Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So I went to the doctor...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
So I went to the doctor...
Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Vanneto said:

Isn't a month the time it takes for the moon to revolve around the Earth?

No. There are 13 moons per annum, but the Gregorian calendar has only 12 months.

Quote:

Wait... Aren't we already doing this?

Not with the Gregorian calendar.

bamccaig said:

If anything, we should move to some kind of sensible constant of time that makes sense anywhere in the universe

I think something more personal makes the most sense. Measuring time from Alpha Centauri isn't going to benefit us unless we're there. Using just our solar system isn't going to give us all of the information. We can use the positions of the outer stars as well, they also change over time.

Time is change, so we would just want to measure that change using the constants available. Simple as that. The whole idea here is that the Gregorian calendar only does that to a minor degree, it adds in all this other arbitrary made up stuff.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

According to our current understanding of it.

Its all relative.

No really it is. Time for you is relative to the speed you happen to be traveling at.

I've been wondering how much faster time is going at the edge of the universe vs. the center. Or even just comparing near the center of our galaxy, to the very edge of it.

I've also been wondering, just what speed are we moving at right now, and how much does it change over time? We move around on the surface of this planet, the crust moves, the planet spins, the planet rotates around the sun, the solar system spins around the galactic core, the galaxy orbits around the common shared center of mass of our local group, and the local group orbits around a shared point with other groups and so on till everything is orbiting the shared center of mass of the universe (And who knows what it might be doing), and everything is flying away from everything else... How much does our "time" change?

Maybe an astrophysicist can answer ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Its all relative.

No really it is. Time for you is relative to the speed you happen to be traveling at.

I've been wondering how much faster time is going at the edge of the universe vs. the center. Or even just comparing near the center of our galaxy, to the very edge of it.

I know that's what science believes, and to some degree has "proven", but I don't yet understand it and refuse to accept it as absolute fact. :P I don't see what relationship the rate of change in spacial position has to the change in "time". It doesn't seem there would be a direct relationship between them. To me, it seems more likely that the means by which we measure time (i.e., the rate of change in things we believe to be constant) are altered by the rate of change in spacial position. Of course, we've had this discussion before and according to you I lost, but I digress.

Who's to say there is an edge to the universe? Why would time differ there?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

Who's to say there is an edge to the universe? Why would time differ there?

The edge itself isn't special, its the speed you'd be traveling just by being with the objects out there. Ever been on a merrygoround? You travel faster on the outside than the inside regardless the speed the entire thing is spinning.

I think for you to really understand how motion has an effect on time, you'd have to actually read and understand Einstein's works. I understand the basics, or how its explained to children and laypersons, but I haven't read the actual papers. The whole thing started with Einstein's ideas, and those have been shown to be accurate over time. Now I suppose its possible its due to speed/motion causing the clock to somehow act differently. You'd think the scientists would have tested for that though.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Actually, that's the first post TF has made in one of these threads that makes sense and is on topic! :o

bamccaig said:

I don't see what relationship the rate of change in spacial position has to the change in "time".

Time is change, really. That's all it is. Without change, there is no time. As TF mentioned, things traveling at different speeds experience time (change) at a different rate.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

Actually, that's the first post TF has made in one of these threads that makes sense and is on topic! :o

Really? I thought it was neither :P

Not to say I lied though, I do occasionally think about it.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Sure! It's on the current topic of time, and it does explain a portion of how it really works. The day I had my mind blow up I also watched a video about the same thing you described: We spin, we spin around the sun, sun spins around galaxy (maybe also a star cluster in galaxy), galaxy spins around galaxy cluster, galaxy cluster spins around cluster of galaxy clusters, etc ;) Works that way from the biggest bodies to the smallest electron with increasing complexity from the smallest to the largest.

SCIENCE!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

well technically IIRC the galaxies and the local groups all orbit (mostly) empty space, which just happens to be the common center of mass of the entire group. You can see the same thing with the earth and the moon, or the earth and the sun, the earth doesn't really orbit the sun, they both orbit their own combined center of mass. It just happens that the sun is so much more massive than the earth that it only moves a tiny bit.

Someone please tell me if that's inaccurate ;D

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

If you get too technical it becomes meaningless :P

The Earth is in the orbit of the Sun. If you look at the Earth/Moon relationship you can notice that as the mass of the moon orbits the Earth they pull on each other. The oceans are pulled towards the moon, and the moon has been locked into the same position by the force of gravity acting on it from the Earth, which stopped it from spinning billions of years ago.
This same "pulling" effect happens with the other large bodies, and the Earth and Sun pull on each other as well, but to a different degree than that of the Earth and Moon.

There's a really good TV series called "The Universe" which talks about a lot of the theories behind this stuff.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The edge itself isn't special, its the speed you'd be traveling just by being with the objects out there. Ever been on a merrygoround? You travel faster on the outside than the inside regardless the speed the entire thing is spinning.

Sure, but how do you know you'd be spinning on the edge of the universe? You don't even know where the edge of the universe is! :D

The whole thing started with Einstein's ideas, and those have been shown to be accurate over time.

![1]

References

1. You know what the Internet needs? A YouTube like service for sound effects. Short little individual sound effects. Maybe allow you to combine them together by passing more than one identifier. Sometimes YouTube videos are too long for a given purpose, or have too much junk between the part you want and the "<Nobody Cares> Productions" messages...
Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I use that as my text message alert tone. ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That would make an awesome one. :D I've wanted to use the MGS codec ring for my ringtone for the longest time. :P Of course, my functional cell phone is a PoS that has nowhere near support for this and my Neo FreeRunner is still not really working fully (though it's now running Android).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

If you get too technical it becomes meaningless :P

I'm of the opposite mind. I find it meaningless if you don't get technical. Too many times has a subject been explained to me in a way that was not only inaccurate, but sometimes absurdly incorrect because they couldn't think of a better way to explain it in class.

It has NO meaning if its wrong. And most simplifications ARE that. Wrong.

Quote:

the moon has been locked into the same position by the force of gravity acting on it from the Earth

Except it isn't locked. Its moving away a few cm every year.

--

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

bamccaig said:

If anything, we should move to some kind of sensible constant of time that makes sense anywhere in the universe

International System of Units said:

one second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

I think that is pretty constant.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It has NO meaning if its wrong.

Of course.

Quote:

And most simplifications ARE that. Wrong.

That is far too simple of a statement. Non-technical is not synonymous with wrong. :-/

By "locked" I meant in the non-technical, simple or "casual" sense that the moon no longer spins at a rate that is noticeable or of major significance. It faces the same general direction for thousands of years whereas billions of years ago we assume it did not.

Technical is good if you're writing a paper, overkill if you're trying to convey an idea about a broader subject unrelated to the technicalities. I was conveying the idea that the Earth's gravity pulls on the Moon, very little wrong about it, though there are more technical details to it.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I want to move to the Microsoft calender. It's now 33 STGW on that calendar (Bill started it, STGW stands for "Since The Great Wedgie")

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Derezo said:

The only reality of time is the position of the entity telling the time relative to it's surroundings -- the Earth, Sun, Moon and Stars.

So time doesn't exist for blind people who can't check their position?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Since blind people can't enjoy the visual goodness of Allegro 5, time weighs very heavily on their hands. And determining time by position is exemplified every time George Jetson arrives at the office after the boss arrives. "Jeeetttssonn!!!! Youurrrrrr fiiirrreeed!"

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Steve Allen
Member #5,789
April 2005

Derezo, I don't believe that people are so much taking exception to your ideas so much as they are taking exception to how you are presenting your ideas. Most conspiracy theorists don't propose crazy ideas because they really believe them, but because of the attention they receive by proposing them. Your language and attitude suggests that you believe you are a genius or visionary for your work when most of the ideas and conclusions you have brought forth have no substance. On the few occasions where you are presenting something agreeable it has generally been common knowledge or a tidy fact that really has no weight in your larger argument.

Also, lets not jump to assumptions from a single talk with your doctor. If I walked into my doctors office and complained that all HMOs are scams and they are ripping people off they WILL agree with me. They know the biz and understand my frustration, BUT that doesn't mean that he also agrees that the Gregorian calendar is a trap to enslave humanity in a marketing scam. Ya know? What exactly did this doctor presumably agree to in this talk?

Don't turn the world into something more complicated than it already is. The world is full of "little" evils. Not some large scale conspiracy that has a master plan. Its all one guy making one wrong choice times 13 billion. There is no matrix and there is no illuminati. Just a bunch of dumb asses making mistakes every day. These wrong doing "marketing" people you speak of are just regular folks like you and I trying to cut their chunk out of the pie. Sure their methods may be disagreeable to you but answer me this. With your vision of the way the world should be, how far would you go to make it right?

Again, you could be on the path of finding YOUR own enlightenment but the way you are going about it seems more like a play for attention than anything else. I think something happened in your life that has caused you to try and find fantasy in the world. Maybe quitting pot made the world seem lifeless and um-impressive, making you need to create some adventure to spice it up. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but having read the majority of your recent posts you just aren't making any sense anymore.

I am a long time lurker on these boards (since 05!) and you were always one of the more humorous and entertaining personalities... get it together man! Life can suck, but you will find a hell of a lot to appreciate along the way. Real stuff.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't help wondering what happened to you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Don't turn the world into something more complicated than it already is. The world is full of "little" evils. Not some large scale conspiracy that has a master plan. Its all one guy making one wrong choice times 13 billion.

^ This.

Again, you could be on the path of finding YOUR own enlightenment but the way you are going about it seems more like a play for attention than anything else. I think something happened in your life that has caused you to try and find fantasy in the world. Maybe quitting pot made the world seem lifeless and um-impressive, making you need to create some adventure to spice it up. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but having read the majority of your recent posts you just aren't making any sense anymore.

I am a long time lurker on these boards (since 05!) and you were always one of the more humorous and entertaining personalities... get it together man! Life can suck, but you will find a hell of a lot to appreciate along the way. Real stuff.

^ And this.

Steve Allen wins the thread. \o/

** EDIT **

I figured out what happened to Derezo.[1] :o He must have FUCKED WITH THE FUCKING WITCH.[2]

video

References

1. I'd like to thank IRC and Budweiser.
  2. Eminem is fucking awesome. Anybody that disagrees can go fuck themselves. Also, I'm a little drunk.
Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

LennyLen said:

So time doesn't exist for blind people who can't check their position?

Why would you need to check your position for you to be in a position? :-/

Your language and attitude suggests that you believe you are a genius or visionary for your work when most of the ideas and conclusions you have brought forth have no substance.

There is no way I would expect anyone here to view the substance of it. What I have posted reference to does not get any feedback whatsoever -- possibly because nobody is viewing much of it. You'll notice that the videos I posted in the first link, and the music compilation later on, all received very few (total: one) posts containing feedback. The same thing happened in the last thread like this. To prove to those who don't know what I'm talking about would need a lot of reading/watching of controversial topics. There's a lot of leg work involved, so to speak. When you get into a lot of the controversial topics there is a sort of trend between them all, and the ways they are criticized. I do believe I have come across something that is in plain view but many seem unaware of, but I am not the only one who has come across this stuff. It's in a lot of music -- and surprise! A lot of musicians are drug users. None of this is new stuff, and in a lot of this I feel like I am stating the obvious from my own perspective. Providing substance to see it is rather difficult, because it's not like the evidence for what I'm suggesting can be presented in a single paragraph. Some of the topics, like NLP or evolution, are very vast and are something you really would need to take a course on to understand completely, though even a simple description here hasn't been provided (or asked for :P). Posting on a forum like this results in a lot of people getting defensive in respect to their own beliefs. Really, I'm just looking for someone who gets this outside of the real world, because the people whom I know that get this stuff in the real world are busy with other things, and it'd be nice to find a programmer who thinks like this. That is why I ramble on. There are forums out there dedicated to this stuff, but I don't relate with the way they act and they're mostly concerned with chasing conspiracy theories, which I don't agree with. The best one I've found so far is the world freeman society, which is a bunch of people who get this stuff. As you said, it is much like 13 billion mistakes being made, but there is an underlying cause ("memes") of the types of mistakes we're seeing (in terms of "cheaters").

Quote:

BUT that doesn't mean that he also agrees that the Gregorian calendar is a trap to enslave humanity in a marketing scam.

Don't mix the multiple discussions going on to try and prove something unrelated to either wrong. What you said is obvious, but nobody said anything of the sort. Marketing has nothing to do with the calendar in the sense you're speaking of, and I didn't mix them in that way. It's the underlying principles of modern marketing which show abuse of neuro-linguistic programming. This area of study shows us that things in our environment greatly influence how we perceive reality. If you watch Glenn Beck and believe him, that the sky is falling and Obama is hitler, then your perception of reality will be such that you should fear the coming times and buy gold, or you might just get very depressed about life altogether. What I'm suggesting is that similar principles can be applied to the use of a calendar in the way you perceive time, that is where the Gregorian calendar comes in. Then there is also proof that it's been adulterated, modified, and changed to a point where the names used are meaningless, arbitrary, or misrepresented, the patterns are mildly confusing when they don't need to be (many people need rhymes just to remember how many days months have), and this is how you tell the time. Seems like we could do a lot better to me.

Quote:

Don't turn the world into something more complicated than it already is.

I'm not. I'm just paying more attention to things that people don't normally bother paying attention to. It's not like I've always thought like this.

Quote:

With your vision of the way the world should be, how far would you go to make it right?

That's another topic altogether. How the world should be is unclear to me, I just know there are certain things wrong with the way that it is.
I've been learning guitar, and am considering developing documentary-style videos which mix the religions and sciences, but I'm not yet learned enough in those areas to create a product. I do hope I will be, and then I'll need to decide which audience to go after. I may try to enlighten the unenlightened (difficulty++) or just spread awareness of existing stuff.
However, I've been becoming interested in synchronicity lately, and am convinced for myself that it is real. That's what I'm currently reading about. We'll see where that goes. Maybe I'll set up a series of coincidences that lead to world domination. ;)

Quote:

Again, you could be on the path of finding YOUR own enlightenment but the way you are going about it seems more like a play for attention than anything else.

These things are true, especially of this thread. I would say that I am looking for attention to this idea in this thread, and that is why I created it. What's wrong with that? Is it possible not to be looking for attention when posting videos on the Internet? That is rather obvious from the thread title, and I even said I was looking for feedback - "let me know what you think". You say that like it's not normal, or is something you're not suppose to do. I am drawing attention to this idea, though I care not for the attention to "me", if that's what you mean... but I don't have respect for those who are simply saying "you're a pot head" or suggesting that I should seek mental help because they don't agree with me. You'll notice those people don't say anything about why they think that way, and some are just seeking attention for themselves. The wrong kind of attention, too.

Quote:

Maybe quitting pot made the world seem lifeless and um-impressive, making you need to create some adventure to spice it up.

Nope. It's been better all around. It did make me less lazy though, and a lot of the crap that's on my mind is this stuff.

Quote:

Sorry for the rant, I just can't help wondering what happened to you.

Meh, rant away ;D I know what I am, and I do know that I am speaking in a certain way that people tend to find distasteful -- I am writing as though I am always right. However, this is something that is bothering me a lot. I am looking for proof of the opposite. If it is so crazy, and so wrong, it should be easy to say "Look, over here. You're wrong because ... "

Instead, it's up for debate... and of course, nobody wants to view/read the evidence and remark on it. Possibly because nobody wants this to be true. It adds another difficulty to life, and doesn't make things any easier. People like things that make life easier, not the other way around. If you were to realize it were true, you may want to adopt a new calendar as well. That's something new to learn, and learning is work.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Prove to me there isn't an invisible octopus living in my town. If that's so crazy, it should be easy to disprove. :-/

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Derezo said:

Why would you need to check your position for you to be in a position?

Sorry, I was using the pronoun their ambiguously. It should have been read as: So time doesn't exist for blind people who can't check the positions of the earth, sun, moon and stars?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Still, just because they can't check their position doesn't mean they aren't in a position relative to the Earth, Sun, Moon and stars. If you mean blindness causes some side effect of superposition, where blind people actually exist everywhere because they are incapable of vision, then maybe time doesn't affect them! :o

I am doubtful that it is true, though.. and you may have a hard time proving it, like ML with his invisible octopus.

..but you could just close your eyes and prove it to yourself.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

bamccaig said:

Steve Allen wins the thread. \o/

I 2nd that! His post was really putting things right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Go to: