Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Text input using allegro 5

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Text input using allegro 5
NiteHackr
Member #2,229
April 2002

My apologies. But it does need to be stated that modern C is not that way anymore or you could send a false impression to someone.

Both C and C++ have changed quite a bit since the '90s, and for the better.

I always say, use what you are the most comfortable with. Give both a try and see which you prefer.

Scooter
Member #16,799
January 2018

Good morning Edgar:
I got your 'input.c' program to compile. A super program indeed.
It works perfectly! This will help a lot of folks having problems
working with the keyboard. I know it took a great deal of time to put
it together, and for that, I say THANKS!
Something you might want to take a look at: Code:Blocks issues a
Warning on line 19. Evidently it means nothing because the program
runs fine. Here's the code in question:

void AssertHandler(const char* expr , const char* file , int line , const char* func) {
int i = 0;

printf("%s failed in file %s on line %d in function %s\n" , expr , file , line , func);

i /= 0;
return;
}

NiteHackr
Member #2,229
April 2002

i /= 0; ??? You should get a warning about this one, you're trying to divide by zero?

I don't even see why int i = 0; is in there. It sets i to zero, then later tries to divide it by zero then return. i is not used.

Just remove it entirely.

void AssertHandler(const char* expr , const char* file , int line , const char* func)
{
   printf("%s failed in file %s on line %d in function %s\n" , expr , file , line , func);
}

...that should work just fine. No need for the i variable, the divide by zero or even the return statement as it is a void function.

Edgar Reynaldo
Member #8,592
May 2007

Neil, it's intentional. The divide by zero is on purpose, because it allows the debugger to catch the exception. This allows you to get a backtrace when the program fails an ALLEGRO_ASSERT. Otherwise the program exits and you can only see where the assert failed, not the stack when it does.

So keep the divide by zero, it's on purpose.

NiteHackr
Member #2,229
April 2002

Neil, it's intentional. The divide by zero is on purpose, because it allows the debugger to catch the exception.

Ah, okay, I had a feeling that might have been it. That's an interesting trick.

1   2   3 

Go to: