast enough". For simple 2d games it doesn't make any difference to run the game inside a vm

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

It's not so much the VM overhead that bothers me. It is more about the fact that I do not want to be tied to an engine, at least not for a 2D project. Like others have said on other threads, Unity could go out of business tomorrow and you would never be able to support new platforms. Odds are if Unity went out of business they would release Unity open-source, but still, scary thought for me. I also like to have complete control.

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

you know, I've been using libgdx for some time and the reason why I came down here(yea, "down here" means "this low level" xD) is because with frameworks, it's all about magic. You write, let's say, an "update" function, and it gets called every frame. You implement an interface(abstract class for c++ devs), and your class now manages the input. Everything works kind of obscurely, you never get control over how things works. That's annoying, and the reason why I don't like frameworks(although it was easier to get things done).

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Anything by Peitz or Trent. There have been a number of Steam games, as well, and don't forget the most compatible Game Boy emulator on the Internet.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Not necessarily famous, but wasn't there a Tetris champion who practiced using Allegro Tetris? I couldn't find the thread.

--

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

There are still people actively posting Let's Plays of Zelda Classic on YouTube.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Before, people who wanted to make games had no choice but to learn C and use low level libraries like Allegro or SDL. Many were not up to the challenge and got nowhere. Those people now use existing game engines, and if they work for those people, then that's great for them!

But Allegro 5 is for people who want pedal-to-the-metal performance and low level control. Or for new programmers who understand that it's best to learn programming the hard way by starting with C. Unity and Javascript frameworks, etc are not competitors, but tools for a different, less hard-core audience.

Finally, while I'd like Allegro to have more developers, I don't use it because it's famous, but because it does what I need it to do. :)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Wasn't one of the more popular tile editors written in Allegro? Am I hallucinating?

If any other titles come to mind, you know what to do.

1   2 

Go to: