Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » KrampusHack 2016

Credits go to amarillion, Elias, Eric Johnson, and SiegeLord for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
KrampusHack 2016
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Day 2 progress: camera and map classes are complete. Scrapped a bunch of useless/ugly tiles. Designed more of the player sprites. Got a working map to render. Tomorrow: player class and keyboard inputs and maybe states (intro screen, credits, etc).

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I was tempted to join, but I've never been able to finish anything due to time constraints over family so I decided I wouldn't waste everyone's time this year.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

@Specter
Was that your post on mingw-users I just replied to?

Get your New Avatar Pack here
(updated Avatars.cpp and Avatars.hpp for better error checking , and included Gully's cat avatar).

Use : Call PopulateAvatars and if it succeeds, you can call GetAvatar with whatever avatar you want. Valid sizes are 160, 64, and 32. Black and white only works with 32. Valid indices are from 0 to 11, in member order. Read Avatars.cpp:avatar_names to see who is who.

Protip. If you're using an atlas, allocate an area 12*(size + 2) by size + 2 on your atlas, create a sub bitmap of it, and then call CreateAvatarAtlas on the sub bitmap and CreateAvatars on that same bitmap. Then call GetAvatar as usual. It will use the sub bitmap of your main atlas to draw the avatars on, and then create sub bitmaps of each avatar on it as well.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

...so I decided I wouldn't waste everyone's time this year.

Except for that 30 seconds we'll never get back. ;) And these ones.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I hated that cat so I blocked his avatar with custom CSS.

:o:o:o

That has always been my #1 favorite on this forum :'(

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

But I love kitties!!!

Like this one ;)

{"name":"610683","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dd70947677822ac0fe34c1d86f930c25.jpg","w":640,"h":477,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dd70947677822ac0fe34c1d86f930c25"}610683

EDIT
Progress.

Near to a working selection screen. My avatar testing is complete. The avatar pack should be good to go.

{"name":"610684","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/4\/a4cfbffaa379aae4fcdef9970dc12edc.png","w":1026,"h":801,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/4\/a4cfbffaa379aae4fcdef9970dc12edc"}610684

Where to go from here?

I need some kind of theme or genre or basic clues as to what to go on.

If everyone could post 3 things that they would like to see in their game, that would be immensely helpful. (Oh, and things like monitor resolutions would be good - right now I'm working for 1024x768 as that is widely supported and emulated.)

I'll start :
1. Dungeons
2. Dragons
3. Hack n slash (text mode is cool too)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Didn't you get that information in your PM from OneWing already?

I already posted my wishlist...

Takaaki Furukawa
Member #16,609
December 2016

Sorry, I said I would be in but I will be out. I have a load of real life stuff to do and won't be able to make a game on time.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Well, for me it's too late to change direction anyway.

If you don't have enough to go on, maybe you can look a bit into the persons background and use some of that. Maybe you can spoof some elements from a depot / speedhack game of your subject?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

FYI Edgar, my avatar was actually one of MY cats.
Anyway, I'm in ! 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Time for a vague progress update.

So here is the plan. I figure I won't have enough time to do a completely new game from scratch. So what I'm doing instead is taking an old competition entry from way back, and giving it an upgrade, new balancing, and extra polish. And a completely new theme. With the relaxed krampushack rules, I think that this should be ok. I'll replace most of the graphics so I'm hoping that it's going to be different enough to keep the secret safe.

So far I've programmed about 6-7 hours. I'll have to do day job and other llife stuff during the week, but I figure I should be able to spare another 10 hours or so before the deadline.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

If everyone could post 3 things that they would like to see in their game, that would be immensely helpful.

Didn't we do this in the last thread? I mentioned cheesecake and dogs, but here goes again:
1. Cheesecake (a very tasty dessert)
2. Dogs (man's best friend--sorry cat lovers)
3. Some good ol' fashioned pixels!

Oh, and my resolution is 1600x900, but 1024x768 works. Also, not sure who got me (I don't want to know until after Christmas), but whomever it is... you don't have to implement all my "wishlist" ideas. ;)

Sorry, I said I would be in but I will be out. I have a load of real life stuff to do and won't be able to make a game on time.

Sorry to see you go, Takaaki! Maybe next year! :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

1. Cats
2. Noodles (as in like a bowl of Japanese-style ramen)
3. Designs with a nice color palette ;):P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

1. A completed game :P
2. Some kicking music
3. Err... maybe some 3D ness, that's optional... but I always am amused at games that try to be 3D.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Oh man, this is hard.

From My Secret Krampus I would like
1) a 4 stringed instrument, or many 4 stringed instruments, or a many stringed instrument ???
2) a bag of fireworks and a lighter!
3) world peace

[edit]
I'm (sadly) running Windows 10 and have been developing using MSVC :o Hopefully I can get a makefile going so this can be compiled on Linux more easily.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

1. Zero, one or more elephants.
2. Yellow. At least one pixel. Or at least some warm colors like orange or beige.
3. Lots of Christmas Krampus spirit.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Update: hit a major snag in my code. :( Hoping to fix it by the day's end. Hack code is so messy. :-/

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'm using my old collection of useful functions, but somehow collision detection seemed off in my game. I generally only add simple functions to that collection and when I'm 100% sure it's bug free - so I was trying all kinds of things for an hour in my current game code before I double checked the function I was using from that collection. And was shocked to find this:

if dx + dx + dy * dy < radius * radius:

I don't understand how I never noticed earlier. I need to add unit tests to each single of my functions in that collection. After Krampushack.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

if dx + dx + dy * dy < radius * radius:

Oh wow, that's a nasty one :o :-X

Yea, I just ran into a few missing features in framework code. One related to al_set_new_bitmap_flags(), Allegro, al_clone_bitmap(), and drawing pixel-perfect scaled renders. I added a PR, btw. It ultimately resolved in me creating a new function in my framework.

But yes, there are a lot of holes in there! :o *Hacks are a great way to find them! :)

Oh, by the way, Adobe CC sucks, guys >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Was that your post on mingw-users I just replied to?

The post I made was about copy constructor, std::copy(); error I was getting and then went into good programming practices.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I couldn't understand why my icons weren't rendering in the correct position until I realized I wasn't drawing them at their actual location, only centering them on the same space. :o

Those are fun bugs. When you know what you're doing ahead of time, intend to wire something together, but don't. It compiles, it runs, but it doesn't work. How can it possibly not work, it's so simple?! Cue hours lost chasing gremlins because your assumptions are bad.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Got past that snag I mentioned earlier. :D But I couldn't figure out why my camera wasn't following its target left or right... Turned out the target's getX() method was returning its y axis the whole time. >:(

Go to: