Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So I went to the doctor...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
So I went to the doctor...
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Derezo said:

Still, just because they can't check their position doesn't mean they aren't in a position relative to the Earth, Sun, Moon and stars.

Of course they are still relative. However, you claimed, and I'll repeat it again here: The only reality of time is the position of the entity telling the time relative to it's surroundings.

This implies that if you can't tell your position relative to something else, time is not real. This is, quite clearly, crap. Time still goes on, even if there is nobody to observe anything.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

LennyLen said:

This implies that if you can't tell your position relative to something else, time is not real. This is, quite clearly, crap. Time still goes on, even if there is nobody to observe anything.

I'm not sure what you mean. You don't have to "tell" your position to "tell" the time. Time applies no matter where you are, but how time is applied is relative to your position in the universe. The sentence assumed something would be telling the time from the point of reference, given the conversation, but it could easily be simplified to: "The only reality of time is position relative to surroundings." -- I just deleted any context that implied an observer was present.

A rock has no concept of time, as far as we know, and is unaware of time. Time applies to the rock based on it's relative position to it's surroundings just the same, even though the rock cannot tell the time.

What is it you're getting at?

Time goes more slowly in higher gravitational fields. Clocks which are far from massive bodies (or at higher gravitational potentials) run faster, with or without an observer we assume, and clocks close to massive bodies (or at lower gravitational potentials) run slower. This is because gravitational time dilation is manifested in accelerated frames of reference or in the gravitational field of massive objects.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Derezo said:

You don't have to "tell" your position to "tell" the time.

That is completely contrary to the statement of yours that I've quoted twice. Since I don't like repeating myself, I'm not commenting any further. You did actually read the sentence I quoted didn't you?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Yes, and I don't see what you're referring to. "The only reality of time is the position of the entity telling the time relative to it's surroundings."

So we have an observer telling the time. The reality of the time he tells is relative to his surroundings. What's wrong with that? How does it imply that if you can't tell your position relative to something else, time is not real?

Just because you can't tell your position doesn't mean you don't have a position. You're suggesting some sort of nonsense where there is no position involved, and in that sense, you're very right. If you do not have a position, time does not exist -- and neither do you.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I started writing a reply, then gave up. I'm convinced you're beyond the ability to understand simple language anymore.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

You never even explained how you think it is with your own words. :-/

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

You should have been convinced the first time you saw his avatar. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I picked that one 'cause it's the craziest one I have ;D Maybe I'll change it so this opinion of me doesn't drag on so much after this thread (since it really probably will be that simple).

He just thinks I'm crazy. If it's so difficult to answer this, I'm pretty sure he's just dodging:
So we have an observer telling the time. The reality of the time he tells is relative to his surroundings. What's wrong with that? Even if he can't see his surroundings, they still influence his reality of time. His perception of time, on the other hand, may be influenced by something else.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Time doesn't exist, it is a human concept.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Nice one, fighting fire with fire, eh? ;D

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've only modified perception as per the discussion. I'm sure it will prove quite interesting.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Time is the one thing that all of you have way too much of at your free disposal (as becomes obvious in threads like this(well me included as I have had time to read it)).

Time is also the resource that most of you are constantly lacking, that's why nobody here ever finishes any quality games: Back to work slackers! :P

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Nah, I actually didn't read the thread, I rather read Chris Wynoner's religious teachings or piccolos ideas than this. At least piccolo and Chris make me laugh.

This thread makes me cry. :-/

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Vanneto said:

This thread makes me cry. :-/

It is a bit bleak. The calendar is only one aspect of this thing. There have been thousands of similar memes which crept into our civilizations and caused all sorts of problems we're mostly unaware of.

Another TED Talk on the subject I came across:
http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_blackmore_on_memes_and_temes.html

A bit of an eye opener and is best understood after watching some Daniel Dennett or Richard Dawkins.

As she says, there isn't anything we can do about this other than recognize it and become more selective about what we imitate. We're all, more or less, biological machines which replicate ideas and pass them along. Some ideas are bad, and some ideas are good. That's why I said calling these things conspiracy theories doesn't cut it. They might be conspiracy theories, but I'd rather just refer to them as "bad ideas", only because I don't personally like them and believe they are the spawn of darkness :)

I wouldn't refer to it as a conspiracy if a bunch of people got together and conspired to create a TV series attempting to immunize children from the replication of bad memes. It would be a conspiracy, but moreover it's just a good idea ;D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Conspiracy implies it aims for something harmful or illegal.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=conspiracy

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Oh, so it does. Well it would still be just a good idea then :P

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Wow... So much talk about conspiracy is giving me an urge to replay Deus Ex.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Derezo said:

We're all, more or less, biological machines which replicate ideas and pass them along. Some ideas are bad, and some ideas are good.

Herein, I think, lies the core problem of your little philosophy. We are particularly predisposed to replicating these bad memes/ideas at the expense of the good ones. These bad ideas have not 'crept' in uninvited, their very existence and survival is precisely a result of the medium that they fester in. You have noticed the symptoms of the problem, the bad ideas, and stopped right there without seeing the actual root of the problem, the rotten human mind. You can't immunize children from replicating bad memes anymore than you can immunize them from breathing air: it's in their nature, going against which is futile. You think you and those people you keep quoting are the first ones to notice these problems? I am sure they have been noticed thousands times before, thousands of years before. And to what end? Nothing is solved.

Life is a Kobayashi Maru scenario, and the only solution is Kirk's :P

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Wow, thread growth :)

Derezo said:

Saying that everyone just picks the color red for hammers or .. actually, I'm not sure what you're even suggesting. Why is even the color of the hammer specifically disproportionate in choice?

I'm suggesting that red is simply a colour that springs to mind very quickly. It has a name that's quick to say, it's a very common colour, and it's a colour that we are sensitive to. Likewise, hammer is an iconic tool that springs to mind very quickly.

These would have qualified as explanations if they were true:

• The last sum is 77+77. The digit 7 is shaped like a hammer.

• The sums cause neurons in the spareoomal part of the brain to fire. These are next to the neurons that fire when stimulated by the smell of a new hammer.

• There is an advert for red hammers on the side of the page.

• 10 rhymes with 'red'.

You didn't give me any such explanation, you just waffled and reiterated what you'd already said. You can't back up your comment at all.

Quote:

I'd love to hear about your mind game theory. Where was there a mind game?

I am referring to your attempt to create an association between the Gregorian calendar and the Matrix. I am calling you a hypocrite, because you seem to be attacking the use of mind tricks like association, yet you are using them yourself.

Quote:

And if you're aware of the mind game, why not prove it wrong by solving it and winning the game?

I don't understand. I can only assume your definition of 'mind game' is different from mine, in which case we haven't defined it properly. I believe Evert has already covered the implications of not defining things properly.

And yeah, Steve Allen wins.

Merry Christmas :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

SiegeLord said:

We are particularly predisposed to replicating these bad memes/ideas at the expense of the good ones.

Especially if you were parked in front of the TV when you were a kid :P

Quote:

These bad ideas have not 'crept' in uninvited, their very existence and survival is precisely a result of the medium that they fester in.

Yes, but not everyone has been aware of them. They've been able to just roam free because we've been largely unaware of what's actually going on.

Quote:

You have noticed the symptoms of the problem, the bad ideas, and stopped right there without seeing the actual root of the problem, the rotten human mind.

All humans are not evil, rotten creatures by nature. We become rotten, or good in contrast, only by what influences us.

Quote:

You can't immunize children from replicating bad memes anymore than you can immunize them from breathing air: it's in their nature, going against which is futile.

I don't think that's true. Teaching children good memes, and then teaching them about the bad memes, will cause them to reject bad memes and spread good memes as they evolve. If you allow them to see both sides of things -- and most things only have two sides with infinite variation on either -- they can choose which side they want to represent.

Quote:

You think you and those people you keep quoting are the first ones to notice these problems?

No, but I do think it is grossly undervalued information. Many people do not realize the real problem, which is why we get conspiracy theories.

I'm starting to think of life as a complicated game of prisoner's dilemma ;D

[edit]

I am referring to your attempt to create an association between the Gregorian calendar and the Matrix. I am calling you a hypocrite, because you seem to be attacking the use of mind tricks like association, yet you are using them yourself.

I wasn't trying to associate the Gregorian calendar with the movie, though I guess I should have assumed people would think of the movie. I expected the supporting quote to be read (which was stupid of me), so I posted it twice and bolded parts the second time, and thought I had described the matrix enough to separate it from the ideas in the movie and associate the matrix with our flawed perception of time (and not some Hollywood production) :-/
Mentioning that they should make a movie about it was just intended a joke, I didn't want you to associate it with the movie. I even said "The film does discuss things of this nature, but The Matrix in The Matrix is not The Matrix of reality (AFAIK)"

I'm pretty sure a discussion about this stuff on this medium is greatly prone to failure. The topic is far too big in scope, and the post content isn't read or understood in it's entirety. :(

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

So... who else likes banana smoothies?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

A lot of this could be explained by people taking special notice of the unusual (evil) and so naturally it takes on a proportionally greater significance than warranted. So people and their memes aren't as evil as they seem. Just sayin'...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

A lot of this could be explained by people taking special notice of the unusual (evil) and so naturally it takes on a proportionally greater significance than warranted.

You're probably right. I've started to take special notice of memes in general and how certain traditions, trends and other things may affect psychology. Bad memes just seem to be everywhere in my community and I see fewer good memes in my travels.

Memes are everywhere, and some of them are not as obviously evil as CNN. I noticed an "evil meme" at Walmart the other day with my sister. We were going through the kids shirts and one of the shirts had a prescription taped to it with a doctors note type of thing which said homework couldn't be assigned to him, because his doctor said it was causing him distress (in kids words ;)).

It recommended a high dosage of video games ;D It was so funny I considered it for my younger cousin. I thought it was cute, but then I reconsidered and thought "I wouldn't want it to go to his head". So I put it back, but when I went through the rest of the shirts I started to notice there were about 20 variations of anti-homework t-shirts in the pile after it! The whole section that it was in was anti-homework t-shirts. Most had a monkey on them doing something outrageous and they said things you really don't want kids repeating.
I would think that kids who wore these shirts may not take homework as seriously as they would have if they didn't have the shirt. So then I think "This idea is of negative consequence."

Of course, it's Walmart, so what do you expect really... but I wonder how many people just don't notice that and just find them funny. :-/

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I agree. I think all of those cool pot t-shirts are what started you down the crazy path.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Sorry my last post was a bit brief and harsh. It's Christmas, which for my family means lots of chocolate and therefore not much straight thought. I also rushed it because food was ready!

Well, it seems I saw an evil intent where none was intended. We all do that sort of thing. Maybe Derezo can be prone to seeing evil intent in other people where none was intended?

I just went back and reviewed your post where you quoted a blurb and emboldened bits. It does sound interesting for sure, though for me it rings a few alarm bells. The talk of one's "natural holy time", and of a capitalised "Culture of Life", suggests religious preaching.

Giving it the benefit of the doubt in this respect, I then read it a little differently. The idea of following a different clock is an attractive one, but perhaps that's largely because we associate Gregorian calendar dates with commitments. Work is generally required of us between specific times. Meetings and deadlines come with specific dates. Perhaps an element here is people's desire to live in a world with no pressure, and shirking the calendar is certainly a novel metaphor for throwing away all those pesky commitments. (Of course, we look forward to dates sometimes - especially the romantic kind - but people forget that and focus on problems!)

I wonder what it means to become "socially liberated". Surely it can't mean losing friends ???

I also think it's a little unfair of the blurb to accuse everyone of "the predatory culture of death".

Ultimately, I have to say I feel that the blurb is a perfect example of religious preaching. Specifically, it is mixing a perfectly valid form of escapism (a world with no pressure and a different measure of time) with some ill-defined terms (see above) and some attacks on the real world ("culture of death", "enslaved"). The escapism attracts and interests people. The vagueness challenges the analytical part of the brain and tires it out, preventing it from rejecting the attacks. The attacks create a general feeling of dissatisfaction and a belief that the new religion is a good idea, and the ill-defined terms become some of the concepts that the new religion is based on. Lucky that we can smell this stuff, isn't it? I am genuinely curious as to what proportion of the population really wouldn't smell it coming and would fall for it ...

On the other hand, the gripe about Walmart sounds like something you'll get a lot of sympathy for. I don't like the sound of those T-shirts either :-X

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: