Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Attention: Secret agents need to update Notepad++

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Attention: Secret agents need to update Notepad++
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

While it doesn't say much, I found it funny that the list of operating systems was limited to Windows. :P Either this document is incomplete, or the project is heavily targeted at specific kinds of targets, or they just don't have exploits for BSD, Linux, and Mac. We know at least that they can hack "100%" of Apple mobile devices though so I suppose it's wishful thinking that Linux isn't on their list somehow.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I have a text file with all my passwords, e-mails, repositories accounts and other important information and I always open this file with Notepad++ :-X

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I have a text file with all my passwords, e-mails, repositories accounts and other important information and I always open this file with Notepad++ :-X

I use a piece of paper in notepad (a real notepad). Lets see them hack that! ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I guess I'm not at that age where I need to do that yet, and even so I'd probably try to find a password manager tool that I trusted first, but if I ever did decide to keep a master file with passwords or sensitive information in it the very least I'd do is encrypt the file so it never touched the disk in plain-text form. :-/

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Nice try NSA. ;) I'm not listing where I store passwords but it sure as hell ain't "in the cloud." I've always been suspicious of these organizations. They could literally be run by Russia or China and you'd have no idea.

While I doubt my passwords are unhackable, I'm not going to go out of my way to make it EASIER for a nation-state to get them either. :P

Also, after last year where NO FEWER THAN SIX BUSINESSES LEAKED MY INFO, I decided to use a unique, 64-character password generated by piping /dev/random into an SHA-512 cipher. I was @!#%!in' pissed. I'm still waiting for Congress to pull their heads out of their asses so we can SUE companies who lose our data.

If our personal data is worth MONEY to be sold to advertisers, then it SURE AS HELL represents a calculable financial loss. If I download a movie I didn't pay for, I get fined or jailed. If a company gives away MY CONTENT (along with a BILLION OTHER USERS in Yahoo's case) without my permission, why the hell are they still a company? Why haven't the FBI et al stormed the building and took over?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I find it bizarre that you consider "Russia" or "China" the enemy, and somehow your own government (or it's many heads) isn't a threat?

As for why corporations aren't shut down when they expose your information, I'm sure you already know that the system isn't designed to be fair. The system is designed to exploit the people for the gains of the wealthy. There was never any expectation of fair play defined. It isn't going to work that way. Ever. The USA is not the nation that everybody is taught that it is. And I don't know of any nation that works that way. Anarchy would be the closest thing, and that too would not be fair, but at least there would be no deception about who is getting fucked and why.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I wrote my own password manager.

It's not fancy but it works. All my passwords are 12-24 characters (depending on site max length) of random data piped to base64.

I only remember a few passwords: my disk encryption password for my primary desktop and laptop, the password I use for backups, and the password I use for my password manager. The rest are unknown to me and managed completely by the password manager.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

What about your e-mail password? If you ever lose your passwords for everything else, you need access to your e-mail to reset all those passwords.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

My email password is stored in my password manager.

The only way to lose my password manager would be for all my backup plans to fail at the same time. This would mean 1) The contents of my safety deposit box were destroyed 2) My home was robbed and the thieves stole my backup media, or the contents of my home were lost in some accident like fire 3) The hosting providers have lost my data.

It's more likely I get amnesia from tripping over my chihuahua and hitting my head. What do you think? :)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

So why not also memorise your e-mail password?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

I find it bizarre that you consider "Russia" or "China" the enemy, and somehow your own government (or it's many heads) isn't a threat?

When have I ever in my 10+ years of here, defended the CIA/NSA/FBI?

That being said, there are LAWS that protect me from my own government. There is nothing to stop Russia from hacking my computer, or straight up assassinating me.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

So why not also memorise your e-mail password?

But why, when it's also stored in my password manager?

My password manager is a file I store in various locations, on site (i.e., at home) and off site (e.g., online and at my bank). It has my email passwords in it. I don't get why I'd have to memorize my email passwords if I can just access it via my password manager.

Also, more generally: Russia is bad but so is the United States is classic Whataboutism. Falling for Soviet-era propaganda tactics are we? :)

---
they / she

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Had Britain allied with Russia near the start of WW2, a lot of lives could have been saved. Eventually they allied with them to defeat Germany. Also, China was the victim of Japanese aggression during WW2 and everyone suffered because of Germany.

So who do we ally with? Japan and Germany and consider China and Russia the enemy. Stupidity at it's finest!

---

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yeah, because the countries haven't changed since then, and I can now accuse you of calling my German girlfriend a Nazi ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That being said, there are LAWS that protect me from my own government. There is nothing to stop Russia from hacking my computer, or straight up assassinating me.

You think your government would never break any domestic laws? ??? And also, might want to double check on those laws because I think a lot of them have been disarmed or dismantled in the last decade..

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Because the United Stated Government would never spy on or hack your computer or say... cellphone right? You realize that ALL nations on this planet, all the major ones anyhow, ALL spy on each other and their own citizens. Otherwise they might have a difficult time finding terrorists and other local threats.

I haven't heard of any Russian assassinations lately.

Yeah, because the countries haven't changed since then, and I can now accuse you of calling my German girlfriend a Nazi ;D

Nah, not all Germans were Nazi's. Not all Germans supported Hitler either, but that didn't stop him did it? My point is, Russia has never been a threat to North America. Even during the Cuban missile crisis they were not a threat as the ONLY reason they put nukes in Cuba is because the United States had placed nukes pointed at Russia in Turkey. Tit for tat. It's a common theme, the United States currently has ships in the Baltic sea near Russia and then everyone is in shock when Russia has ONE ship 3 miles off the shores of the USA.

I firmly believe that Germany will get a new leader and build it's military again. As will Japan. I don't see Russia or China as a threat, they have only ever been concerned with protecting their own interests. They may be a threat to their own people, but I don't see that as any of our business.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Note: When a country doesn't want to breach its own laws it will just ask an ally to violate its citizens' rights for it. The other nation doesn't have to play by the same rules on the record, and ultimately it's up to your government to hold them accountable or forgive them for violating your rights. If they're acting on behalf of your government obviously they're going to be forgiven. A favor for a favor. So no, your government is definitely not off of the hook simply because laws exist. They're the ones that wrote the laws, enforce them, and they'll damn well rewrite them as they see fit. To assume that you have power over them, or that they don't have power over you, is naive. It's that line of thinking that is leading us down this doomed path we're all on. Our governments have already been outed by whistleblowers and the like. It's not even a question of whether they're doing wrong. The alarming thing is that there are no consequences. Nothing ever comes of it. They just keep doing it. What the fuck.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

There's an amazing lack of comprehension of what I said. ::)

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"610835","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7a16a1b0fc72966e43c92bb55e825e3a.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7a16a1b0fc72966e43c92bb55e825e3a"}610835

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Good!!! We could use some of that against the anti-Trump people! Might save some public property from being destroyed in riots.

Also, that happened in the Ukraine, not in Russia... but... I guess it is always Putin's fault right?! ::)

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm not sure what's interesting about that shooting. Sounds like just another government covering up its secrets the only way they know how. Are we asserting that the US government has never killed somebody trying to out them? I don't think anything good would have happened to Snowden or Assange if they were caught... Perhaps the only difference here is that the guy running thought he was safe and could stop.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

. Are we asserting

No. I am asserting that the likely hood of myself dying or being hacked is far more likely to occur by China or Russia's hand, not the USA's. If you can't understand the relative risk, there's really no way to continue the discussion.

I work in IT for a living. We don't fend off hacks from the USA every day. We fend off China. And China. ... And China. ... And... China.

http://www.govtech.com/security/204318661.html

China accounts for almost more than ALL OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED. A few percentage points more and they would. That's a DAMN IMPORTANT statistic, in the same way the USA's spending on conventional warfare GDP is more than almost all other countries in the world combined... that's another (but off-topic here) IMPORTANT statistic.

If any of us were ACTUALLY afraid of the USA killing you, you wouldn't be talking so casually about it.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I find it interesting that Snowden found it safer to live the rest of his life in Russia, than remain in the USA. Very interesting. He certainly didn't feel safer in the good old US of A now did he?

And I'm not afraid of the USA, I'm in Canada.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That's a kind of silly lapse of logic. He angered the USA. So he went to a country powerful enough to "say no" to the USA. He also went to a bunch of other countries before Russia, each of which the USA tried to get him extradited from. That has nothing to do with countries killing DISSENTERS. It's a non sequitur argument.

Meanwhile, protests are going on RIGHT NOW in over 100 cities across Russia over corruption, and the assassination of the anti-putin leader.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/protesters-gather-in-100-cities-across-russia-top-putin-critic-arrested,502474

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/protesters-gather-in-100-cities-across-russia-top-putin-critic-arrested,502474

-----sig:

1   2   3 

Go to: