Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Deploying your allegro game for linux

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Deploying your allegro game for linux
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I finally switched to Linux (mint) for good..
And I use Code:: blocks as an IDE, so I'm not realy used to makefiles.

Can anyone tell me step by step how I should bundle my game so others can install and play the game ?

I have no problem with releasing my code, it's open source anyway !

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Static link as much as you can (You can't static link everything) and then use ldd to determine which .so libraries your program depends on. Package those with your game, and use a startup script to add the library path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I found this nice command: ldd file | grep "=> /" | awk '{print $3}' | xargs -I '{}' cp -v '{}' /destination

So all used .so libs are now in a "shared" folder in the root of my release version..
Now how would that startup script look like ?

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Seems to work !
Thnx..

I'll put up a version this week ;D;)

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

I'd recommend giving these bad bois a look too: https://appimage.org/

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

that is a good suggestion dthompson..

btw I've added Khan to the game ;D

{"name":"1k0.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/d\/5d597f042927deb810c7d9edf079df31.jpg","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/d\/5d597f042927deb810c7d9edf079df31"}1k0.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$OLD_PATH

No need to restore it. The script is executed in a subprocess with its own copy of the environment. When the script exits the process ends and the shell that spawned it takes control again with its original environment.

(That is not generally the case with batch scripting in DOS/Windows, but in Unix-like systems I think all of the shells operate that way...)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: