Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » KrampusHack 2016

Credits go to amarillion, Elias, Eric Johnson, and SiegeLord for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
KrampusHack 2016
Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yay, game submitted in a PM to Onewing! (Hope that's what I was supposed to do.)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I'll also be needing a couple of extra days. I thought I'd have the previous week off but I had less time than I hoped for unfortunately! 🎅

In capitalist America bank robs you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's hardly a library.

It may be a short lived library, but effectively a library is just reusable code and that's what it is.

Oh grow up. Allegro implicitly changes global state all the time, and it's your responsiblity to set it back. OpenGL much?

In Allegro's case there's likely a performance justification for leaving that state tainted (but heavily documented!): if Allegro were to try to capture the initial state and restore it for each relevant OpenGL operation it would likely cripple the library's performance. That's a valid concern. I think it's terrible that OpenGL bleeds into Allegro 5, but I trust that it's necessary (if it isn't then Allegro shouldn't be doing that either).

If it affected your library then you could readily argue that it was justifiable to alter the global state without restoring it, but in this case I don't think that's applicable. The affected bit of your library seems to predominantly initialize state a single time for later, which can certainly absorb the negligible impact of capturing and restoring the state. The runtime cost is much less than the developer cost.

Here is global state rearing its ugly head. It's a problem. That is why the industry has agreed that global state is problematic in general and that it should be used sparingly. I imagine that attempting to use this code in a multithreaded program that was "crazy" would be impossible. Perhaps some of that burden would hinge on Allegro, OpenGL, and physical hardware, but to whatever extent is possible, the software should not be a limiting factor.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

It's always per-thread global state (in the case of OpenGL and Allegro), so multi-threading works (it can still be an issue if you change state on one thread and expect it to change on another, of course).

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Hello everybody! Hope everyone enjoyed KrampusHack and more importantly, had a great Christmas! Or...vice versa. :D

I've received several entries. A surprise family event popped up that I'm going to head off to now. I'll send out the gifts this evening and you'll have the rest of the week to play them before the Secret Santas start posting to the allegro.cc Depot forums.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

We still have to the 1st though, right? ???

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare • AllegroFlare Docs • AllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Yep ! 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

The original topic says:

Onewing said:

Send the review back to the secret santa (via me, if your secret santa never revealed their identity). Try to do so before January 1, 2017.

The intention here is that the Secret Santa knows that their personalized gift was played and enjoyed by the intended sole recipient before anyone else. January 1st is when all secret santas may reveal themselves to everyone by posting their game on the depot. We decided in this thread to move the submission date back to the 26th (as it was originally). Several people have followed this rule.

I'm ready to send the submissions I got, what say you group?

------------

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Distribute the submissions which you have already received. Then let the rest trickle out as they become available.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I just updated my .zip to include a windows and a linux executable. If you downloaded it already maybe re-download it, should make it much easier for the recipient to play :)

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Oh noooo...

I still haven't finished my game. Well, I'll continue working on it. It appears Santa had a bit of a liftoff delay!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Without a deadline, a competition is just a "I'll try to finish a game someday", which is pretty much what I'm doing all year long anyway :) And a deadline decreases in importance every time you move it.

But I don't want to be negative here. Those of you following the "late" deadline, best of luck! In the mean time, let's open us up some gifts!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Certainly the deadline is meant to be motivation for a "hack" event. Obviously a floating deadline is therefore demotivating. That said, the whole event was kind of whimsical this year so if you're motivated to get something done still I don't see the harm. But certainly the next KrampusHack should be more precisely defined. ;)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

bamccaig said:

But certainly the next KrampusHack should be more precisely defined.

Ah, but that would be a SantaHack. The spirit of KrampusHack is that it itself is a hacked together event. 8-)

I have sent out the completed gifts. There were 4 that were done on time and one person said they are delayed. Two people who completed games also received games!

------------

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I received my gift. It's a blast to play! :D

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I like my gift a lot - but I don't know how to change key assignments and I can't reach the space bar on my keyboard without letting go of WASD - so it gets extra hard to play :P

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I use the mouse with the left hand, so WASD is bad in general (since I have to move the right hand over). I always use cursor keys instead.

[edit:]
Ha, turns out Allegro 5 has some ancient feature ported over from Allegro 4 where you can modify the X11 keyboard mapping in allegro5.cfg:

[xkeymap]
113=1
114=4
111=23
116=19

(that maps cursor keys to WASD)

Let's see how many krampusses I can kill now...

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Elias said:

I always use cursor keys instead.

Wouldn't IJKL be better, since you can still easily reach the spacebar with your thumb?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

For most desktop keyboards, yes, but laptop keyboards might have the cursor keys close enough for that not to matter.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

IJKL would work for me - or WASD and having jump on F instead of Space. Anyway, the lesson here is don't hardcode keys :)

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

That's a wrap on KrampusHack! Thanks for participating! Here's some info:

Participants that received gifts:
Eric Johnson got a gift from Amarillion
Mark Oates got a gift from Eric Johnson
Elias got a gift from SiegeLord
Derezo got a gift from Elias

Participants that did not get gifts:
Edgar Reynaldo did not get a gift from Derezo or GullRaDriel (late entry)
Vanneto did not get a gift from Mark Oates
m c did not get a gift from Edgar Reynaldo
Amarillion did not get a gift from Takaaki Furukawa
SiegeLord did not get a gift from Vanneto
Takaaki Furukawa did not get a gift from m c
GullRaDriel (late entry) did not get a gift

You can now upload your games to the depot. I can see several people have already done so. :)

Thread credits go to those who completed and provided games.

------------

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Now we know who's been naughty and who's been nice. >:(:D>:(:D

[edit] I'm still working on my game loool

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's still the first of January and I'm packing my entry.

>:(>:(>:(

UPLOADED FFS !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: