Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » IDE for C

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IDE for C
princeofspace
Member #11,874
April 2010

I've thought a lot over the years about a small, powerful IDE for C programmers. Yes, I know that VS and Eclipse and Code::Blocks exist, but in a disturbing modern trend, these suites have catered more to C++ developers than good ol' C.

Hypothetically, if somebody [like me] were to write a C IDE, what features would you like to see included? Code completion is important to me.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Welcome back, good sir. The basic features of a modern IDE are syntax highlighting that is bullet-proof, and smart code-completion/symbol-completion that knows what keywords or symbols are valid in a given context.

Most of all, it shouldn't get in your way while you type code. Some IDE's go too far and they slow down productive programmers by making them stumble over automatic insertions.

Some kind of build system is also desirable so that a user can easily compile/link potentially several outputs from an entire "project" is very useful. You should at least support invoking an external command such as make or cmake to do this part, but having built-in support to do it might offer a better user experience at the expense of portability. Figuring out how to use Make or CMake or other command-driven tools and still give the IDE user a first-class user experience is the ultimate wet dream.

Another very useful feature is smart jumping to declarations, definitions, or references for symbols. Being able to easily find where a particular symbol is referenced as opposed to an unrelated symbol of the same name is extremely useful when refactoring or exploring a code-base.

Having either an addon/extension API or a very extensible UI is very useful for those of us that want to overhaul the UI for something like a Vim-like modal interface. Supporting Vim and Emacs modes well out of the box would be a very strong selling point.

Compiling and marking warnings/errors while you type is lovely to have, but I'm not sure C is efficient enough to parse on-the-fly. It's not necessary, but it should be added to the wishlist. If it can be accomplished it can potentially improve productivity. Support for static analysis or linting either on the fly or on event is also extremely useful.

This is all very theoretical. I don't think you realize the amount of work that would go into building one of these. Even if you started with an open source kit like Code::Blocks and just customized it for C programmers it would still probably be months or more of work. Building one from scratch could take years.

C is a very portable system language so it still has a very strong place in this world. But the language has a lot of downfalls. Don't expect to make C "hip" again. Your target audience will be rather old for the most part, or rather elite in terms of job description. Most of them are probably hacking on free software platforms, and they'd probably want an open source, portable, development environment too.

Personally, I'd really enjoy a rich development environment that is text terminal/command-based, but that might limit the environment in some ways that ultimately hurt accessibility/productivity (but ultimately aid performance).

Make no mistake, this is a Monday project. ;)

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

In any IDE please support the good old "borland style" classic colors..
Navy blue background, Lightgrey text, green comments, yellow strings etc..

I always try to get it the first time I install a new IDE since this style is much less tiering for my eyes.

besides that:
- viewing registers
- Pointer dereference in Watch
- full string support in Watch
- fast working autocomplete
- integrated extendable context help ( C language help, extendable with help for libs) for example you type "al_create_display", press F1 and get help for that allegro function from the documentation 8-)

- VALGRIND SUPPORT ! ! !
- ToDo manager
- generate GNU makefiles !

it is friday ;D

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Can you make it so F12 does a compile, cheers.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think it should stand to reason that colors and keystrokes should be configurable. ::) Also, if you design the system to execute all functionality through a command-line then it can be easy to script macros and things (so a keystroke can do many commands in sequence). That doesn't need to be in place for a v1, but it might be worth considering from the start so you don't have to do so much refactoring later.

Something that Ariesnl is alluding to that he maybe didn't express well is that a debugger is very useful and pretty much required for a good IDE experience. But of course debuggers are extremely complicated, and just developing a GUI over existing functionality will be hard enough. You may want to try to build an interface between your GUI and something like GDB so the actual debugger is robust and maintained by a large team of pros instead of you. :)

princeofspace
Member #11,874
April 2010

Longtime Allegro users will probably remember RHIDE back when Allegro was pretty much a DJGPP/DOS thing. I've thought that modern IDE's could learn a lot from RHIDE because it felt so lightweight.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. One other thing I'd throw into the ring is to disable clipboard usage. NO copy and paste, write your own code in reusable functions.

Don't worry. I love Mondays.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Copy and paste is still useful if you need to reorganize your code and move it around. But I think that a really neat feature for a static analyzer would be to identify patterns in code and offer suggestions to centralize them.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I've used a static code analyzer that did something along those lines (detected large amounts of re-used code) called SonarQube.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm curious, what do you find lacking for C that C++ IDE's don't provide? Code::Blocks has code completion for C symbols as well as C++. I've never had a problem with the syntax highlighting. I don't really know what else I would want out of an IDE except for what CB already provides. VS sucks. Vim sucks. Most things that aren't CB suck.

princeofspace
Member #11,874
April 2010

CB isn't too bad, but the Code Completion extension needs to be rewritten. One of the key problems is that it doesn't seem to understand file context. If a symbol is declared as file-level static in file foo.c, CB will add it to the list of code completion symbols in bar.c. For functions, this is a big deal, because small 'helper' leaf functions that exist only in one file should stay encapsulated in that file.

One nice feature of QT Creator is that if you press '.' when accessing a member of pointer to a struct, it will automatically replace it with '->' thereby avoiding an obvious compile-time error.

Most C++ IDE's will automatically default to creating a file with the cpp extension, leaving you to rename the file to foo.c at creation, or, most egregiously, after the file has been created. If the later is done, it fires off the symbol scanner in the IDE again, and unnecessarily, because none of the symbols have really changed, but the IDE needs to know what symbols exist in what file.

In C++, structs are really classes with public members by default. In C, classes don't exist, and structs are really for data unless you use a lot of function pointers, in which case you should be writing in C++. Code completion in many C++ IDE's wants to treat structs as classes, which can lead to subtle bugs if you let the IDE have its way.

One slight difference between structs and classes: in C, I prefer to not to typedef my structs. Classes in C++ (and therefore structs) don't require typedefs. If an IDE is going to recommend a struct symbol, it had better add the word 'struct' to the front, unless it has been declared with a typedef.

These are just off the top of my head. I don't hate Visual Studio, or Code::Blocks, or Vim. I actually love neovim, for what it is, it's great. They're all usable tools, but they all have flaws.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Well, I can think of an anti-feature. You know when you type ( it automatically adds )? That really bothers me, because I'm either going to have to type it anyway and then delete the one they put in, or I'm going to have to arrow key past it to add a semicolon.

Brace completion is the hardest 'feature' to get right. Given different styles like K&R C, and C++ style and others.

princeofspace
Member #11,874
April 2010

>

You know when you type ( it automatically adds )?

YES. Thank you. I HATE that.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I concur. I can and do type and balance braces (and all other code punctuation) myself faster than the IDE can. Often when it types it for you then you end up with additional punctuation that you have to trip over. Any IDE that does this should be taken out behind the barn. The "smart" ones can detect when you type your own matching brace and virtually step over it as if it wasn't there before. When this can be done it's not terrible, but I'd still rather just turn it off (and I do). IMO, any programmer should be capable of typing his language of choice without issue... But perhaps I'm biased to my own abilities. In any case, one thing that I hate about Visual Studio is that it really muddies the waters in terms of disabling code completion and formatting...

Anyway, Vim is actually awesome because it empowers the keyboard user to efficiently edit code or text without reaching for a mouse and without wasting keystrokes. You're welcome to dislike it if you like, but odds are you just haven't learned to use it properly (or maybe, it just doesn't suit your learning/thinking style). In any case, I assure you, Vim does work quite well. YouTube has plenty of well made videos documenting its strengths for the open minded.

Any IDE should have smart code completion in 2018/2019, I agree. It's not enough for an IDE to just create a list of symbols and suggest matching ones. They had better be context sensitive so that invalid symbols are not suggested when you're typing. Visual Studio's "intellisense" has gotten smart enough that I tend to rely on it for work stuff because it's usually right and because .NET symbols tend to get pretty lengthy at times it can save a lot of keystrokes. But there's just too many symbols in a strong language/platform for all symbols to be suggested without context...

princeofspace
Member #11,874
April 2010

So, most IDE's are made for programmers, by programmers. All of these are fairly obvious issues that most of the users [programmers] would like to see fixed. IDE's are written by the people [programmers] who know how to fix them.

But the list of issues could go on. Weird bracketing, for instance, is common to all the code completion extensions I've ever used.

The search for the ever elusive perfect IDE continues... Unless I ever get around to making one. But Bams is right. This is not a small project.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

ZoriaRPG
Member #16,714
July 2017

Multi-compiler integration, for cross-platform use.
It should work with gcc, g++, and MinGW versions thereof, plus MinGw, Cygwin, and similar on WIndows (plus MinGW on Linux) and gcc on OSX.

Easy to set and comprehend compiler flags.

Some form of makefile integration.

A source-aware debugger is critical.

The actual text editor, I'd like to be as lightweight as possible. (I'd suggest looking at Scintilla, which is what I use for almost everything.)

Declaration lookups. It's nice to be able to highlight an identifier, and determine where it originates, across files.

One of the key problems is that it doesn't seem to understand file context. If a symbol is declared as file-level static in file foo.c, CB will add it to the list of code completion symbols in bar.c. For functions, this is a big deal, because small 'helper' leaf functions that exist only in one file should stay encapsulated in that file.

That depends on the size of the codebase. I wouldn't mind having a setting to toggle that at times. I haven't seen anything that can read symbols in includes, and actually use them in that file without using a full global symbols map.

Toggling the global symbols map on a per-file basis, or mapping included symbols in scope with files that have those includes, would be a nice touch.

I honestly detest most IDEs as raw code editors, because they often become too bulky--and slow!!--to be useful and efficient.

Go to: