Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anyone hae a reliable link to download mingw?

Credits go to Edgar Reynaldo for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Anyone hae a reliable link to download mingw?
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I had to reinstall my laptop due to performance and my backup of MINGW got corrupted. When I download from this site, the download box pops up giving me the option to open with Applications\7zG.exe or save the file. I tried saving but the file show as a 7z file. If I try unpacking it, the option to unpack is not there. Does anyone have a more reliable source to download the file, or should I keep trying? I've been banging my head against this wall since Saturday.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I tried downloading the mingw i686 version 8.10 rev 7 with posix and dwarf files but had the problem. But while you are reading the thread Edgar, that is the correct compiler for using your Allegro binaries, correct?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Thanks.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

The last MinGW I downloaded was just the other day from the following site...

https://nuwen.net/mingw.html

It's fairly up to date with some extras included. I haven't honestly tested it yet, the last version I had on my system was GCC 8.7. This site has GCC 11.2.0 which sounds nice.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I've made a post here as a reminder for myself.

Contents of the reminder:

I’ve set up my last allegro 5 install + compilers in less than 15 minutes.

1) download and install msys2 ( https://www.msys2.org/ )

Now launch the msys2 terminal and copy pasta the followings:

#UPDATE MSYS2
pacman -Syu
#INSTALL GCC 32 & 64BITS
pacman -S --needed base-devel mingw-w64-i686-toolchain mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain git subversion mercurial mingw-w64-i686-cmake mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake
#INSTALL ALLEGRO5 32 & 64BITS
pacman -Sy mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-allegro mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-allegro
#INSTALL ALLEGRO5 64BITS DEPENDENCIES
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-i686-dumb mingw-w64-i686-flac mingw-w64-i686-opusfile mingw-w64-i686-freetype mingw-w64-i686-libjpeg-turbo mingw-w64-i686-libpng mingw-w64-i686-libvorbis mingw-w64-i686-libwebp mingw-w64-i686-openal mingw-w64-i686-physfs
#INSTALL ALLEGRO5 32BITS DEPENDENCIES
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-dumb mingw-w64-x86_64-flac mingw-w64-x86_64-opusfile mingw-w64-x86_64-freetype mingw-w64-x86_64-libjpeg-turbo mingw-w64-x86_64-libpng mingw-w64-x86_64-libvorbis mingw-w64-x86_64-libwebp mingw-w64-x86_64-openal mingw-w64-x86_64-physfs

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Getting closer. I removed and reinstalled 7zip three or four times and got it to unzip the files properly. I tried compiling a simple program which worked prior to the restore but got undefined references to al_install_system, al_install_primitives, etc. Stack overflow suggests thesse are due to incompatible compiler/Allegro versions, so I deleted the files and downloaded the compiler and Allegro from Edgar's link. No change. I'll look again this weekend.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Apparently I'm following an outdated guide. What are the correct libraries and which order should they be in?

<edit> While looking up information on using the monoliths, I found references to #DEFINE STATIC LINK. Is that necessary in every file?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If you want to compile your code without having an extra dll file, yes. Normally you would define that in your build process or a common header file though.

I think with GCC, I haven't touch it in a long time so I may be wrong, the switch when compiling a C or C++ file would be -DSTATIC_LINK

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Thanks for the help. I got it to work without -DALLEGRO-STATIC-LINK. I'm using Code::Blocks, so I wouldn't know how to set it up for now. Is it important?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Only if you don't want to include the dll file in your release.

Seeing as you'll most likely have other files, I'm not sure there's a real benefit one way or the other if you only have one exe file.

Linux on the other hand, you'll have it so the end user won't need sudo to install Allegro (and other libraries) if they're not already installed. I don't think many, if any, distros are configured to include a library from the program's directory.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I copied the list of libraries and list order from this thread but I get an "execution cannot proceed because libpng16.dll was not found error when running. I checked the Allegro 5 libs, there is a libpng16.dll.a file included. Any thoughts?

<edit> I figured it out. ...I think. Edgar's guide included with his binaries suggest linking to libgcc.a, however that library is in a subdirectory labelled gcc. There is a libgcc_s.a in the parent directory,\Mingw\winlibs-x86_64-posix-seh-gcc-11.2.0-mingw-w64-9.0.0-r3\mingw64\lib, which appears to be static. When using the -D_STATICLINK option under the "other linker options", linking to the -static-libcc.a and -static-libg++.a options are unnecessary. Code:: Blocks will prompt you to set the flag for static linking when you add the -D_STATICLINK option. Food for the wise.

Go to: