Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I has been a while

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I has been a while
larienna
Member #3,185
January 2003

I have been here many years ago, and since I want to create/finish a project with allegro that was started many years ago, I might need to ask eventually for help and ask on the forums. So I though of comming back.

The problem is that I was not really sure if the forums were still active. Many of the forums had little or no thread, and much of the website have not been updated for a while. But there seems to be some recent threads, so I guess there are still people here.

As for me, since my project required simple 3D polygons in Allegro 4 and since it's not a touch/mouse based game, going with SDL or LibGDX is not an option. (Ok, it could work with libGDX, but I'll have to recode everything since it's not in C).

See you around.

Enjoy! and have fun

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Hello, you're always welcome!
If you have any problem, don't hesitate to ask. :)

What other forums do you visit? If the question doesn't bother you. I'm curious if there are other sites where Allegro is talked about. ;D

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Yea, stuff still happens around here. Would love to hear more about what you're working on. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

Welcome back, larienna! :)

Some are still active here. As far as I can tell all questions posted in the forums here received helpful answers.

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I'm sort of here. Struggling with conceptual work so not participating much.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Welcome back ! 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

This is the forum that refuses to die...

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

This is the forum that refuses to die...

Instead, it is aging like fine wine.

Welcome back Larienna, did you ever make the Ouya game you were talking about?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Instead, it is aging like fine wine.

Agree :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Don't feel bad about taking over this thread as noone seems to be posting on it anymore. Pictures were requested of me. Here's a couple of recent black and white ones :

{"name":"612992","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d136f8750d18cc4e710eaac920d9035f.png","w":1000,"h":1440,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d136f8750d18cc4e710eaac920d9035f"}612992

{"name":"612993","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/4\/a4db9d6769c24faefd331096ed5e8593.png","w":1235,"h":2376,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/4\/a4db9d6769c24faefd331096ed5e8593"}612993

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Here's a couple of recent black and white ones

Heeey 🧐🙂🤔. Those look nice. I like the contrasts, I feel like that's a new style/technique for you.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks Mark. Yes, I feel like I made a personal breakthrough with those. Glad yo like them.

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

@William Labbett

those drawings are looking awesome!

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

larienna
Member #3,185
January 2003

Thanks for the feedback. Long post ahead

I generally hang out on "Board Game Geek", "Video game geek" and "Board game designer's forum". I have been working on Board game design a lot, but I have not released anything ground breaking: Fallen Kingdoms, and Eldritch Express.

I did not dislike my experience, in fact I learned more about game design while making board games than video games. So I would recommend it to others, but if I knew I would come back to video games, I would have came back sooner and save me some frustration.

Now I was not sure which direction to go. I had different options: Android development with LibGDX, java and/or Kotlin to make touch based strategy game. One project was to convert Unciv as WizCiv, a master of magic clone. But I kind of started to hate java in the recent years, while gaining more love for plain C. I hope I like Kotlin more

The second option was to create more NES style games with maybe an engine like ORX that look interesting. Allowing me to code in C console like game.

But I have that project that is cursing me for like almost 20 years: Wizardry Legacy.

The game is "working", it does not have any "fun" adventure, and it's coded very ugly (I think I what they call Megamoths). I started to do an uncplusplusification of the project, since I now officially hate C++ and object oriented programming. I made some progress but I expected another 2 years of work before making it complete.

Since many mechanics where modified from the original, and since I had new rogue-like game ideas to add to the game, I was thinking in making a commercial game instead under a different name because the game would be divergent enough to stand on it's own

Since I did not want to close completely the source code, I decided to extract and publish the 3D maze engine plus the menu system as open source because those parts could have potential applications in other software. Then the rest will remain closed source.

Not sure if it's a good idea to push that project to completion, considering it's way more work than small android games, at least it will keep my mind busy during the pandemic.

If you are interested, I made a survey about the new project where I gather some comments. There is a link on the front page of my Wizardry Legacy website:

http://wl.lariennalibrary.com/

Else, I am currently rebuilding the 3D maze engine with new code using real polygon projection supplied by allegro. Which is something I was not using in the old engine. The project is called "mapper" and it's on git:

https://gitlab.com/larienna/mapper

I recently had issues with the handling of the joystick axis. I'll post tomorrow about it.

Enjoy! and have fun

Go to: