Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Titles for veteran a dot cc members

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Titles for veteran a dot cc members
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Since we've all been here so long, I figure ML could give us some kind of titles. You know, like nobility, since we've been freedom fighters for allegro.cc since the day we downloaded Allegro 3.9.11 cough well me anyway cough

So I want my title to be Major Reynaldo. Titles are available on first come first serve basis. Vote for the title you want now, by reply to this thread.[1].

References

1. Subject to availability, appropriateness, humor, self deprecation, and the rule of ML and his willingness to play along
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I want my title to be Red Dude.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Oh, kids these days that think 2007 is a long time ago :) I was a member before a.cc existed :), if you count Allegro Games Depot.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

I'm an American we rejected titles of nobility when we declared independence in 1776.

But in reality I'm just not creative enough to think of a title :).

I've not been silent for decades. I just post SUPER rarely now :). If you remember a year or two ago I was working on jalleg. These days I would be even more interested in seeing if Allegro can be made to work with GraalVM's native compilation mode -- instant start up + no JRE required + still can use Java. But I haven't quite figured out how it bridges to C code unless that C code was in LLVM, in which case the foreign function interface disappears apparently so there is zero-overhead calls between C and Java.

Gillius

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Well one of my motives for jalleg was that providing it also then supports any other languages on JVM such as JS, which of course you could type in and now it's totally dynamic and a more mainstream approach than using lua. And of course there are Ruby implementations on JVM, so with jalleg you could do Ruby + Eagle + Allegro today. I don't know the full extent of the quality of Ruby implementations on JVM though.

EDIT: a link to the most popular one that I know of: https://www.jruby.org/

Gillius

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Wow I guess I did jalleg farther back than I thought.

The latest version of jalleg deployed to Maven Central (public package repo) is 0.1. Most changes since then is the docs (which is seen on github page) and JDK 11 building support. There are getting started docs here:

https://github.com/gillius/jalleg

The latest runtime I've pushed is 5.2.3. I only push Allegro runtimes for Windows x86. If you are running on Linux, you just need to have allegro installed on your ld_path (i.e. liballegro.so) as you would for any normal C-based app.

I wouldn't worry about the version number. I believe I mapped virtually all of the functions of Allegro.

You can see what I've mapped here: https://github.com/gillius/jalleg/blob/master/jalleg-binding/BindingStatus.md

You can see example Java program on that page. Since JRuby runs in JVM you can call Java code. I don't know what its equivalent is for importing, but if you import AllegroLibrary class, the static methods on that class it should look as much as possible like the C code.

I do provide an optional jalleg-framework component which can be used to make it more friendly in an object-oriented and managed/garbage collected environment.

I have pong clone examples using the raw "C" API and using jalleg-framework.

Gillius

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

The callbacks work in jalleg just as well as in C. They just call Java methods, not C ones. With Java 8+ lamdbas the callbacks even can look like inline functions like what you'd see in JavaScript.

Although I am realizing now you can't use Eagle out of the box, since it would be a separate C library. You'd have to provide a JNA binding to Eagle. However, JNA maps to C fairly easily, basically the hard part is that you need to manually convert the header or use a tool like JNAerator which takes header files, but as you know in C, header files can be a little tricky since they rely on a lot of external context, the class ultimately just has a bunch of native methods like so:

public static native void al_draw_bitmap(ALLEGRO_BITMAP bitmap, float dx, float dy, int flags);
  public static native void al_draw_bitmap_region(ALLEGRO_BITMAP bitmap, float sx, float sy, float sw, float sh, float dx, float dy, int flags);
  public static native void al_draw_scaled_bitmap(ALLEGRO_BITMAP bitmap, float sx, float sy, float sw, float sh, float dx, float dy, float dw, float dh, int flags);

If you just have functions with primitives and callbacks it's not too bad but if you get into structs or a large number of functions, the tool may be worth using. To build the mapping for Allegro I ran the tool on each header file one at a time then did some cleanup (there can be different choices for how to map things) and pasted and merged into one file.

Gillius

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I think I requested "Village Idiot" once. Is it still available? As for my project, I am treating a serious case of writer's block with a healthy dose of Final Fantasy on a Nintendo emulator.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Almost Always Right ;)

I think it's probably best to leave said titles up to ML. If we were to permit just anything now it could seriously taint the perceived quality of content here. The whole point of the title was that it was special. They didn't always mean something meaningful, but the fact that not just anybody could post something there made it meaningful in itself.

The fact that the site is dying might make it even more important that we not add titles now. Anybody who happens upon the archives, lucky devils, might be confused by context if our titles are misleading.

Append

Or perhaps A.S.S., short for Almost Always Sarcastic. I'm not sure if that's true anymore, but I think it was back in our heyday. :-*

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

gillius said:

Oh, kids these days that think 2007 is a long time ago :) I was a member before a.cc existed :), if you count Allegro Games Depot.

Me too! :) I lost my first account though. I have mostly been lurking all these years, and I will continue to do so until the end. This place is so much nostalgia for me...

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Senior Contributor
8-)

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

bamccaig said:

The fact that the site is dying

That's been said for a very long time now, yet, we're still here.

As for titles, despite being from old Europe, I do not want one. Only losers need titles. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Also, I'm putting in a vote for
Colonel Kalliokoski

I already have a title! :D

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

We're all doing to die anyway.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Why did Edgar get his title and not the rest of us? >:(

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

ML, you okay hun?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Don't expect it to be filled, because I suppose it's a lot, but I wish my name on here were "Erin Bolyard" or, preferably, "Erin Maus" (the latter is what I've been in the process of changing to BUT CORONA has definitely nuked that for now).

(ItsyRealm's website uses Erin Maus and I'm working on updating my portfolio to do the same depending on the URL you hit it at).

I like my member number, it's a reminder that I and bambams are eternal nemeses. 8-) (Just jostling).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

JMasterx said:

Why did Edgar get his title and not the rest of us?

Did you notice Arthur Kalliokoski was named second in command, or have I not noticed it before?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

1   2 

Go to: