Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Why Allegro.cc Is Important AKA Social Media Is A Serious Thread To Humanity

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Why Allegro.cc Is Important AKA Social Media Is A Serious Thread To Humanity
relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

The business model, left unchecked, is the problem. The ads and invasion of privacy are just the means. The harm isn't in acquiring and selling users, it's in the process of addicting those users to extract as much revenue from them as possible. It is an inevitable ends so long as the business model remains viable. Like selling cigarettes to children.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

There's nothing wrong with marketing as a general concept. It's the type of targeting they use and the high level of detail they can use to focus that targeting virtually right down to a particular individual.

It's this targeting that allows advertisers to take advantage of people based on information they provide through natural interaction with the product. It's especially sinister with Facebook/social media because the product is full of emotional and personal details about the users. That's not something your TV could provide to them in the 90s.

Most people don't realize that the algorithm can determine what 'triggers' them, or that advertisers are able to hook onto those triggers. They may not recognize those triggers in themselves to begin with. It's far more complex than most people are able to understand (myself and you included, don't mistake my disdain for righteousness). They just like and share, pick their size, plug in their card number, and feel great about it. That's how it's designed.

Taking advantage of people through advertising is definitely not new. If you never watched 'The Century of the Self' I strongly recommend you check it out.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

DATA NEVER SLEEP 8.0: BlackRook - 0 users! YAAAAY!!! \o/

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo said:

If you never watched 'The Century of the Self' I strongly recommend you check it out.

4 hours?! :'( This is going to take all year to watch...

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I have watched 2 hours (2 episodes), and I have come to the conclusion that they are all crazy and have no remedy. Why not push a red button and blow them all to pieces with nuclear silos? Best solution impossible!

Look at smoking torches of freedom because unconsciously they were burning male penises. Or they all end up exploding in rage or depression because they can't suppress their self-destructive impulses. They overthrew a government with false information because they wanted to get all the bananas to the whole world. Government and companies always find opportunities to control idiots because they cannot even suppress their desire to control everything.

The Second World War, the market crash, hysterical people, the army of psychologists, etc. It's not fault of Freud! No no no! It's all Moses' fault for allowing them to multiply instead of letting them die out! *SIGH*

EDIT:

Moses was the first son of a bitch to have manipulated the masses psychologically so that they did not fall into extinction.

EDIT:

If the technology advances drastically and we reach the pinnacle before the established AI, I am going to take the time machine, travel to the past and screw Moses just to have it all disappear along with Egypt.
And if necessary I go back even further, and kick all ass of fucking Martians' by creating genetically a shitty race.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

This guy condenses the entire 4 hours into a single minute.

video

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I don't know if you guys saw the debate last night but it was basically a twitter fight. It was just egos defending themselves and swinging around like monkeys. The individual is being hyper-inflated and it's just permeating everything.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I didn't watch them. Not only did I neither know nor care that they were going on, but the power went out for a few hours, and I have a sore throat so I went to bed at like 7:30 PM. Over the course of the evening, night, and morning I woke up a few times and there were some updates on my phone about the debate. Sounds like Trump was a troll as usual.

The only highlights that I know of so far are that at one point Trump kept interrupting Biden, ignoring moderation, and Biden got fed up and told Trump to shut up. I would like to know why the moderator didn't have any teeth though. I get that the moderator was a Fox News staffer so I guess that's not surprising, but you'd think a moderator would threaten a candidate speaking out of turn with some kind of penalty (and obviously follow through).

And at some point the moderator pointed out that Trump is calling for Biden to condemn "antifa" (which Biden correctly stated was an idea, not an organization or formal group), and the moderator asked Trump if he would then denounce white supremacists and militias. Biden also correctly pointed out that the FBI has identified white supremacists and militias as initiating violence at peaceful protests. And after some beating around the bush, Trump refused to do that. Instead he said something like, stand down, but stand ready. :o>:(

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I read a few lines, and I'm already thinking that Biden has no support contrary to Trump. Maybe Biden also needs PR lessons to get support from the masses and also from the moderator or Fox News.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I wrote in the other thread.

The national debate was an embarrassment.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I didn't watch it either. I just checked his reaction on #TheRealDonaldTrump Twit account. He was more interested in the TV ratings than any substance. Why did he not discuss any points, plans etc he made during the debatecle? Why did he not discuss any issues in his tweet? Did he not discuss such things during the "debate"?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

And after he recovers from mild COVID-19 symptoms (as the majority of Americans do) under the watchful eye of a dedicated, talented medical team (as the majority of Americans don't) he'll boast that he's the strongest person ever and COVID-19 is no worse than a tiny tiny cold.

So yeah, I wish he'd never gotten it.

video

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I concluded the same. Well actually I questioned if he's even sick in the first place or is it an elaborate election scam. For all I know it's an established fact, but I am not aware of it, and I wouldn't put it past them.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

And after he recovers from mild COVID-19 symptoms (as the majority of Americans do) under the watchful eye of a dedicated, talented medical team (as the majority of Americans don't) he'll boast that he's the strongest person ever and COVID-19 is no worse than a tiny tiny cold.

Maybe his advisors told him to fake it to cancel the next debate.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It was just simply a terrible debate performance by Trump. He should be able to walk all over Biden. He did Biden a big favor in the debate by continuously interrupting him. Trump should be looking forward to another debate where he interrupts Biden 98% less and lets Biden trip over his own words.

I hate Trump and already have cast my vote for Biden, but the guy seriously isn't able to compete on stage at his age. Not sure what he was like when he was 20 years younger - didn't pay attention.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Trump should be looking forward to another debate where he interrupts Biden 98% less and lets Biden trip over his own words.

Trump won the last debate,watched by more people than the Trump/Clinton debate. Why would he bother debating Biden again?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arguably Trump supporters are still on the fence. It has been nearly 4 years, but they need a little more time. This is tough. Everybody else already knows what needs to happen. In a sick way I will be amused if he wins just to see how much faster this is going to get fucked up than it needed to.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Interrupting Biden was a tactic used by Trump to trigger his stuttering.

Kinda cheap.

In 2016, Trump's campaign kept a list of 3.5 million black voters (among 200 million in the database) that were marked for 'deterrence' and to convince them not to vote for Hillary.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

New article about how GPT-3 posted as a user on Reddit in the past week:

https://www.kmeme.com/2020/10/gpt-3-bot-went-undetected-askreddit-for.html

There wasn't even any nuance in this, just a sloppy throw of the tech against the wall.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Honestly, I've been seeing players in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) lately that play like bots, except bots the way you would have envisioned they should work if you learned of the idea today. They have a mechanical nature in that they'll spin around while perfectly smoothly raising their crosshair (diagonally across the screen) straight onto a target they shouldn't have known was there without changing their aiming vector and be perfect. Humans usually develop a reflex to "snap" onto target instead (to compensate for our reaction time, etc., because it's a race between players to see who can shoot sufficiently accurately the fastest). Yet these suspects aren't stupid when the objective is far away or unclear; they're intelligent in what they do and act just like people do. It's somewhat worrying that these might well be machines that are so good that they can reliably fool people. I'm already convinced that CS:GO (excepting maybe competitive in the highest ranks) is literally full of hackers (>50% chance of encountering one on any given public server; from what I can see the private server market really isn't there yet), but having bots that appear real and are effectively also hacking is next level. That would effectively ruin online gaming until we could reliable differentiate between people and bots again. :P Let alone the scary real world consequences of what that could mean for warfare, police states, etc.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

New article about how GPT-3 posted as a user on Reddit in the past week:

https://www.kmeme.com/2020/10/gpt-3-bot-went-undetected-askreddit-for.html

There wasn't even any nuance in this, just a sloppy throw of the tech against the wall.

I did not read the entire article, but from what I read, it could produce an essay if the user types in three or four words. Is that true? and if so, BamBam, why don't you type "I think Donald Trump" and see what comes out.

1   2   3 

Go to: