Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Sponsor Allegro on GitHub?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Sponsor Allegro on GitHub?
MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

I think it cannot hurt to enable it on the GitHub page and leave it for 6 months - see how that goes. By that time it should be obvious how much there is and what can be done with it. If it fails to be a sum of interest to anyone just send it to one charity or similar.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@MikiZX , What?? Nothing for one charity! If nobody wants the money send it to me!! :D

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

SiegeLord said:

I've never seen bug bounties work, but perhaps that's an okay idea too.

This makes complete sense to me. Most experienced developers are already rich driving lambos. That leaves the bounties $$ incentive to more junior developers who are likely to implement the bounty in a sloppy way.

At this scale, it seems merit and passion (and availability) are better motivators.

For the sake of argument, though, I wager bounties are less about a direct link to the development of a feature, and more of a marketing thing, spreading awareness about the project in general.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Things is old standing projects like this don't get devs if they don't get users. What we need are more users, and then they will contribute more often as devs, because they have a vested interest in making the library they use work well for them.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I have wanted to say this for a long time, I have built my server and client with the purpose of making developers earn money. Why don't you support me in some way for the same purpose?

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

AramisL
Member #16,723
August 2017

Hi all!
if you want more users... what about youtube? there are a lot of channels about c++, videosgames, programms, android... I mean, why allegro havent got a youtube channel yet? let the crowd meet allegro;D

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I talk about allegro on my channel, and many others too.

I think what is needed is something a little more professional I guess. Separated by chapters and explaining game reviews or codes for 30 minutes per chapter. All from depots.

Long ago when I had the opportunity to use YouTube, I wanted to do the same with my server the time I had Chess working. But guess that? I couldn't do absolutely nothing! Issue? There were no people participating. This can only work if there are people participating which can nurture and allow for any lengthy reviews or interviews. Allegro has very little, and may risk running out of anything to show.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Most experienced developers are already rich driving lambos.

???

Perhaps in Richmond or Mountain view...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

According to this we make more than half of what a doctor makes and we're up in the top 10 along with dentists and pharmacists and architects :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

pmprog
Member #11,579
January 2010

Things is old standing projects like this don't get devs if they don't get users

I must admit, whilst I always turn to Allegro from my development projects, finding or building an Allegro port always seems pretty difficult.

I'm currently looking at making my current project compilable on my new Odroid Go Advance. As always, there's an SDL 2 port already though.

I don't even understand the concepts of KMS/DRM to even know how to port Allegro to it. Though there is a library for interacting with the OGA's features, but I'll be honest, this sort of stuff is generally over my head.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm maintaining a project with SDL. While it's more popular, it's a pile of trash in so many ways. Even installing it can be a PITA because SDL and SDL2 have conflicting filenames.

I'd almost port it to Allegro just to see how hard it would be but it wouldn't really "do" anything for me as long as SDL is currently working.

Funny thing is, this is a 90's game open sourced "update" so it uses tons of per-pixel access and scanline access (was originally for 8-bit color), so it might even be faster in Allegro4.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2 

Go to: