Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Ukraine... ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Ukraine... ?
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

What it always comes down to is most people just believe what they're told.

I lived in the U.S. for a long time. I've spent time in Russia. My wife is Russian (and has been jailed for fighting corruption in Russia) with most of her family still living there. I'm currently living in Poland with a family of Ukranian refugees. Across the street there is a large refugee camp. Down the street there is another. This is not to say I have any unique insight, only perhaps that I have fewer degrees of separation in which to color my opinions.

Media control really goes a long way. In the US, when I look out my window and see non-violent (do nothing) marches, oppositional media sources will find some instance of violence and call all the protesters terrorists. In Russia, when you can see the police beating protesters outside your window, the news will glorify Russia and try to stir up nationalism. You would never know if you didn't see it. At least the former doesn't deny the existence of unrest. It may not be much, but over time, the lies just keep getting bolder.

Most people just believe what their told. Have all my sympathy though. The world is too big and too complex for anything else. Very few have the time or the money or the ability for anything else.

All that said, Russia is ruled by a despot and has been on a downward slide for years. Anyone there with the means should get out if they still can while they still can.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Just found a website set up by the EU to counter "disinformation".

It currently has 5368 entries about Ukraine. Obviously the EU is not neutral, but it's funny to think that some poor guys had/have to compile all of that. :P

Edit:
They also have a nice site summarizing some key points about the war in Ukraine (dated March):
https://euvsdisinfo.eu/a-guide-to-deciphering-pro-kremlin-disinformation-around-putins-war/

Edit2:
I think it is done quite nicely.

Edit3:
This seems to be a more recent follow up article to my first edit:

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/reality-built-on-lies-100-days-of-russias-war-of-aggression-in-ukraine/

The style could be a bit more neutral, but... if your job is to sift through this propaganda all day, maybe it has an effect on you. :-/

Nice quote:

EU said:

Language matters (...). If there is no “war”, Russia cannot possibly commit “war crimes”; if there is no concept of Ukraine, Russia cannot possibly be violating its sovereignty.

Knight Lore
Member #16,395
June 2016

C/\ABA YKPAÏHI

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

This is just silly. According to this, Mexico is at war but Ukraine isn't?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I was looking at the map. The countries at war are supposedly marked blue.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

About the Russian language in Ukraine: this is the result of a long history of "Russification". So to justify a war with that only shows that it's a continuation of Russian imperialism.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

In countries like Russia the cameras do go out after the appointment but in democracies, after an election the cameras don't go out, not even colleagues cameras. Just look at how much scrutiny the British government's been under for last year or two.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

1   2   3 

Go to: