Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is the GW in MinGw same as GW in GWBasic

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Is the GW in MinGw same as GW in GWBasic
AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

I got to wondering about something today and thought someone on here might have a clue.

Is the GW in MinGW same as GW in GW Basic. And before the jokes fly, yes I know it's the same letters. I mean is the organization responsible for MinGW the same group that made DOS based GWBasic. I don't know if there is an recent GWBasic line interpreter. So my theory was that the company moved to C / C++ compilers

Just curious.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

🤯

Don't listen to BAM he's part of the Illuminati who hides the truth!!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare • AllegroFlare Docs • AllegroFlare GitHub

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

No, GW Basic has nothing to do with GNU.

Also, GW-Basic came out quite a while before Windows did.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

out of memory in 200 ;D
It even had commands to control cassette tape input and output

I recall a GWBasic demo called "Genius World" maybe that has something to do with it ?

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

Commodore64 Basic was my first taste of programming but it was more copying what was in the manual than actually creating a program. GW Basic and IBMs Basica were my first language. Thought it was cool to create a BAT file to load basic and program. I would then have the program call the SYSTEM command on exit. It would then drop back out to BAT file. The BAT would clear the screen and echo a one liner thanking for using the program. Gave the illusion or feel of an executable. Thought I was slick at the time ;D.

In any case so there is no connection other than coincidental use of GW. Oh well, it was just a thought.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

TI-BASIC was my first programming language. Those fancy graphing calculators are a gateway drug to the dark side.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

Basic, was a double edge sword. It was good in that its simplicity enticed potential programmers. It was bad in that it’s simplicity hindered learning anything else. It made everything else seem unnecessarily complicated. While in college, my limited basic knowledge made understanding Cobol difficult, Fortran almost impossible, and RPG II? Forget about it. It took me three times of installing and deleting Quick C before I finally stuck with it. The setup (include files, main functions, output format) seem cumbersome. It took awhile to finally understand, with complexity, comes options.

BTW Quick C is still my favorite IDE and compiler, even came with it’s own graphics library. Too bad it’s obsolete.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

TI-BASIC was also my first language, but for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A basic in ~1982/83.
{"name":"612155","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4c2e0bd971be9975ba1141a1de3573a.png","w":816,"h":624,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4c2e0bd971be9975ba1141a1de3573a"}612155

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My first was QBasic, but I learned TI-BASIC on my TI-86. I tried to learn ASM on it as well (never made anything useful, outside of a high score resetter for a Tetris game that was passed around)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

DanielH said:

TI-BASIC was also my first language, but for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A basic in ~1982/83.

Same. My parents bought that computer thanks to Bill Cosby.

video

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

My parents bought it at a warehouse club (Price Club - which is now Costco).

We had the basic system no drives. Had to use cassette tapes to save programs.

BTW, TI Invaders is one of the best Space Invaders games out there. Loved that game.

AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

First computer was a Commodore 64 I got at a yard sale for 50 bucks. Used 13 color TV as monitor. Didn’t take long to realize I needed to keep the floppy away from TV/monitor.
Best games were Aztec Challenge, Sid Meier Pirates, microprose flight simulator, and finally Star Trek 25th anniversary.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My first real computer was a Pentium, I think, running Windows 95. :-[ My mom had to save up for months to afford it (I think it set her back something like $4000 at the time). We played some silly kids games on it, but nothing awesome.

I didn't know programming was a thing until I was assigned some optional class I was afraid to take in grade 12 (can't remember what now), and friends told me about a computer science class that I should swap it for, and so I did. The class was basically an introduction to programming in C++. Great class. The teacher didn't lecture or anything. They lent us textbooks supplied by the high school, and the teacher just assigned us reading and exercises from the book. Some students complained that the teacher didn't do anything, but for myself it was the perfect class. No human interaction at all. Just messing with the computer. I loved it. If it wasn't for that little accident I don't know what I'd be doing right now.

The best college courses had the same format. Read these chapters from the textbook (we had to pay for the textbook this time, obviously) and do these exercises. And then the odd test. It was lots of fun, and easy to do. Of course, you had the same people that probably should have picked another field complaining that the instructor wasn't doing anything, and complaining that it was too hard... ::)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

MinGW stands for Minimalist GNU for Windows. Final point.

;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My dad had an IBM PS/2 running Windows 3.0 :P

But the main computer I remember running was a 486 with Windows 3.1

As far as a computer I could call my own, a friend of my dad gave him some parts (he was moving overseas) and I put it together. It was a Pentium. Forgot what OS was on it. But the first computer I bought and built was a Pentium 3 with Windows 98 SE (The bad about ME was widespread enough for me to avoid it). I think a hard drive crash (or something just messing with the MBR when it wasn't supposed to and wiping it while I was using the computer) resulted in my getting XP for that machine.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

Over the years I’ve have several desktops and laptops, but my fav has always been the IBM 8573 P70 luggable (PS/2 Micro-channel) which I still have. It’s a 386 with a 387 math-co processor, 4 meg ram and 40 meg hard drive. It has a VGA gas plasma screen & runs DOS 6.2 with Windows 3.1. I fire it up a few times a week just to make sure everything is still working.

As for Win ME. It think it got a bad rap by hard core users / business ITs. I ran it for a few years, I liked it well enough. Never had anymore issues with it than any other WinOS I ran.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I started to get into computing with a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_500 and to gaming with a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vectrex

Then I got a 286, 486, a citrix 133, and so on. I've also played with some old cards like voodoo series, with glide as a 3d driver.

Edit: when I first used 3DStudio it was a fullscreen dos program, I miss that version.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

At the time I really hoping Amiga was going to put Commodore back in the PC game. Read up on Vextex. Sounds cool. I had the typical Intellivision and Atari setups. As my 4 sons came along and grew up, we had all the rest starting with NES. I personally quit keeping up after NES. However, wife and sons bought me a Switch (I like being portable). Now that thing is sweet.

As for programming, with a wife and 4 boys ( and a bit of a lazy streak) I never became the hacker I dreamed of being. I program mainly to learn something new or to test a theory, not necessarily for the outcome product.

Go to: