Depot Games: Bollen
#14 during February 2010
Links: Web Site
The latest game from the swedish indie-developer Monokey. Bollen (means 'the ball' in swedish) is a cute puzzle/platformer with nice pixeled graphics and very nice oldskool-type music. The goal of the game is to lead Bollen to the red flag. There're enemies (and friends too) on the way however. Bollen can only move left and right and must use the green ghosts or the jumpblocks in order to get to higher places. Collect 25 coins for an extra life and collect the golden cup on all levels to unlock the secret extra stages. Try it out!
* Bollen is now animated (can be turned on/off in the settings-menu)
* The text "1 up" will be displayed when you get an extra life!
* The text "100%" has been changed slightly
* You can now lock the camera by pressing ENTER or gamepad button 1. Press it again to release the camera.
* To scroll the map you must hold down ENTER or gamepad button 1. Then use your direction keys or gamepad directionbuttons to scroll the map.
* A few levels has been polished and optimized.
* A new LOADER-application which will let you set various graphic options.
* It is now possible to run the game in true 320x240 resolution.
* It is now possible to run the game in 8bpp colormode (256 colors).
* The format for the stageset files has been changed slightly. More information in the developer.txt with the Bollen Development Package 1.1
* When you reach a new world you can start from it any time (in game mode) by selecting CONTINUE from the GAME-menu. (To unlock the extra levels however you must still play from the beginning!)
* You can now pause the game with SPACE. (true pause which mutes sound!)
* The logfile has been a bit updated and we can now track bugs a little more easily!
* Cooler mainmenu when the game is super cleared (when you unlock the secret levels!)
* You can delete demos with the DELETE-key in the DEMOPLAYBACK-menu.
* And a lot more behind-the-scenes code that you won't probably even notice.
Overall Rating: 9.3
- Nice graphics, and music (ad nauseam). Amazing what you can do with just left and right controls.
- Bollen is a great game, one of the best that I've played in a while. Such a simple concept, but it's really fun and addictive. Graphics, music, controls, it's all fantastic.
- This is a very well-done game. Keep up the good work!