Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Life old projects

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Life old projects
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

A discussion on another topic was about people coding things for long time.
Edgar stated that we all have some life long projects, and I think he is right !

So now... time to brag, to show us your antiquities ! Tell us about your life longs projects ! Links to documentations, examples, code, gits, as well as a little backstory are welcome ! Think of it as a ressource for the members ;-)

I'll start:

My life long project started as a game in 2003. It's not 'that' long, but it's the longest I have.
At that time I was playing "The Fourth Coming" a free mmorpg. When they ended it a little group of players (me included) decided to start the development of a clone of that game. How naïve I was ^^ We went through a lot of disillusions and problems. We tried hard, during a few years. The games name was Nilorea, and the site archive is still reachable. We were making a lot of role playing and had a few IRC meetings that will stay forever in my heart. My name in the original game was TheGull, then TheGullRa when I started an in game family, and finally GullRaDriel when our evil family melted with the one of a good royal guard (what a mess it made ^^).
We had our good times, and we even were invited for free at the international game show of Cannes. At that time Ryzom, Everquest and the firsts dancing boards where our neighbors.
Later on real life took it's tool on each member, and some new guys we took with us decided to restart the whole project in C++ using Ogre. I ended being in competition with them for the best working game. In.the.same.team . When the deadline came it also rang the death of the project.
It had bad sides, but not as much as the good sides: I'm finally a coder. I made my experience the hard way, scolded by old beard bearer geeks. And I'm carrying a souvenir from all that time: The famous ( ;-) ) Nilorea C Library.

Now you have the background, here is the thing:

Documentation
Git repo

Free to use, free to modify, please submit me bugs or ideas if ever :-)
Nearly all the library can be used as separated .h .c files, or as a .so/dll
It's basic list,hash tables,networking, threading, string functions.

Your turn 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Mine is MinGRo, a game engine I started few after I met Allegro (3.1 IIRC). I started it in C, then C++, now Object Pascal. I changed it to Object Pascal about 10 years ago and still in alpha.

My problem is that I suffer some kind of Broussard Syndrome*, which forces to plan adding more stuff while previous isn't yet finished, so the project is in a spiral of re-planning stuff because the new stuff interferes with old stuff and sometimes means rewriting the stuff that is working yet.

* If you don't know, George Broussard is Duke Nukem co-creator and Duke Nukem Forever main responsible before it was sold to Gearbox Software. People who worked with him say he has a problem: every week he entered the office saying he has played a new game that has a new gameplay/weapon/scenary/bell that is cool and he wanted to add to the game. He did it in Duke Nukem 3D but fortunatelly Todd Replogle and Allen Blum (Duke co-creators) stopped him most times, but they didn't work on DNF so that might be the main reason of DNF lasting form more than 10 years in the making...

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

For a couple years I worked on a bot for an online game. Completely experimental, just wanted to see what was possible. Was super advanced, technically speaking, with no banned accounts in gosh knows how many hours of playtime... Over 100K lines of C++ code, portable across Windows and Linux, with a huge complex build system... yeah, it was pretty cool and impressive.

To justify it morally, I never sold any of the resources produced by the bot or interfered with multiplayer activities. It was just a hobby. :)

But I got tired of updating the bot to workaround changes in the game so I said frig it, I'm making my own game. 8-) I re-used the AI and GameDB libraries written by yours truly for the bot in ItsyRealm, so not all was for naught.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I started my project on Allegro 4 when IDE drives were being phased out. After many weird problems and a lack of focus, I have a noticeable amount of code done. I am stuck rewriting a small phase.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

No life ling projet from Peter or Siegelord ? I'm astonished ^^
As for Major Reynaldo ^^

Aller, don't be shy, post it !

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The only projects that actually left planning stages from me were Speedhack/TINS entries basically.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

No life ling projet from Peter or Siegelord ? I'm astonished ^^

Did you mean me?
If so, I don't unfortunately. I have spent a bit of time just now, going through old projects and whatever XCode will still load up. Basically I start something for a couple of days and get distracted, then when I come back I've forgotten what on earth I was up to (and usually a bit horrified by the code so far)
I grabbed screenshots from some of the still-working ones.
{"name":"612402","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/e\/2e191f6c246973aa2dfb0aab1d6d03f0.gif","w":320,"h":180,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/e\/2e191f6c246973aa2dfb0aab1d6d03f0"}612402

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Well, doesn't allegro count for it ?

BTW your gif is all black.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

BTW your gif is all black.

Weird, it's OK on Firefox but for Safari, cloudfront has changed it to a JPEG.

edit: actually maybe it's if you're logged in or not?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Aside from Allegro (which I started contributing to in 2008-2009), my longest project is a wrapper around Gnuplot, used to make scientific plots. The first version was written in D back in 2009, and today it's written in Rust: https://github.com/SiegeLord/RustGnuplot.

The second longest project is my quest to create a nice configuration file format. It started out in D in 2012, moved to C and now is also written in Rust: https://github.com/SiegeLord/SLRConfig

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

edit: actually maybe it's if you're logged in or not?

It works if your logged on.

<edit> Fixed due to multiple complaints. </edit>

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

If not logged on, you can click it and it gets a bit bigger and starts working. Dunno why.

Quote:

<quote name="Peter Hull" src=http://">edit: actually maybe it's if you're logged in or not?

ps. your markup-fu is weak ;)

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

ps. your markup-fu is weak

I blame the government. They are constantly monitoring and editing posts to make dissenters look unintelligent.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

WoW. That's a bunch of mini games Peter ! Are you having a website or so which act as a repo ?

Go to: