Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Years Resolutions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
New Years Resolutions
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"9PqAvl9.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/2\/a2242073b00e14b193e0917783bd3420.jpg","w":5312,"h":2988,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/2\/a2242073b00e14b193e0917783bd3420"}9PqAvl9.jpg

4K. 55". 3 feet from my face.

I've died and gone to heaven.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Chris wins this.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't know about that... TV's tend to be poor up close. That resolution is spread out over a larger space. In the case of a 55" display it's spread out over a much larger space! Look at the comparisons here: https://www.noteloop.com/kit/display/pixel-density/. A 4K display at 55" has a pixel density of 80.11. Whereas a 1920x1080 display at 23" has a pixel density of 95.78. Everything on the TV would be slightly more fuzzy. I think that there's a balance to be had somewhere in the middle. Maximizing your pixel density while finding the right balance for screen size. I don't know that I could effectively use 55" 3 feet from my face. I imagine it would require a lot more eye and head movement. Still cool that you have one. My TV is a 40" 1080p Samsung from like 10 years ago (and it's low on the list of upgrades). :D

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

Whereas a 1920x1080 display at 23" has a pixel density of 95.78.

That's the point though. Exact same DPI as my old monitor, except 4 times the screen space.

It's kind of a PITA to get used to though. I use Windows keys to go left half, right half of the screen. But in 4K, you really want quarter (or less!) sized windows. I use a tool called GridMove which lets me bind Middle Click drag to drop into "grids", which happen to be quarter screens... 1080p each.

Still, when I need to do reading, I end up putting it to ~1920 wide but full height. But then I have to manually put the window in the middle of the screen.

So... I'm still debating whether it's really worth it to develop on. I really like normal 1080p dual-monitor setup. I'm really efficient with RDP/VM on one screen, windows on the other.

But gaming is super fun on that 4K monitor. Even if you were to play 4-player splitscreen, each player would get 1080p.

But for normal computer use... it is kind of "too big." Movies feel amazing. Jungle Book in 4K actually... actually FELT 3-D in certain scenes. It blew my and my wife's minds when it happened. Mountains and tall buildings actually start feeling 3-D in certain scenes. (LG has patented a process for their 11K screen that says 3-D is built-in with no need for glasses or anything at that resolution.)

I've been wanting to try 4K for a long time but never could afford it. I just so happened to get a bonus (first time since I got hired) and it all went into the TV. Otherwise, there's no way I'd be able to afford it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that the inherent flaw of split screen has always been that the other screens are either distracting or "ghosting" (or both). I do have fond memories of playing Siphon Filter 2 against my brother on PlayStation, but then again I almost always won so I doubt he has such fond memories. In any case, split screen is inherently flawed. The size of the screen was certainly an issue, and in particular the ratio of the split, but not the only issue.

In any case, I'm not a multi-window kind of person. I prefer to manage screenfuls of data instead most of the time. I maximize all of windows. Have for a decade. In rare instances I'll take advantage of left and right stick to split the screen for a particular task, but I never multitask that way. I do multitask in a tmux session with split panes, but that's somewhat different since I can navigate between them with the keyboard and rarely need to anyway.

I think there is some future to tiled window managers. I haven't gotten hugely into them, though I did spend probably a year or two using xmonad and loved it. I mainly left it for Steam/game compatibility. It makes a lot of sense to me for windows to be tiled. That said, the management of them still becomes a bit of a bother. I'm especially attracted to UI's that are optimized for keyboard usage.

In any case, 4K at 22" is much more detailed than 4K at 55". That's the point that I was trying to make. It's actually pretty close to the desktop resolutions that we're used to a few years back so I'm sure you can make do. I don't think it necessarily is ideal, particularly when you are so close or start to divide the screen into parts. I'm sure that's an awesome TV from 10 or 20 feet away, but from 3 feet away I'm sure it's a painful monitor.

But to each his own. I'm sure you love it and that's all that matters.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Isn't the new thing in 2017 to strap your phone directly in front of your eyes anyway, instead of using a screen?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

3x1080p.

{"name":"610745","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/e\/2ed3254d2485504dd6810996eea0d320.png","w":5760,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/e\/2ed3254d2485504dd6810996eea0d320"}610745

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

1920x1080@144hz, I suppose that's a little bit fancy.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

@Chris Katko

I think the real problem is that you are 3 feet away. For some games it will be almost impossible to take in all that screen information quickly enough to be efficient. I know this because my screen is a sony projector

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I used to use a projector. It was awesome having a ~120" screen (though only 720p). It sucked having to always use it in a dark room (or wait till night) to watch movies or play games though.

Currently,

- When I play games that need full screen, like a 2-D game, I sit back further. Age of Empires 2 in 4K is like... insanely impossible to use the small buttons and the viewing area... you NEED to be able to see the entire screen at once.

- But for a 3-D game, where you can increase the FOV, I crank it to around 120 (the max) in Chivalry. The screen "wraps" around your vision and just feels like you're surrounded by a screen.

I've done the same thing with my older 40" 1080p screen for games. It was fun but the low DPI could get really bad because too close and you really saw the "shutter effect" of black lines inbetween the pixels.

4K has really shown me how important DPI independent GUI's are going to be as we move forward. So I really want to have my future games work on a, say, 20" 1080p, 23" 4K (double DPI), and 55" 4K screen (same DPI as the first, but twice the viewing area).

Also, Windows 7 is REALLY showing it's age because it has very basic (at best) DPI-scaling support.

I wanted a 4K for:

- Movies. (100% satistfied.)

- More desktop space. (It's been a mixed bag / adaption.) I may go back to two 1080p for my daily work and put the TV in the family room and just use it for 3-D games when I want to.

- Text reading. (Mixed or to worse. Harder to read text at an angle, especially in Win7 with no good DPI scaling.)

- Games. (Mixed bag. 3-D with FOV look amazing. 2-D can look amazing or horrible depending on how well the graphics and GUI's scale.)

- Game development. (I want to play with / learn if there's any real creativity advantage for my future games using that 4K.)

My TV was "supposed" to also have HDR support. You'd think paying $800 for a TV would give you "top of the line" but apparently it only has "HDR Premium" which is another word for "No HDR at all, enjoy your 8-bit depth panel."

Like I said before, the only reason I could dream of buying this was a completely unexpected bonus. I was going to put back $50-100 each month to save for a TV but I expected to be waiting a long time. Otherwise, my money goes to bills bills bills...

Oh, also! I never had this problem before but YOU NEED a high DPI mouse. If you go from 1080p to 4K, your mouse moves HALF as fast across the screen (same pixels as before). But here's the thing! If you INCREASE your mouse speed? You start SKIPPING PIXELS. So you lose tons of accuracy in windows. And in GAMES? My friend came over to try Chivalry out. It was almost IMPOSSIBLE to make a crossbow shot because if you moved the mouse, you would be too far left (then you move right) and you completely pass their head and you're looking at their other shoulder. So decrease mouse sensitivity, right? Nope. Now you can't turn around for crap and you feel super sluggish. So I ended up having to use swords and "Guesstimating" where my attack should start from. Swinging attacks were easy-ish, but point thrusts were almost impossible to land.

I ended up buying a $30 (Man, they've become cheap!!!) "Gaming Mouse". Forever, I've been using some crap (almost unbranded) Dell 2-button mouse since all my 5-button Microsoft Intellimouse mice were broken (cables dying or buttons dying). I'm still trying to get used to this silly mouse with 8+ buttons and "adjust DPI" buttons. But it's getting more natural.

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-M801-Programmable-Profiles-Switches/dp/B00GU4F4OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484204376&sr=8-1&keywords=M801

People would probably be just as fine to buy the $13 (one lower) model:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-CENTROPHORUS-2000-Gaming-Buttons-Weight/dp/B00HTK1NCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484204408&sr=8-1&keywords=M601

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

A while ago I splashed out on one of these - I think it was the only truly left-handed-friendly gaming mouse I could find, but definitely the only one I also liked the look of. I tried to get it cheap but got scammed with an international delivery subject to customs and VAT charges that I wasn't informed about. Still, I've been very happy with it :)

{"name":"g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/2\/62afbf1c29d8f09ee50d43e9fa56430a.jpg","w":550,"h":315,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/2\/62afbf1c29d8f09ee50d43e9fa56430a"}g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse.jpg

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I have a Logitech G9 and a G9x. I worship these mice. It's expensive to get them now because they've been discontinued so long and there's nothing else like them on the market today (as far as I know). The G9x is usually sold around $400. The G9 is usually sold around $200. I bought the G9 new from an online store probably 5 or 10 years ago. The G9x I managed to snipe off of eBay or something for $200 a couple of years ago.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have a g700s thats been annoying me. So far my favorite mice have been Logitech MX510's and M510's.

It seems they've changed the sensor they use in the M510's since I bought my first couple, as the newest one is much better at working on various fabrics.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2 

Go to: