Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Christmas Hack? New Year Hack? Allegro Hack? Doc / Wiki Hack?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Christmas Hack? New Year Hack? Allegro Hack? Doc / Wiki Hack?
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Sure, I'm up for a *Hack.

How do you feel about doing something similar to Krampushack 2016: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/616642

A freestyle secret santa, where you can make a new game or improve an existing game, in both cases as a gift for somebody.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Well, for Krampushack, everybody had to post a wishlist of three things they would like in their gift. This wishlist could be genre, art or tech requirements.

I could add some code to the TINS site to draw the names for secret santa, so that would be handled independently. You should submit the games to the TINS site, the site will then make sure that your secret santa will receive the game first.

Dec 17-31 works for me.

We just need participants... who wants to join?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm working on molto (ala Molto Allegro). My D wrapper for Dallegro which is a wrapper for allegro in D which is a wrapper around OpenGL on Linux...

On the otherhand, my syntax is awesome:

draw(text("hello world"), tint(255,0,0), pos(25,25));
draw(bitmap(bmp_sprite1), pos(25,25), tint(255,255,0)); 
draw(bitmap(bmp_sprite1), pos(25,25), tint(255,255,0), flip(vertical), rotate(pi));

- order of arguments doesn't matter

- optional arguments (in any order, as opposed to on the end like in C/C++/traditional D)

- ALL COMPILE TIME that compiles down to the correct al_draw_bitmap or al_draw_textprintf, etc

- Very easily extensible.

- Doesn't explode the number of unique functions (al_draw_tinted_scaled_rotated_bitmap) with additional features,

- so you can add less used ones like "centered" vs top-left-aligned without quadratically adding more function signatures.

- CLEARLY labeled, and grouped arguments. "pos" is a position. No matter what argument you specify or what line it is. It's like the pleasure of a dynamic language like Javascript but it compiles to nothing.

- Whereever I can, I use the signature of the API itself to be a clue as to the correct way to use the functions.

- Ever use a draw function without initializing the pre-requisite allegro_init function? You can't. You simply cannot. Because you can't call a function (method!) without creating a gfx object, and the object cannot exist unless you call it with a constructor that implies the correct pre-requesites as its required arguments.

- For example, in Allegro 5, a timer cannot be used without being attached to queue. So in Molto, a timer cannot be constructed without providing a queue. The linkage is now obvious. The API is documentation.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

If there was any doubt - I'm in.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm in like Flynn.
{"name":"nov2016_thumb.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/6\/26c77f49225842f59a93e996084aefaf.jpg","w":490,"h":490,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/6\/26c77f49225842f59a93e996084aefaf"}nov2016_thumb.jpg

amarillion, would it be hard to make the sign up page? Have everyone add their wish list to join or something.

Go to: