Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » I Found a Great Network Programming Resource

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I Found a Great Network Programming Resource
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

About a month ago I posted on the forums asking about network programming and network libraries.

Today I stumbled across this really good resource, "Beej's Guide to Network Programming". It seems to be a seminal document on the topic, has had a lot of contributors, revisions, and translations. So I thought I'd share:

Beej's Guide to Network Programming:
http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/html/

Consequently, I also found the Google C++ Style Guide which also looks cool.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare • AllegroFlare Docs • AllegroFlare GitHub

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Cool, 1999 still gets some recognition 8-)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I'm also thinking it's a good ressource ;-)

The bad Beej point: nothing or so little windows testing. It kicked back a few times.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I also found a great book: Programming of Socket Linux of Sean Walton , explain much more that a network programming.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm almost certain that you've seen that before, Mark. That was the defacto guide ~14 years ago when I joined the forums. I think, like the rest of us, you're getting old. ;)

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Guys what is the valid use case for programing networking connectivity
My gift to you
learn SQL and use it to merge your data layer and network layer. it will speed up your development 1000 fold and give you abilities beyond your wildest Dreams.

King Piccolo

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

piccolo recommending SQL...

The effect of the Sativa Cannibal is over, now you must be suffering an involute as a side effect. Is knew that consuming too many drugs would not be good for health (overdose).

I had a better opinion of you, but to recommend something horrible to your friends... >:(

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

state your grieves, i will hash them out for you. I have been using sql professionally at an enterprise level my whole carrier i know its power and i and have found power in it that im am not sure if the average human programmer is aware of. once you start thinking in terms of organizational tables the implementations will through themselves at you effortlessly you will have to learn to dough like the matrix

wow

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Price. Proprietary. Shitty API. Monstrous overhead.
Smells like Java.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

im agree with @GullRaDriel , maybe it has some good thing inside the MySQL or MariaDB code, but for that I have to gut it, take the best codes and create a new database engine. Which would take me 1 year and I don't feel like it. It offers me as little profit as using SQL directly.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

those just subjective personal attack on the tech. my whole point is to start using a database the has network connectivity there are many to pick from. once you have a database you have a database i used free ms sql server. mysql is just as good. overhead is controllable with what you decided enable. one database can be for all your dev projects

wow

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

PostgreSQL FTW.

#TrollAttitude

8-)

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

PostgreSQL looks decent never used it. but the power in database is that the Tsql is a slandered

wow

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Seriously don't realize? All SQL related codes should fall out of date into oblivion, and being stacked as one of many failed codes, is normal. What is abnormal is taking the first failed job as something that works and encouraging its use until it becomes a monstrosity.

All SQL has to be scrapped and re-created from scratch with another better technology. :)

Go to: