Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Undefined reference errors Allegro 5

Credits go to Edgar Reynaldo for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Undefined reference errors Allegro 5
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I've been trying to compile a project using Allegro 5 but getting "undefined reference to __cxa_guard_acquire" and "undefined reference to __cxa_guard_release" errors. I am using the allegro binaries from here: https://bitbucket.org/bugsquasher/unofficial-allegro-5-binaries/downloads/Allegro525_GCC81_MinGW_W64_i686_posix_dwarf.7z

and mingw gcc version 8.1.0 (i686-posix-dwarf-rev0, Built by MinGW-W64 project)

using codeblocks. Any ideas?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Bob Keane said:

Any ideas?

Hate to give the obvious danky allegro.cc answer but, don't use codeblocks. 🤷‍♂️

I'm actually curious, though, what features specifically do you like about CodeBlocks?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I've only tried one or two ides and settled with codeblocks. There is no specific reason I use it. The output from gcc -v is_

Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=C:/MINGW/i686-8.1.0-release-posix-dwarf-rt_v6-rev0/mingw32/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/8.1.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: i686-w64-mingw32
Configured with: ../../../src/gcc-8.1.0/configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --build=i686-w64-mingw32 --target=i686-w64-mingw32 --prefix=/mingw32 --with-sysroot=/c/mingw810/i686-810-posix-dwarf-rt_v6-rev0/mingw32 --enable-shared --enable-static --disable-multilib --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,lto --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-threads=posix --enable-libgomp --enable-libatomic --enable-lto --enable-graphite --enable-checking=release --enable-fully-dynamic-string --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2 --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-bootstrap --disable-rpath --disable-win32-registry --disable-nls --disable-werror --disable-symvers --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-arch=i686 --with-tune=generic --with-libiconv --with-system-zlib --with-gmp=/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static --with-mpfr=/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static --with-mpc=/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static --with-isl=/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static --with-pkgversion='i686-posix-dwarf-rev0, Built by MinGW-W64 project' --with-bugurl=https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64 CFLAGS='-O2 -pipe -fno-ident -I/c/mingw810/i686-810-posix-dwarf-rt_v6-rev0/mingw32/opt/include -I/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-zlib-static/include -I/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static/include' CXXFLAGS='-O2 -pipe -fno-ident -I/c/mingw810/i686-810-posix-dwarf-rt_v6-rev0/mingw32/opt/include -I/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-zlib-static/include -I/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static/include' CPPFLAGS=' -I/c/mingw810/i686-810-posix-dwarf-rt_v6-rev0/mingw32/opt/include -I/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-zlib-static/include -I/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static/include' LDFLAGS='-pipe -fno-ident -L/c/mingw810/i686-810-posix-dwarf-rt_v6-rev0/mingw32/opt/lib -L/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-zlib-static/lib -L/c/mingw810/prerequisites/i686-w64-mingw32-static/lib -Wl,--large-address-aware'
Thread model: posix
gcc version 8.1.0 (i686-posix-dwarf-rev0, Built by MinGW-W64 project)

I'm coding in C, is Allegro only C++ on Windows? That would limit its usability in my opinion. If the problem is the compiler, do you have a link to the correct one? There are several on the download page.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

After playing with it a bit, I coded it in C++. The error is gone. Should I hate MINGW or Microsoft for forcing me to learn a new language?

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Don't need to learn a new language. Stick to C. Just compile in C++.

However, it never hurts to expand your knowledge.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Unless it's my compiler, C++ seems stricter. I had a warning in some code when using the C compiler but it was an error for the C++ compiler.

DanielH said:

However, it never hurts to expand your knowledge.

You kids with your fancy new languages. What's wrong with BASIC?

Go to: