Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Can anyone tell me why this isnt working? (Codeblocks/Allegro5.2)

Credits go to SiegeLord for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Can anyone tell me why this isnt working? (Codeblocks/Allegro5.2)
Remphor
Member #13,052
July 2011

Im having issues getting set up in a new environment. I am switching from MSVC to Code::Blocks and im having trouble compiling.

#SelectExpand
1mingw32-g++.exe -LC:\allegro\lib -LC:\allegro\allegro_deps\lib -LC:\MinGW\lib -o "bin\Release\Allegro5 Template.exe" obj\Release\Code\entry.o -s -lallegro-static -lallegro_main-static -lallegro_image-static -lallegro_dialog-static -lallegro_font-static -lallegro_memfile-static -lallegro_physfs-static -lallegro_primitives-static -lallegro_ttf-static -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -ldumb -lFLAC -lfreetype -logg -lzlib -lgdiplus -luuid -lkernel32 -lwinmm -lpsapi -lopengl32 -lglu32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lgdi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lws2_32 2obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x1e): undefined reference to `al_install_system' 3obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x23): undefined reference to `al_install_keyboard' 4obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x2f): undefined reference to `al_set_new_display_flags' 5obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x43): undefined reference to `al_create_display' 6collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ive got all of the compiler variables set up properly. I also have ALLEGRO_STATICLINK in the #define section of the options. It seems like its just not properly linking my libraries. I am also on Windows 8.1

[Edit]
Here is a generated file of the full output.

#SelectExpand
2-------------- Build: Release in Allegro5 Template (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)--------------- 3mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -O2 -DALLEGRO_STATICLINK -IC:\allegro\include -IC:\allegro_deps\include -c "C:\Documents\CodeBlocks\Allegro5 Template\Code\entry.cpp" -o obj\Release\Code\entry.o 4mingw32-g++.exe -LC:\allegro\lib -LC:\allegro\allegro_deps\lib -LC:\MinGW\lib -o "bin\Release\Allegro5 Template.exe" obj\Release\Code\entry.o -s -lallegro-static -lallegro_main-static -lallegro_image-static -lallegro_acodec-static -lallegro_audio-static -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -lallegro_font-static -lallegro_ttf-static -lallegro_dialog-static -lallegro_memfile-static -lallegro_physfs-static -lallegro_primitives-static -ldumb -lFLAC -lfreetype -logg -lzlib -lgdiplus -luuid -lkernel32 -lwinmm -lpsapi -lopengl32 -lglu32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lgdi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lws2_32 -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ 5obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x1e): undefined reference to "al_install_system' 6obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x23): undefined reference to "al_install_keyboard' 7obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x2f): undefined reference to "al_set_new_display_flags' 8obj\Release\Code\entry.o:entry.cpp:(.text.startup+0x43): undefined reference to "al_create_display' 9collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status 10Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 1 second(s)) 115 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 1 second(s))

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Are you matching the architectures of the binaries with your compilers (32 vs 64 bits)? I seem to recall experiencing gcc silently ignoring incompatible binaries.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Remphor
Member #13,052
July 2011

I had the architectures right but the version of the compiler was wrong.
Ive made slight progress only to find that the correct version is also wrong? Im kind of new to using mingw so im sorry if this seems stupid :p
Is there a difference in the mingw-w64 6.2.0 vs the mingw 6.2.0?

#SelectExpand
1-------------- Build: Release in Allegro5 Template (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)--------------- 2 3g++.exe -Wall -O2 -DALLEGRO_STATICLINK -IC:\allegro\include -IC:\allegro_deps\include -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include" -c "C:\Users\Eponick\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\CodeBlocks\Allegro5 Template\Code\entry.cpp" -o obj\Release\Code\entry.o 4g++.exe -LC:\allegro\lib -LC:\allegro\allegro_deps\lib -LC:\MinGW\lib -L"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x64" -o "bin\Release\Allegro5 Template.exe" obj\Release\Code\entry.o -s -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lallegro_monolith-static -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -ldumb -lFLAC -lfreetype -logg -lzlib -lgdiplus -luuid -lkernel32 -lwinmm -lpsapi -lopengl32 -lglu32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lgdi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lws2_32 -lshlwapi 5C:\allegro\lib/liballegro_monolith-static.a(d3d_display_formats.cpp.obj): In function `_al_d3d_generate_display_format_list': 6C:/dev/allegro_winpkg/universal/allegro/src/win/d3d_display_formats.cpp:49: undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume' 7C:/dev/allegro_winpkg/universal/allegro/src/win/d3d_display_formats.cpp:50: undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume' 8C:\allegro\lib/liballegro_monolith-static.a(d3d_display_formats.cpp.obj):d3d_display_formats.cpp:(.data+0x58): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_seh0' 9C:\allegro\lib/liballegro_monolith-static.a(d3d_display_formats.cpp.obj):d3d_display_formats.cpp:(.xdata+0x2c): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_seh0' 10collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status 11Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 2 second(s)) 125 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 2 second(s))

*Edit*
Im in the process of compiling al5.2.2 myself with mingw 6.3.0.
Would people be interested in the binaries or not worth the upload?

Hopefully this fixes my problems.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

There might be a difference with how exception handling is done (that's what those two symbols refer to).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Remphor
Member #13,052
July 2011

The issue was the installation of mingw as I had suspected. Turns out to use the pre-built binaries you need MingW-W64 with x86_64 architecture, posix threads, and seh exception handling. Works fine now :)

Thanks for your help!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Could you tell which exact files you've used to get it working? I'm struggling with all of this. I'd like to have it running on my 64 bit machine. Is it so that if the newest Allegro binaries are in allegro-mingw-gcc6.2.0-x64-static-5.2.2.zip, I must use Mingw 6.2.0 and not Mingw 6.3.0 which is the newest one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Go to: