Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Building a skybox using orthographic transfom

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Building a skybox using orthographic transfom
bitrex
Member #16,587
November 2016

Hi again folks, I didn't had a chance to work on my Allegro project for a while, but I'm back at it.

I'm trying to construct a skybox that 3D objects can move around "in front" of by first rendering via an orthographic transform, and clearing the "depth bit." This works okay for a simple single background image if the camera isn't rotated, at least.

I'm having trouble figuring out the math for where to put the vertices using ALLEGRO_VERTEX such that the al_orothographic_transform on the set followed by al_use_projection transform makes it display correctly.

If I wish to make a box in orthographic mode and my skybox textures have widths and heights of w and h pixels respectively, with the camera located at the center, how should the coordinate math work out?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Check out the ex_camera example, it has a skybox. It uses a perspective transformation, but the principle should be the same.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bitrex
Member #16,587
November 2016

Thanks, I checked out ex_camera.c but I didn't quite understand what's going on there - it looks like they're constructing the quad out of two triangles, while I'm trying to use al_draw_prim with an ALLEGRO_PRIM_TRIANGLE_FAN argument and feeding it a set vertexes.

That is to say I have a set of six arrays of ALLEGRO_VERTEX vert[4] of the form:

#SelectExpand
1 {x1, y1, z1, bw, 0.0, {bkg}}, 2 {x2, y2, z2, bw, bh, {bkg}}, 3 {x3, y3, z3, 0.0, bh, {bkg}}, 4 {x4, y4, z4, 0.0, 0.0, {bkg}}

where bw and bh are the textures width and heights, respectively, and bkg is the ALLEGRO_COLOR for the primitive.

The I have an orthographic transform I have to feed some coordinates to:

#SelectExpand
2al_orthographic_transform(projection, -dw/2, -dh/2, something?, dw/2, dh/2, something?)

Where I guess I have to use the current window size for the dimensions, and something? for the near and far distances, relative to the camera at the center.

I'm a hardware guy by trade and still very new at this, so if either of you have a chance and could "explain it to me like I'm eight" I'd really appreciate it. 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: