Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Firefox Extensions Are Broken

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Firefox Extensions Are Broken
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Today in the middle of watching a YouTube video (i.e., software already running) suddenly Firefox disabled all of my extensions, most of which were very popular, such as Adblock Plus and NoScript. I took to IRC to ask about it, and discovered it was not an isolated incident. It's happening to thousands, maybe millions, maybe most or all users.

Given that Mozilla sold out long ago to snowflakes and started firing developers for political ideas they didn't agree with it's not really a surprise that it's going downhill. I wonder if this is the nail in the coffin.

The moderators decided to shut down communication on the #firefox channels because they didn't like what their users had to say about it. Unfortunately, there really isn't a good option for a different browser. Maybe Chromium...

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I'm using Firefox 66.0.3. It's been a bit glitchy the past couple days, and noscript was set to disable restrictions globally for some reason, but I was able to re-enable the restrictions. Adblock Plus is working normally for me as far as I can tell.

Edit: As dumb as some of Mozilla's political decisions have been, this seems to have been an actual mistake:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

Edit 2: It finally hit my installation.

Edit 3: Automatically fixed by the time I woke up.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

To be precise, Mozilla "released" a fix, but the fix is only distributed through their "studies" feature which relies on sharing data with Mozilla about your usage and behaviors. I.e., You must let them spy on you to receive the fix currently. The workaround appears to be disabling certificate checking, which is generally not a good idea. The certificate system was put in place for a reason.

The power user community is still pretty pissed off about this. Instead of releasing the certificate in a way that allows users who respect their freedom and privacy to access it they've hidden it behind this "studies" functionality, which honestly I had no idea was even a thing until now, but somehow it is disabled (perhaps I have Debian to thank for that).

The dissenters in the community have been linking to https://paste.debian.net/1081496/.

On a side note: the chatter in #firefox gave me this very interesting discovery: https://pi-hole.net/

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I don't know what this is about, but both Google and Mozilla are companies that nobody should trust or support.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

HA! And just a day ago I received an email from Mozilla about privacy and our right to our information and that they were going to do something about Big Boys spying us.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It seems they have yet to push out a fix for users that have the studies feature disabled... I'm not sure if this is on the radar of Linux distro developers, but that might further delay a proper fix until the new certificate is something that users can easily install.. For now, it seems there is still no viable fix for me... Pretty alarming how long it is taking them to fix given that they've known what the problem was for days. Granted, it is a weekend, but you'd think enough people use and even rely on Firefox for them to call people in to get it fixed NOW without relying on their spying tech. Apparently not...

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

There is a temporary fix and they are working again. They plan a larger patch to fix the issue.

This was the first time I ever actually viewed Youtube without my ad-blocker and I had to admit, it was more annoying than I ever imagined! Facebook on the otherhand wasn't too bad with their ads. I didn't find it annoying at all and could honestly live with them. In any event, it was SO nice to have that back working again. I never realized how much I loved that until I lost it.

Plus I have a few others I have grown used to which I could live without.

My main complaint about all of this was the idea that they would arbitrarily just shut down my add-ons without my permission and not even provide a method where I could override such behaviour. I hope they address this issue in the future, I would at least like an advanced option to allow addons anyhow with perhaps a large "WARNING: YOUR COMPUTER MAY EXPLODE IF YOU USE THEM! ARE YOU SURE?!" warning... but still allow them to be used at my own risk.

I ended up using Chrome for a day which wasn't too bad, but I still can't see me using it over Firefox, I simply like Firefox too much. It's nice to have Chrome as an emergency backup and I now have it looking similar to Firefox with my bookmarks, so at least it is up to date for a while.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

66.0.4 came out with a fix BTW.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

66.0.4 came out with a fix BTW.

Oh, kewl, I just checked and that is what I have now. Nice. I didn't want to switch away from Firefox. I hope this is a lesson that won't be lost on future development and prevention of problems like this happening again.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It looks like Debian has 66.0.4 in unstable currently. So they're working on it. I don't know how long it will take them to move it forward. Probably depends on how much actually changed in the code between 66.0.3 and 66.0.4.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Ubuntu finally updated to 66.0.4 as well now. I refused to enable studies so I had extension signing checks disabled until now :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I finally switched back to Firefox today. I had updated a few days ago, but I didn't spend much time online this weekend.. It's pretty concerning to think just how reliant we are on certain technologies with little redundancy... There are several single points of failure that can quickly change our lives... We take for granted the freedom we currently have to share ideas globally, but it can literally be taken away with the flip of a switch.

Go to: