Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » al_destroy_sample crash

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
al_destroy_sample crash
Trenchman
Member #11,670
February 2010

I'm having an issue when I try to destroy an audio sample. I create and load the sample in a class. It plays just fine, but for some reason the program crashes when the destructor tries to destroy the sample.

Here's how my code is generally setup.

#SelectExpand
1Class Player{ 2public: 3 player(){ 4 image1 = al_load_image("Assets/Image1.png"); 5 image2 = al_load_image("Assets/Image2.png"); 6 if(!image1){ 7 Error handling code 8 } 9 if(!image2){ 10 Error handling code 11 } 12 13 audio_fireball = al_load_sample("Assets/fireball.ogg"); 14 if(!audio_fireball){ 15 Error handling code 16 } 17 } 18 19 ~player(){ 20 al_destroy_bitmap(image1); 21 al_destroy_bitmap(image2); 22 std::cout << "Destroyed Images" << std::endl; //just used to test the error 23 24 al_destroy_sample(audio_fireball); 25 std::cout << "Destroyed Sample" << std::endl; //Also to test error 26 } 27 28private: 29 30 ALLEGRO_BITMAP *image1 = NULL; 31 ALLEGRO_BITMAP *image2 = NULL; 32 33 ALLEGRO_SAMPLE *audio_fireball = NULL; 34 35}

The cout after destroying the bitmaps displays, but the cout after the sample doesn't. I also did a al_is_audio_installed check right before trying to destroy the sample and it returned true.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

What do you mean with "crash"? Does it return an error message? Did you try to debug it (i.e. GDB)?

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Does your Player class happen to be instantiated as a global?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Polybios said:

Does your Player class happen to be instantiated as a global?

To add to that. If it is, it'll attempt to call Allegro functions... before Allegro is initialized = boom.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Yeah, that's true. I probably should have said "could have something to do with order of destruction".

Trenchman
Member #11,670
February 2010

I suppose I should also mention I'm using allegro 5.0.10 on a windows PC and building with Code:Blocks and MinGW.

It gives me an error window, and returns -1073741819.

I create the instance inside the main function after all of the Allegro initialization is finished. Everything seems to work fine, and destroying the images I've loaded works fine. Just when I try to destroy the sample it crashes.

Edit:
Well, I'm an idiot. For some reason I put al_uninstall_audio right before the end of main and didn't think I did. I used al_is_audio_installed to make sure it was still installed immediately before destroying the samples and it returned true. But, I think it may return true even if it isn't currently installed, as long as it was successfully installed earlier in the program. Sorry guys.

Go to: