Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » KrampusHack 2016

Credits go to amarillion, Elias, Eric Johnson, and SiegeLord for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
KrampusHack 2016
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

All assignments have been sent to all who joined this event. Our list got up to 10! KrampusHack is officially underway!

:D

The Details:
Hello, I am your KrampusHack commissioner. Feel free to ask me any questions in the form of a private message. At the end, you will send your game to me and I will pass it along to your recipient.

Participants:

• Mark Oates

• Edgar Reynaldo

• Eric Johnson

• Elias

• Amarillon

• SiegeLord

• Vanneto

• m c

• Takaaki Furukawa

• Derezo

Title: KrampusHack

SantaHack is a little better planned and structured. The concept here is same (to gift a game), but the definition of this event has come almost entirely from sheer spontaneity. As such, this event is SantaHack's cousin, KrampusHack.

Late Registration:

Anyone can join at any time and will register by PM'ing me directly. You may or may not receive a gift and the gift you make will be delivered to someone randomly in the group of official participants above.

Due Date:

You have to have your game turned in to me (via PM) by 2:00pm Central Standard Time on Saturday, December 24th. I will send the games out shortly after through PM. Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug too!

Your assignment:
Try to use allegro, but if struggling, use whatever you want. Make a game! I will provide any information I can on your assigned person as discussed from this thread. Personalizing your game for the receiver is also recommended but not required.

Keep your game gift a secret! Play it and spend some time to write a thoughtful review. Send the review back to the secret santa (via me, if your secret santa never revealed their identity). Try to do so before January 1, 2017. On January 1, 2017, everyone please post your game on the allegro.cc Depot!

The original thread: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/616631/3

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

🎉

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I thought GullRaDriel was participating too....

EDIT

I made an avatar pack that you can plug into your game to use anyone's avatar from the competition.

Zip file contains

data/

Each avatarpack contains all 10 participants, plus GullRaDriel, MiguelFire, and Onewing in case they participate. There are 160x160, 64x64, and 32x32 png icons for everyone, and the 32x32 come in grayscale too. Read the header file. All you have to do is call PopulateAvatars after initializing allegro and the image addon and then GetAvatar.

Hope this helps!

Btw, I officially read the title of this thread as CrampsHack 2016. Avoid them if you can!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Great work, Edgar! :D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I won't have time to code, so I'm not in.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

me right now:

{"name":"610677","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/dff249925570732e4f7cde52f987f22c.gif","w":350,"h":200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/dff249925570732e4f7cde52f987f22c"}610677

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

With midnight rapidly approaching, I'd say day one is just about finished. I had work to do in the afternoon and early evening, so I didn't get as much done as I'd liked to, but I got a basic engine up and running. I also started working on some music--a first for me. It'll no doubt be pretty bad, but it's fun exploring new territory! I think I'll post a progress update at the end of each day, but of course I'll keep it vague so as to not spoil any surprises. ;) It'd be cool to see others do the same. 8-)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I spent the Friday evening coming up with ideas. Not sure how to include all the avatars yet, but at least I have a somewhat Christmassy theme. Without really revealing anything, you play one of the holy three kings who rides on an elephant :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I think it's going to be really hard to conceal my identity as the Secret Santa of my game. :P Just stylistically, the way I write my code should be enough to give it away.

Plus, I really wanna share screenshots and progress :-X

--

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Sounds interesting, Elias! :) I have to ask though, what's with you an elephants? :P

Mark, you could snap some progress pictures and notes and release them en masse after the event. That'd be fun to see!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's still the 17 of december here. Count me in.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I won't have time to code, so I'm not in.

Tell me about it. While our main bar is still waiting for licences to reopen I'm not currently working 70-80 hour weeks any more, but it is still that time of the year, so even the quiet venue I've been "vacationing" at (I've being doing around 35-40 hours, but it still feels like being on holiday) is a lot busier than normal right now. On top of that, my lungs are at about 60% capacity due to pleurisy, so any time I'm not working, I'm trying to lie down as still as possible to conserve oxygen.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Oh, I forgot the identity should be a secret to the person playing the game. Hm. I could just change the elephant into a camel. Given my artistic capabilities all it means is changing the size of the ears :)

I have to ask though, what's with you an elephants?

The first time I participated in an allegro "hack" a very long time ago I randomly made an elephant the main character... so that's just what I want to do every time ever since :)

--

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Elias said:

so that's just what I want to do every time ever since :)

If it works, stick to it, I suppose! :D

By the way, I checked out your Web site. You've made dozens of neat games. I especially like the art style of Allefant5. What software did you use to model everything?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

GullRaDriel has officially joined the event. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Vague update: still struggling with art (not my strong suit), but I think I've solidified what I want the gameplay to be like. We'll see how it pans out...

In the meantime, keep an eye on the KrampusHack countdown timer! You don't want to be late! (I think I got the timezone right for the timer, not totally sure though...)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias, your artistic style is recognisable from miles away :)

Kidding aside, I'm also struggling with the realisation that it's going to be hard to keep the secret

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I have a main loop!

It has been some time since I used allegro (and C++). I hope this pans out... I'm still conceptualizing the majority of my entry. :-/

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

What software did you use to model everything?

Blender

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Wait, how do people not see Gull's avatar?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

This is what I see for GullRaDriel. :

{"name":"610679","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/446c1f4188c706a46b16b18c35b2e43d.png","w":725,"h":290,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/446c1f4188c706a46b16b18c35b2e43d"}610679

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Here's what I see for GullRaDriel (see attached).

Edit
Daily progress log: designed a few more tiles. I actually like the "art" I made, which is a first. Also wrote some code for a map and camera. Things are shaping up! 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Now I remember. I hated that cat so I blocked his avatar with custom CSS. I'll add it back into the avatar pack.

In other news, I almost have a selection screen.

Goin fast and furious!!!
{"name":"610681","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e618c4e7fd04a7a4d41d2c03e2ed3811.gif","w":490,"h":294,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e618c4e7fd04a7a4d41d2c03e2ed3811"}610681

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Elias said:

Oh, I forgot the identity should be a secret to the person playing the game.

Typically it's only a secret until you receive it. I don't think it's necessary for it to be a secret who it's from once you receive it. You just aren't supposed to discuss who you're "buying" for prior to the gift exchange.

Go to: