Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Win32 binaries for Allegro 5.2.2 and MinGW 5.3.0.3

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Win32 binaries for Allegro 5.2.2 and MinGW 5.3.0.3
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

No, that was my idea. tarring helps when you combine it with 7z. It makes for a much smaller archive than if you just 7z it straight from the beginning.

Neil,
The only difference between the 5.2.1.1 binaries and these is FreeType 2.6.5 instead of 2.7.1 in the newer version. The version of PhysFS used is the same, 2.0.3.

Can you provide a small demo program that shows what is wrong? That fails to load a ttf from an archive?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I guess the other reason is that tarballs preserve Unix permissions, but that probably doesn't apply to you. I wonder how .tar.xz compares to .tar.7z. I imagine MinGW must have xz by now... Though I guess that's chicken and egg for MinGW itself.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Can you provide a small demo program that shows what is wrong? That fails to load a ttf from an archive?

Sure, just grab your physfs example you compiled. It fails. No need for one from me. I'm done with this. My next project will use SDL2.

I won't sit here playing twenty questions when I already showed that it worked with 5.2.1, and it doesn't work with this. I have changed NONE of my code... can you understand English?! IT WORKED BEFORE... IT DOESN'T WORK NOW... the ONLY thing that has changed is the Allegro version. I even used the compiler YOU provided.

If it was MY CODE, it would NEVER have worked. Download my Deluxe Pacman 2 game in the link in my signature. That is 5.2.1, and you will see it loads the fonts and uses them no problems with physfs. 5.2.2 (5.2.3GIT) here... will not.

This exact same problem came up 3 years ago in 2014 with someone else (I provided a link to their message earlier here). And they had the same problem, same error, same divide by zero or whatever... so obviously this is nothing new.

If you REALLY need an example, it's easy, make a zip, put a TTF into it, try and load the TTF using Allegro, loading the TTF from the ZIP with this version.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Have a little patience with me Neil? :-/

I'm not in any way accusing you of it being your fault.

I'm trying to narrow down the cause so I can fix it. The allegro version is not the only thing that changed. The freetype version changed also. It could be a bug in either library. There's not much you can screw up when compiling physfs or freetype, except which libpng you (choose to) use.

I've never used physfs before. I don't know why it would be failing to find the file within the archive, but it is, or it is mangling the file when reading it. That in turn depends on zlib.

So you can see, there's quite a few things that could go wrong.

I'll try to make an example to test this, but I don't have a lot of free time right now. :/

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

If you scroll up, I have had patience. But there are no other answers I can give you. I compiled it with Allegro 5.2.1 and it works fine. I compiled it with this Allegro, and it will not load. I have had ZERO code change in my own game code as I don't work on that game anymore except to update it with newer versions of Allegro.

When I recompiled it, I recompiled it with the MinGW compiler you provided. I totally delete my old compiler folder and replace it entirely with yours. I have my libraries in a separate folder, so it wasn't corrupted somehow either.

The only libraries I use with this is Allegro. The only PNG I use is whatever comes with Allegro.

And as I already stated, the physfs example you compiled in the examples folder doesn't work. So, no need to really make something else, you already have something that fails in your example folder. That was not compiled by me at all, but it fails, so that is probably the best place to look.

My apologies but... when I get continually asked what I did wrong, or differently when I did nothing wrong, I get a little annoyed. I've told you all I can. I use the library properly, Lord knows I have enough experience with it and the problems. I am very careful to check everything and to report all errors, even where none are probable.

SOMETHING was changed between Allegro 5.2.1 and this one to do with Freetype and Phyfs. That's where I would look. Perhaps switch back to any older versions you used and recompile that physfs example with it and I would be happy to test it out. But... there's not much more I can do on my end.

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bumping the thread to give me more time to investigate this.

An older version of zlib may fix this.

EDIT
Actually, the version of zlib used in the 5.2.1.1 build was 1.2.8 where the version of zlib used in the 5.2.3 build is 1.2.11. That might be the problem.

EDIT2

Todd Cope tried it with zlib 1.2.8 and it didn't work for him either, so I think it must be Allegro somehow.

Follow my explorations of the bug here :

https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/616847

EDIT3

From a reply on the mailing list, there's a known bug in PhysFS 2.0.3 when it uses zlib 1.2.11. Objects fail to load from inside the zip file. There is a patch for it here :
PhysFS 2.0.3 patch for zlib 1.2.11

I have also attached the patch for posterity in case the download link ever goes down :
Download patch here

Neil,

I will make new binaries soon.

Edgar

EDIT4

New binaries are available. Please download the new ones with the physfs fix applied.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/unofficialallegro5distribution/files/Allegro522_MinGW5303v2.tar.7z/download

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Nice work Edgar :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

New binaries are available. Please download the new ones with the physfs fix applied.

Wow, I have to give you credit. You have far more patience than I do. ;)
I'll check that out. Thanks.

Edit: Recompiled my Deluxe Pacman 2 game with this and it now works fine. I'll probably make up some new levels for my game and then upload a newer version compiled with Allegro 5.2.3 later on today. Great work!

Edit2: The new version of my game, updated with your new version of Allegro (plus 10 new levels ;) ) is now available for download (at the link in my sig) if you're curious.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"c4e922ca818caa4dd2e2f818e4169050_aww-crying-face-awwww-awww-meme_400-400.jpeg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7e6ab006bd617595f7e65f24f3dc6954.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7e6ab006bd617595f7e65f24f3dc6954"}c4e922ca818caa4dd2e2f818e4169050_aww-crying-face-awwww-awww-meme_400-400.jpeg

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

SCRATCH THAT. It works. ;)

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"awkward-meme.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07633931745ab55bc91f1da58f41ccce.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07633931745ab55bc91f1da58f41ccce"}awkward-meme.jpg

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Okay, fixed the problem. It works. WHEW!

The problem THIS TIME was in the following line:

font_verdana = al_load_ttf_font("pak/Fonts/verdanab.ttf", 18, 0);

the path had "pak/" in there, which is the path of my folder outside the zip, I forgot to change it back to the zip (which doesn't have "pak/" in there. I had changed it while trying to figure out this problem with the last compile you did, to see if it would load outside of the ZIP but forgot to change it back with this compile.

Ah well, it was worth it just to make bamccaig feel awkward. ;D

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Fantastic work, Edgar!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"610881","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e4ac1659ca690c44f5dc7478064beb48.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e4ac1659ca690c44f5dc7478064beb48"}610881

Credit for the expression[1] goes to my fianceé. She recently commented on the magical giraffe that was recently born. I don't have social media accounts because I think it's harmful to give so much information to corporations, but I digress. I don't know much about it, other than the birth was apparently due for a ridiculous amount of time. My understanding was that the mother was in labor for weeks or months. Again, I don't care or follow this shit so I might be mistaken, but that was the impression I got from how stupid people were about it.

All that aside, my finaceé announce it to me excited when it happened. At this point, from the hype, and what I imagined was the timeline, I figured it might have been different giraffes and just a big gimmick. I told her, "It's probably a different giraffe!" She quipped back without missing a beat, "you're a different giraffe!" So now I'm trying to make it stick. 8-) Pass it on.

The image is random and not attached to the saying. Feel free to make a better one if you want to share it as a meme.

References

1. "You're a different giraffe!"
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bjorn54
Member #16,673
May 2017

Thank you very much, it all works pretty well for me. Before, I was staying with mingW 4.6.2 for so many years because other versions had bugs, so it was good to get a new version that was not crazy. I put it next to my other MingWs in the directory C:\MingWEdgar :).

Since then I rebuilt my version of HGE with the new MingW, then implemented hgeSprite (renamed bgeSprite) in Allegro. Someone had told me a long time back that Allegro would be a good option to develop HGE because of its multi-platform capability, and after looking around a bit, I agree, mostly because all of the transforms are there. So I could create an HGE-like functionality in Allegro whether or not it is a full engine.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the batch rendering/VBOs that Allegro calls deferred rendering. That is also a must for an HGE-like functionality.

Sorry for the long post and HGE and again, thank you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2 

Go to: