Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 5.2.7 released!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Allegro 5.2.7 released!
Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

FYI Aldrik's already done it, just waiting for review & merge.
https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/pull/1238

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I think I've found a bug, since ex_threads doesn't work on my system (Xubuntu 20.04.2, I've just realized I should update it). It just creates a bunch of small windows and then exits with a "segment violation (`core' generated)". ex_threads2 seems to work.

I have no idea how to debug threads so I can't be for much more help. BTW, since Allegro.pas version of ex_threads2 doesn't work outside GDB (but it does inside GDB ???) may be it is something similar to this old bug in Allegro 4 (just speculating).

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

ex_threads doesn't work with DX on Windows. It creates a bunch of threads and starts them all and they all create a window, and the window creation code isn't thread safe so it segfaults.

SiegeLord - could you look at the attached allegro.log and tell me what you see? I see a whole ton of "d3d_create_fullscreen_device: Mode not supported." messages. Why is allegro trying to create an unsupported mode? Can't the display modes be sorted or filtered somehow?

EDIT
I should say, they originate in d3d_check_mode called from d3d_create_fullscreen_device called by d3d_display_thread_proc called by create_display_internals, which loops over the modes checking each one.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Is that the log from ex_threads?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I don't know but d3d_check_mode looks a bit strange - if EnumAdaptorModes fails the whole function returns false (line 402), I would have though it should skip that mode and continue the enumeration?
https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/blob/4aa54e6c994af21bc63d8b593673ab3df62390f8/src/win/d3d_disp.cpp#L389-L410

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

SiegeLord - that's the log from my MSAA test program.

Try the patch from here https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/pull/1228#issuecomment-826285289

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Would it be possible (in the next build) to update the HLSL to something higher than v2?

Or even make it possible to choose which HLSL version to use? v2 is really limiting on the number of instructions that can be used.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I've done some updates and, on my Xubuntu 20.04LTS ex_threads doesn't work (freezes the computer) but ex_threads2 seems to work.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

@SiegeLord - sorry for the slow reply

So, your patch works for my Nvidia GPU, but not the onboard intel.

Which means, all the multisample requirements are being met, for fullscreen, fs window, and windowed mode, but ONLY with my Nvidia.

???

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Which means, all the multisample requirements are being met, for fullscreen, fs window, and windowed mode, but ONLY with my Nvidia.

You mean, in the logs, it tries the first mode and succeeds? What happens with the Intel, it still tries many modes before it fails?

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

It's great to see Allegro is constantly developing. I think I have a question or two though. I heard previous versions did not work well with Windows using C code. Has that been addressed or is that a major version issue? Also, has it been released on Fedora?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Bob Keane said:

I heard previous versions did not work well with Windows using C code

That's still an issue. To be clear, you can write your entire program in C, but you need to link in the C++ runtime, since Allegro uses some C++ internally. If this can be fixed, it won't require a major version.

Quote:

Also, has it been released on Fedora?

No idea.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

On Fedora, dnf will install 5.2.4. I don't know who (if anybody) is in charge of updating that.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord - to be clear, it may be succeeding, but if allegro doesn't report the number of samples to be other than zero, it turns red. That's the only way I know if its ms.

What exactly is affected by msaa? Primitives? Triangles? Fonts? Bitmaps?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

SiegeLord - to be clear, it may be succeeding, but if allegro doesn't report the number of samples to be other than zero, it turns red. That's the only way I know if its ms.

If you look at the logs on your Intel system, do lines like this:

display  D E:\usr\libs\Allegro52X\src\display_settings.c:212  debug_display_settings           [   0.51161] color: 32 (rgba 8880), depth: 0, stencil: 0, acc: 0000, samples: 0/0

Have the samples line be anything other than 0/0?

Quote:

What exactly is affected by msaa? Primitives? Triangles? Fonts? Bitmaps?

It affects everything with polygon edges that aren't aligned to pixels.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord, in every case with the Intel, they all report the format as supporting 0/0 samples, all 64 of them for fs.

UPDATE
Yeah, the Intel reports everything as 0/0 samples. This laptop is from 2015, it's Windows 10, and the integrated chipset is Intel HD 5600 .

And by the way,

does anyone know what it takes to build MinGW-W64 with GCC 10 support? I despise MSYS2 and I want to build distributable binaries for MinGW-W64 since the package manager fell off the planet.

8-)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Why do you despise msys2 ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Will there be a 5.2.7.1 release to address some of the problems?

No. Point releases are pretty much just for newly broken releases (like it doesn't build or something) or regressions; these issues have been there for over a decade, they're not worth releasing over.

I do want to release 5.2.8 earlier than next year though...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I think it's worth it this time. MSAA and no window flickering? Some people are still using custom builds and need binaries that are fixed. I'll probably do it sometime soon. Pissed that mingw-w64 binaries are still stuck on GCC 8.1 and I don't know how to build MinGW-W64 with GCC 10 or I would build binaries for that too.

EDIT The log deadlock sucks too.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

And yet msys 2 is having gcc version 10.3.0 ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

ryonagana
Member #6,623
November 2005

i had problems with minGW too

something related to the symbol _moddiv4 is missing in mingw library available only w64-mingw

now i'm using MinGW bundled with Qt Creator, works fine and my previous mingw i686 DWARF
installation didn't go well with Allegro 5.2.7

this problem can be fixed if you build allegro by yourself
but doing it on windows sucks

c++

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2 

Go to: