Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » KrampusHack 2021 - secret santa style game jam

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
KrampusHack 2021 - secret santa style game jam
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Hey Everybody!

I just opened registration for KrampusHack 2021

In case you don't know: KrampusHack is our community tradition for the holidays. It's a secret-santa style game jam: all participants make a game for another randomly selected participant. So the requirements of your entry are determined by another participant!

The whole thing is pretty relaxed and slow paced. There is no voting and no prizes - it's just hanging out, making something cool and sharing what you've made. You don't have to use allegro, and it's fine to re-use lots of code.

Who wants to join?

I don't have a logo yet for this year - is somebody interested in making one?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Hm, I'm traveling from 20th to 31st - so only 7 instead of 19 days and only a single weekend. Probably not fair to sign up but then likely not be able to make something for my secret santa... I do want to krampushack though - I think I'll just do one for myself this year, on the two weekends from 11th to 19th :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Cool. I've signed up. Not sure what my commitment will be, but at least I'm an official registrant. πŸ‘ :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

Hm, I'm traveling from 20th to 31st - so only 7 instead of 19 days and only a single weekend.

I'll do some traveling myself as well. But it doesn't matter if you can't devote every day to it. A single weekend is enough to make something cool, Speedhack has proven that often enough ;)

Anyway, it's totally up to you but it would be cool if you could join again!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Gull's joined too, that makes four already!

edit: Edgar pointed out to me that it will start on a Monday this year. So... lot's of Monday projects this holiday season.

Johan HalmΓ©n
Member #1,550
September 2001

So... lot's of Monday projects this holiday season.

https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/613071

Just found that on an old drive. That wasn't the final version, I think.

<edit />
Ok, objects don't work on a.cc anymore. But you can download the attached mp3 and listen to a masterpiece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

now not voted. It's also not comment?

I'm join again.

In the end I will probably do it without a Christmas theme. That idea is very burned, that because it's Christmas I have to put something about Christmas. I would like to do something more creative. :)

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

You could do... a halloween theme?

Johan HalmΓ©n
Member #1,550
September 2001

You could do... a halloween theme?

Nightmare Before Christmas. Sandy Claws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

WTF there are only 6 entrants, we can do better. I am gonna advertise it a little bit !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

8 so far! Not so bad I think. Niek Zandt, one of the winners from Tins 2021 is joining again too.

I'll do another round of advertising in the coming days...

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Yeah, just do it!

8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'll do another round of advertising in the coming days...

Let me get you a graphic of some kind? 🀞 by end of day, hopefully? I have some ideas.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Absolutely, that would be awesome!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

OK, here's a colorized version:

EDIT: Image removed. See updated images in later post. (Original is still attached to this post if you want to see).

There are a few high-res and alt versions (black-and-white) in the attachments.

Let me know what you think, if you need changes or something :)

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

This is great, very eye catching! I'll use the colored version primarily. The black-and white versions are nice too, but I don't have a lot of printed materials to put them on.

Is there interest in a T-shirt too? In that case I'd like this design with a transparent background too.

Do you think that some of the icons might attract unwanted attention from the copyright inquisition if printed on a T-shirt? I worry mainly about Pacman and the space invader - the rest is probably fine.

edit:
Please retweet

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Is C, C++ and Lua the only languages we can use? :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

Is C, C++ and Lua the only languages we can use?

Well, if you start treating the icons as requirements, then I guess we should also target only consoles and handhelds?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Elias said:

Is C, C++ and Lua the only languages we can use? :P

The icons are the law, what can I say? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Do you think that some of the icons might attract unwanted attention from the copyright inquisition if printed on a T-shirt? I worry mainly about Pacman and the space invader - the rest is probably fine.

Truth be told, I did the icons part very quickly. I'm not 100% convinced they'll be OK because of copyright like you mentioned, but also because the terms of the "free use icons" sources where I got them not very clear.

So if we wanted to use them to make money (sell t-shirts, mugs and merch), I think a safer plan would be to use a different set of icons, or possibly use the icons from the TINS website's background (that would be more consistent branding, too, which I actually think would be better).

Alternatively, we could use the isolated graphic in the middle in isolation (on a mug might be cool).

I'll look for a safer alternative of icons see what I can find. I also tend to be way over-concerned about things like this, too.

EDIT:

OK! I have replaced the icons with stylized versions from off the TINS website. I also added some more languages for Elias ;) :P

They are here:

{"name":"613083","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b38c802a473cf042cc5bfed37f553be4.png","w":3168,"h":2448,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b38c802a473cf042cc5bfed37f553be4"}613083

{"name":"613085","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/68cef6c29355fd875bb40f9e357b964b.png","w":3168,"h":2448,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/68cef6c29355fd875bb40f9e357b964b"}613085

I actually think this looks better, is more "on brand", so thank you for the suggestions.

--

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Black works best for me. Good image. πŸ‘

Although I don't know what that diabolical face means, maybe I can no longer distinguish between Halloween and Christmas, ignore me.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The face is Krampus

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

RmBeer2 said:

Black works best for me. Good image. πŸ‘

Thanks. You can always invert the black-and-white version if you like.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2 

Go to: