Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Recruiters (Allegro Developer job?)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Recruiters (Allegro Developer job?)
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

As any software developer with profiles on linkedin and stackoverflow, I get frequently contacted by recruiters. I'm happy with my current job (a permanent position with good benefits), so usually I just send them a brief, polite declination.

However, the other day I got a note on linkedin that peaked my interest...

Quote:

Allegro Developer role - 12 month contract

Dear Martijn,

Hope you are well?

My client in Finland requires experienced Allegro Developer for 12 month contract.
If you are interested or if you know someone who could be, please let me know and we can arrange a time to discuss further.

Many thanks & look forward to hearing from you!

Shirley

I never even knew that there were any paying Allegro jobs! What kind of company might that be? I guess they are looking for remote workers because they can't expect me to relocate to Finland just like that. Why have they picked Allegro, above more obvious choices like Unity or Unreal engine?

So I replied...

Quote:

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm not particularly looking for a new job, however, I'm very intrigued that you're looking specifically for an Allegro developer. Will the job entail allegro development? Who is this client in Finland? Please tell me more!

This was followed by a week silence...

Quote:

Hey Shirley,

I'm still curious to hear more about that Allegro Developer role that you messaged me about. Could you please tell me more?

with kind regards, Martijn

Somehow there is still life at the other end of the line...

Quote:

Hello Martijn, Are you looking for a freelancer role? The start date for this is asap.

Freelancer? Well, my current contract is 80%, so that means I technically have one day in the week that I could do this. Just out of sheer curiosity what paid allegro development would entail, you understand.

Quote:

That's possible if I can do it part-time.

Another day silence...

Quote:

Hey Shirley, I notice that you are not answering my questions. Do you have a serious offer or not?

Quote:

Hello Martijn,

My client has stated that this is a full-time role.

Well, I guess they have found a whole truck-load of experienced allegro developers ready to go then.

So what do you think this is? Which Finnish company would be big enough to be able to hire recruiters, yet small enough that they would go for something as niche as allegro? It's possible that the words "Allegro" as well as "Finland" can be found somewhere in the wake of my digital trail (I lived in Finland for about 8 months), and that they used these keywords to lure me in. But to what advantage? Is this a scam? How would the scam work?

Please discuss...

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Smells like they found those keywords and were hoping for some more details from you?

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Very mysterious. Did they definitely mean 'our' Allegro and not Allegro Common Lisp?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

Smells like they found those keywords and were hoping for some more details from you?

This is exactly what happened. Recruiters at companies are desperate to reach out to any possible good developers. It's very difficult for the industry to locate talent.

As a result, you'll get these spammy generated emails from recruiter agencies just to see if anything comes in.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

@Mark Oates, that must be it. I think they are looking for an entry level developer in some completely different domain, and are just taking a scattershot approach.

If I had replied with unreserved interest, they would have replied something like "You know what, the allegro developer job has been filled already, but we also have this other position available for you..."

But because I said that I was only interested BECAUSE of allegro, they immediately knew I was no good for them and just stopped replying altogether.

@Peter Hull
I also briefly considered that they are looking for a developer for the Allegro train company in Finland (https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/allegro-train-services)

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

amarillion you are bad at trying to get information out of people. your apporch was all wrong then you wonder why there was silence ;D.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Yes apparently so :D
But I am used to recruiters that are actually happy when you show the slightest interest.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Could also be work as an engineer. You know, driving trains.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Go to: