Member #358
May 2000

Sounds nice!

• History Repeats

• Always faster

• Gravity

• WildWest / WestWorld

I don't really have any ideas though...

Also, I'm entrant #356 - I think that's a bit too much for me, I'll wait for something smaller like TINS I think :D

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wild West version of Robot Unicorn Attack using chiptunes. :P

Opennnn yourrrr eeyyeeessssss

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's rather sad to see that hardly any of the submissions so far are actually sticking to the palette requirements.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Really? What's the point if you're not going to actually do it CGA...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

It's rather sad to see that hardly any of the submissions so far are actually sticking to the palette requirements.

What are you talking about? "CGA" stands for "cyan/grape artwork!" These are all great examples of CGA.

I found one entry that actually seems to restrict its palette to 4 colors. It was not the one I expected. :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

All the screenshots I saw actually look CGA color. Not resolution, but color.

Here's my CGA submission:

{"name":"1k03_16c_cga_ansi_from_hell.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a3cb4243d888eedd787f169351cd25ec.png","w":680,"h":314,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/3\/a3cb4243d888eedd787f169351cd25ec"}1k03_16c_cga_ansi_from_hell.png

;D

-----sig:

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

It's more a 4-color jam, doesn't have much to do with CGA otherwise :) (CGA had 16-color modes like in Chris' screenshot and with tricks even 1024 colors)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anyone remember Megazeux? (a ZZT spiritual successor.)

Here's what a normal level looks like:

{"name":"megazeux-02.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4bc58084bdf5e9680a01ec12f40f54f6.jpg","w":300,"h":164,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4bc58084bdf5e9680a01ec12f40f54f6"}megazeux-02.jpg

EGA. 16 colors. TEXT MODE. But, you can hack the BIOS fonts to make custom text characters. It's a REALLY FUN mode to work in because it's like programming for console... in DOS. You've got 256 characters and changing any of the characters on-the-fly changes ALL of them on the screen (just like palette rotation).

Now, here's what some insane people did with it:

{"name":"320px-And.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e9e2fbec0f4787576e8ed8441ae20fe5.png","w":320,"h":175,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e9e2fbec0f4787576e8ed8441ae20fe5"}320px-And.png

Wolfenstein-esk, with way more colors than you'd expect from EGA. (Caveat: IIRC, later modes allowed VGA colors I think, which was 12-bits of colors to choose from for your 16 colors of lookup.) But it's still TEXT MODE where each tile had a background and foreground color to choose from.

Scrolling through MSX screenshots is a tribute to creativity.

-----sig:

Go to: