Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So I went to the doctor...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
So I went to the doctor...
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Derezo, perhaps what you really want is just to raise awareness of how the mind works - you'd like to live in a world where everyone naturally notices these mind tricks and can defend themselves?

I wonder if the world would be a better place that way, or not ...

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

It's too bad pot is known to permanently damage user's brains.

Care to provide a link? I'm sick of being told by my pot-smoking friends that smoking (weed) isn't bad for you. I try to tell them that any smoke being inhaled into the lungs is bad, but they refuse to believe it without concrete evidence that pot is bad...

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

blargmob said:

Care to provide a link?

It seems it's disputed. But this is how new areas of research go. half of the papers claim on side, half the other, till eventually one side wins out.

At any rate, here's the long term effects.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Derezo, perhaps what you really want is just to raise awareness of how the mind works - you'd like to live in a world where everyone naturally notices these mind tricks and can defend themselves?

Heh; you see NLP techniques friggin' everywhere once you learn it yourself. Advertisers are shameless. ;D

Anyway, you're still nuts, Derezo. :P

EDIT: Just Googled the Pepsi logo since I didn't know it changed. Um, this has what to do with Obama? It's just a dumb change, I don't get it ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Every time you see a comma or an apostrophe, you think of me. :o

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Every time I see you I wonder why you're so mean looking and have a band-aid on your face.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

It's common knowledge that Mars used to be the first month. And what comes to the length of the months, It was a trickier thing. They first had some regular pattern (31, 30, 31, 30 etc). Since February was the last month, it got the left over days. July had 31 days and August had 30 days. July refers to Julius Caesar while August refers to Caesar Augustus (Luke 2:1). Augustus of course changed the calendar so that his month would have 31 days, too.

"Have you noticed they changed the Pepsi logo? Why on Earth did they do that?"
"I blame Obama."

<edit />

Every time I see you I wonder why you're so mean looking and have a band-aid on your face.

He's so mean looking because he has a band-aid on his face!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Derezo, I think your wonderful x

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Do you have an example of a marketing person taking advantage of the "something in your mind that is incorrect" issue you raise with the Gregorian calendar?

No, and that's not what I'm suggesting. I said the idea of "mind infections" are typically associated with marketing. If you have ads blasted at you all day about how Pepsi makes you young, Pepsi quenches your thirst, Pepsi makes you young, Pepsi quenches your thirst then when you think of being young, and many women do, you may think of Pepsi. When you are thirsty, you may think of Pepsi. Marketing just works.
Repeat after me: Every time you hear it or say it you make another copy in your brain.

Now, that in itself is not related to the Gregorian calendar. The gregorian calendar messes with your perception of time. You think it is Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009. In reality, Tuesday doesn't exist. December doesn't exist. 2009 does not exist. It's just a number, but many believe two thousand and nine is a year. They are fictional things designed by humanity with no concrete, real meaning. However, there are associations in your mind to each of those things. Is Tuesday the second day? Or is it the third? Or is it just a day of "twos"? I use to think of pancakes, but I was raised Catholic.

These things are entirely fictional and designed much like a literary work. To attach yourself to them on a daily basis, and for billions of others to follow suit, does what an earlier quote mentioned -- it enslaves you in the matrix. The matrix of this fictional reality. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, and I do not deny that, but as I've said before, that doesn't discredit it. Maybe someone should make a movie on it or something ;)

Quote:

Where's the association in this game? Where's its negative side?

The associations are formed from the math questions. There are more like these. You can watch the others that make you think of different things if you like (probably in the related videos section). Being aware of it often changes the outcome, and so does saying the numbers out loud. There is no negative side to that game. It's an example of how it works. I thought of a blue drill, but the one I saw had a blue background :-/

Quote:

Why are you focusing on generally harmless imperfections in the Gregorian calendar (and similar accidents of history) just because they might be abused for marketing reasons

Marketing is not the reason for this at all. "This idea is typically applied to things like marketing." meant the idea of things you see/hear/say/use affect your decision making. I am suggesting that thinking the problems in the calendar are generally harmless may be naive. This is something that seems to be related to stopping the old age "witches", who were often just people who based their actions on intuition. They became declared witches because, well, they could basically see the future (but that sounds silly, and it doesn't work how that sounds. No time paradoxes, the future surely doesn't exist yet). This is the quote:

Derezo said:

The 2012: Biography of the Time Traveler helps us understand not only Jose Arguelles as a leading luminary of our times, but also helps us go beyond clock (machine time), which keeps us enslaved in the matrix. His work not only of the Mayan factor, which gives us an overview of the time cycles, but also on the Time and Technosphere: The Law of Time in Human Affairs, establishes an awakening dialogue to help people break out of the artificial and disconnecting time of the matrix in which the vast majority of people are enslaved. When one is disconnected from their natural holy time, as expressed by the Divine through astronomical bodies, we become disconnected from our soul. Jose's valiant and visionary quest, as described in this biography creates the artistic and inspirational metaphors for helping us become socially, psychologically, psychically, and ultimately spiritually liberated as we transition from the predatory culture of death into the heart-centered, inter-dimensional consciousness, and natural flowing Culture of Life. In this context, this book and Jose's life is a testimony to the glory of God expressing itself through the human in the upward spiral of the play of Consciousness.

Heh; you see NLP techniques friggin' everywhere once you learn it yourself.

Exactly ;D Every time I see people employing them for personal gain it's just creepy now. NLP isn't the only form of neurological programming we undergo, though. :( The calendar is a neurological programming tool for a different region, and I'm going to bet it's a region affected by marijuana, just because it seems like a good wager to make, and I'll follow that with a bet that it's in the area which manages your perception of time. ;)

Quote:

Just Googled the Pepsi logo since I didn't know it changed. Um, this has what to do with Obama? It's just a dumb change, I don't get it ...

I didn't get it either. Image not by me, relationship also not found by me, and I found this image on the first google image search results page:
{"name":"obama_pepsi.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/c\/4c4e02f138d2c5084904c999bed4b11b.jpg","w":350,"h":238,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/c\/4c4e02f138d2c5084904c999bed4b11b"}obama_pepsi.jpg
ChristianAndAmerican.com -- probably not pot heads, if that what you're worried about ;)
At first glance, the logos are very similar but flipped.

I read about this on the back cover of Eating the Dinosaur, a very good book. Then immediately noticed that a friend of mine switched from Coke to Pepsi after years of being a vocal coke fan :-/ I gave him the book ;D

It's too bad pot is known to permanently damage user's brains.

Yeah. You're so lucky to have that brilliant undamaged brain of yours that flows so much loving content into threads. I don't know how you think up all these things so quickly. Amazing.

Almost all claims are disputed because of a lack of study. The studies available don't correlate with each other when it comes to brain damage, psychosis, and permanent effects (sans memory). Indeed it does cause much damage in adolescents, and it's been known to do that for centuries. It also causes problems if you use it on a regular basis for years, as pretty much all studies in the area have shown. However, it does not kill brain cells, prevent brain growth, or modify the growth of normal brain cells in adult brains that have fully developed when used occasionally. In fact, there is evidence that it grows new cells, not to mention it's anti-cancer properties. What you do on pot is extremely important in how it affects your brain. Reading and watching documentaries or working and accomplishing tasks is much different than, say, watching Spongebob. It's easy to fall back on the "oh you're just a pot head" thing, instead of quoting what I say and proving otherwise, but.. hey. That's fine. This stuff just isn't for you, and I'm OK with that. Then I'm not sure, you have a proponent of marijuana in your very signature. Every single post you've ever made quotes a pot head, but then you come to my thread and spill garbage about it. Very peculiar.

I'm not advocating that everyone go smoke pot, though George Carlin has been known to in his very well done, insightful and hilarious comedy routines. That's not my decision to make for you at all... and drink all the Pepsi you want to.

Dizzy Egg said:

Derezo, I think your wonderful

Hurray! ;D

Anyone notice all the time travel movies, TV shows, and such that have popped up in the last 5 years? Anyone seen Primer? Anyone seen Primer.... on weeeed ;)
(don't do it. hurts)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Did you ever look at the back of a dollar bill....on weeeeeed

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Derezo, what happens when everybody believes the same crazy stuff you do? Do you then switch directions and become normal again so that you aren't following groupthink? ???

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Derezo said:

The associations are formed from the math questions.

Do you have evidence to back that up? Why is my explanation not sufficient to explain the phenomenon?

Quote:

To attach yourself to them on a daily basis, and for billions of others to follow suit, does what an earlier quote mentioned -- it enslaves you in the matrix. The matrix of this fictional reality.

Looks to me as if you're trying to create an association between the Gregorian calendar and the Matrix. The first is an albeit arbitrary standard that nearly everyone in the world follows, creating an efficient means to communicate and boosting productivity. The second is an extremely negative image most of us are familiar with because of the success of the film it came from. I'd like to suggest that you yourself are using mind games to manipulate people into disliking the calendar, and you're doing this because you, for reasons that are personal and perfectly acceptable, don't like it. If your association works, then every time someone sees a date on TV, in a newspaper, on a shop's seasonal opening hours or anywhere else, that person will be reminded that they live in the 'Matrix' - a horrible, soulless system they have no control over. What should they then do? Shirk the calendar, harm productivity, lose their jobs, lose their income, lose their friends, feel powerless to do anything about it?

(In reality, very few people will let this happen. At worst, they'll notice the very beginnings of such a thing, rationalise it back to what you said, and stop taking you seriously, hence the 'crazy' accusations. People are actually more aware of the world around them than you give credit for. They just don't bother thinking about stuff like this unless it becomes a problem.)

If you are using these mind games deliberately, then you are a sly old fox but you can't fool me, wink.

If you did it by accident, then perhaps you should cut the world a little slack and accept that, while I'm sure advertisers do study this and consciously use it for their own gain, it's actually something we all do naturally, usually for good causes, and it's much more important that people merely have good intentions, as I said before?

Incidentally, I'm fairly sure most people, no matter how common or chavvy, dislike adverts. On that point, you're preaching to the converted.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I bet Dr. House could diagnose you with a really obscure kind of tumor... Its probably causing this crazy talk. :o

But seriously, judging by your avatar, I think we have at least half a year left with Derezo before he goes berserk. So enjoy him while he lasts. :-*

In capitalist America bank robs you.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

What the hell does the Pepsi logo have to do with Obama's logo? The only similarity is the colors, vaguely, and the fact that it's a circle (which was Pepsi's idea first).

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Its the same thing as with the Marlboro cigarette boxes, people find what they want to find, associate all kinds of things to other things... Two KKK members holding a flag, black man hanging, white man standing, all kinds of crazy shit.

Now, what is really interesting is the Super Nintendo and Windows 7 logos. Look:

windows-7-logo.jpg{"name":"600048","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/367a1b7695dbd55c7330af43fc014423.png","w":313,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/367a1b7695dbd55c7330af43fc014423"}600048

They look very similar. Oh, BTW, took me 3 seconds to find this out. Conspiracy theorists would have a brawl if they would see this. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Another point on the Pepsi thing by the way - no one would respond to the advertising tactics if they fundamentally didn't like Pepsi, would they? The net effect of the similarity is that more people are doing something they enjoy. It's not so immoral after all. :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Derezo, there's also evidence that heavy pot use shrinks certain parts of the brain causing permanent damage. You can do a dozen searches on the subject and get an equal number of conflicting studies. The results will probably remain the same until the people conducting the studies stop showing the same symptoms as the main study group...

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Shrinking? I think Bruce Ben Kenobi made Derezo's brain explode. :-/

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

His must have been laced with something :P

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Derezo, what happens when everybody believes the same crazy stuff you do?

I don't know, but I'd love to find out! ;D I'm pretty sure once everyone is aware of this stuff we'll have real progress, because it will all be eliminated. No more officials, no more lies and deception, harmony with nature, and time will be different. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think that this will happen without billions of people dying. The infection that's causing this crap is designed to be suicidal. It's the cheats and the suckers again, the cheats will cause their own demise.

Quote:

Do you then switch directions and become normal again so that you aren't following groupthink? ???

I've never truly been "normal". I've always felt something was seriously wrong here, I just never knew what it was. It just happened that when I got into marijuana, a possible answer came into my awareness through experiences. Apparently you all think I just got brain damage, and it's a nice cover, but doesn't prove it wrong at all, even if it is true and my brain is 98% tumor. Afterall, Einstein's brain was unique in that the area responsible for mathematics had overtaken an area responsible for language. Does that mean his thoughts were wrong because they were formed with a brain that was different? :-/ How does your pot head / brain damage theory disprove these ideas?

Do you have evidence to back that up? Why is my explanation not sufficient to explain the phenomenon?

Your explanation is that everyone is uncreative and thinks of the same tool every time because of common thought? How is that any better of an explanation?
There are hundreds of these little tests, like I said. You can find them all over the Internet. There's also stuff like the spinning girl -- is she spinning left or right? Ahh! :o -- or other illusions. These things work because of the way that our brains work, and there is plenty of evidence for that. It's not unexplainable. Videos like this one, or this one tell us a lot about how these things work. It's more complicated than "everyone thinks the same, so that's why it works". People do think differently. Saying that everyone just picks the color red for hammers or .. actually, I'm not sure what you're even suggesting. Why is even the color of the hammer specifically disproportionate in choice?
It's not "red hammer or X, or Y, or Z." It's 98% red hammer, 2% unknown. (though 48% of statistics are made up on the spot)

Vanneto said:

Its probably causing this crazy talk. :o

I'm not sure which part is considered crazy or why. I'd love to be shown what is wrong and why. Opinions are nice, but there's nothing to back that up.
Is it that the king of Catholics doesn't wear a sun crown, or that he doesn't hold a dead savior on a stick in front of the masses, as depicted in the photo evidence? Or do you mean "that's normal", and thinking of it as inappropriate is considered "crazy" just because "he's the pope"? :-/

I'd like to suggest that you yourself are using mind games to manipulate people into disliking the calendar, and you're doing this because you, for reasons that are personal and perfectly acceptable, don't like it.

I'd love to hear about your mind game theory. Where was there a mind game? And if you're aware of the mind game, why not prove it wrong by solving it and winning the game?

Quote:

The second is an extremely negative image most of us are familiar with because of the success of the film it came from.

The film does discuss things of this nature, but The Matrix in The Matrix is not The Matrix of reality (AFAIK) -- even if a Near Earth Object saving the day is in music prior to the movie and popular legends about "Nibiru", "Planet X", or the "repeating catastrophic disaster" theories... it's not what I'm proposing. I'm proposing the calendar causes us to be locked into a certain mindset, and have seen nothing to disprove that or even anyone saying that is incorrect. In fact, I would say that it is absolutely crazy to think that the calendar used does not alter reality -- whether this calendar or another calendar. If we all switched to the old 360 day jewish calendar we would see massive changes in psychology just the same.

Quote:

If your association works, then every time someone sees a date on TV, in a newspaper, on a shop's seasonal opening hours or anywhere else, that person will be reminded that they live in the 'Matrix'

Awareness of it and the adoption of a new system solves the problem. You don't immediately leave the matrix just by seeing a 13 moon calendar, just like you don't enter the Matrix just by seeing a Gregorian calendar. It's a mindset that's been developed over time and can be cured and an immunity can be built up, but it's something you have to want to do.. and I'm not even saying that you should do it. I'm saying that I feel I am just aware of it.

Quote:

They just don't bother thinking about stuff like this unless it becomes a problem.

I think that it's akin to the story of the boiling frog. If you drop a frog in boiling water, it will hop out immediately. However, if you put the frog in warm water and slowly bring it to a boil, he won't realize the water is getting hotter and will die. This is a problem, but once it becomes a problem large enough for everyone to recognize (which I would say that it's showing promise of reaching that point with the year 2000 and 2012 nonsense), it will be too late for most.

I can provide little proof for this that I have readily available... I'm not going to upload an audio book, or copy out some of the books that I have. If you do think I'm wrong you should be able to tell me why you think that, rather than just asking for more proof, saying I'm playing mind games, calling the idea crazy, or whatever other nonsense. If I told you that wood was really made up of crystallized meth, you might quote "no it's not, wood is an organic material; in the strict sense wood is produced as secondary xylem in the stems of trees (and other woody plants)." and provide a link to wikipedia... but then, that's easy and what I'm talking about isn't so easy to grasp.

This becomes like describing a color, or a flavour, or another experience. I'm glad it's not so easily disproven though ;D Nobody here has ever said "no, that's incorrect. Joe said that over here and they proved him wrong over here by showing that the calendar was a collaborative work mostly based on astronomy and that's why there are the 12 zodiac signs and 12 months. There's also this study which shows most people are immune to thoughts", or some other kind of proof that exists. Instead I get "You're just a crazy pot head!" ;D

Which is why I'm fine with that response. It just seems to me that it's a cop out, and little else, which is acceptable for showing that it is a difficult problem. These words and these ideas are not seen as incorrect, but they are seen as crazy (by those who think they're crazy, of course).

I need a spiritual guru, not a psychiatrist (though a good psychologist might be able to help ;D)

Quote:

Incidentally, I'm fairly sure most people, no matter how common or chavvy, dislike adverts. On that point, you're preaching to the converted.

I dislike the common cold, but I can still catch it.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Derezo said:

I'm pretty sure once everyone is aware of this stuff we'll have real progress, because it will all be eliminated.

Derezo, you need to stop believing in fairy tales. The reality sounds more like The Brothers Grimm stories. Most people are just too stupid to even understand the concepts of what you are presenting here so it's just not possible.

----

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I must have missed the 'theory' in the volumes of all this jibber-jabber. Yes, the subconscious mind operates on pattern recognition, big f**king shock. The calendar doesn't "enslave" anyone; you can go invent your own calendar for all the effect it has on your life. Maybe I should make a one-day calendar so every day is my birthday and I can live into the quintuple-digits. Whoopie.

Derezo said:

I'm pretty sure once everyone is aware of this stuff we'll have real progress, because it will all be eliminated.

Fun example: I hypnotize someone into being completely happy and satisfied doing what I tell them for the rest of their lives. Would require the occasional reinforcement, but I could do it. Now you try to sell them on this "real progress" of yours as an improvement, that she has a problem you need to "eliminate".

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Today is Muyday :P

----

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I haven't read The Brothers Grimm stories in many years, but this isn't so much a fairy tale, or a belief. It's an observation and an idea, of course based on many other observations and ideas. I think there will be an event in our near future that everyone will cause everyone to say "We can't allow this to happen again."
And everything will change.

Ron Novy said:

Most people are just too stupid to even understand the concepts of what you are presenting here so it's just not possible.

Indeed ;)

I hypnotize someone into being completely happy and satisfied doing what I tell them for the rest of their lives. Would require the occasional reinforcement, but I could do it.

That's more less what we're currently in ;D

Quote:

that she has a problem you need to "eliminate".

She may very well not have a problem, and nor do most of you or even me right now. It's where this is heading, in a visible trend, that is the problem. Just take a look at the Canadian and American governments. They do not work properly, and are headed in a very bad direction.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: