Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 2016's Christmas Hack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
2016's Christmas Hack
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

If you all want, I can run as official commish for this event. Here's what I'm willing to do:

• Make final decisions on any details not yet sorted/aligned by the group

• Oversee the secretsantaorganizer tool

• Field any questions or reassignments via a.cc private messaging.

• I might make an html5 game for all. I might not.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm down with Onewing running the event.

Few more questions:
So are there winners in this thing, like in other hacks? Or because of the "secret Santa" thing, it's just all for fun? Either way, I'm still willing to participate. Also, are we allowed to reveal who made which games after the event, or would that negate the "secret" part of "secret Santa"? :P

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Thanks, Eric. Two more "aye's" and I'll call it official.

We originally mentioned uploading the games here on the thread...but that wouldn't be very secret. We'll have to come up with a delivery method. I would say that the gifts need to remain a secret until January 1st so the receiver has a week or so after Christmas to play their game all to themselves.

------------

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Onewing, when we launch could you start a new thread so that we have "official" rules and up-to-date list of participants in OP? :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

My wishlist: make an isometric turn-based shooter that features rabbits made of meatballs on a journey to flush their pet goldfish down the local cesspool. Along the way, the rabbits learn the true meaning of Christmas: getting some sweet gifts. 8-) Thanks in advance! :D (Only joking, of course.)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Onewing, congratulations to being the official commissioner! :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Woot, progress! I'll speak in Central Standard Time (GMT -6) since that's the timezone I'm in...

Alright, this is what I got thus far:

Participants:

• Mark Oates

• Edgar Reynaldo

• Eric Johnson

• Elias

• Amarillion

Title: KrampusHack
SantaHack is a little better planned and structured. The concept here is same (to gift a game), but the definition of this event has come almost entirely from sheer spontaneity. As such, this event is SantaHack's cousin, KrampusHack.

You must register (by saying "I'm in" on this thread) by 2:00pm Central Standard Time on Friday, December 16th. The above list of participants is already registered.

Late Registration:
Anyone can join at any time and will register by PM'ing me directly. You may or may not receive a gift and the gift you make will be delivered to someone randomly in the group of official participants above.

Due Date:
You have to have your game turned in by 2:00pm Central Standard Time on Saturday, December 24th. I will send the games out shortly after through PM. Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug too!

Your assignment:
Your assigned person will be sent out shortly after 2:00pm Central Standard Time tomorrow. A new allegro.cc thread will be started! Try to use allegro, but if struggling, use whatever you want. Make a game! I will provide any information I can on your assigned person as discussed from this thread. Personalizing your game for the receiver is also recommended but not required.

Keep your game gift a secret! Play it and spend some time to write a thoughtful review. Send the review back to the secret santa. Try to do so before January 1, 2017. On January 2017, everyone please post your game on the allegro.cc Depot!

Thoughts?

------------

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

:O

I'm in!

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Sounds good to me! :D

Just to confirm, there's no "wishlist" for KrampusHack? Just to personalize it for whomever one receives to make a game for? What if I don't know anything about that person? :o

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

We should strive to provide some simple request/guideline for our game. For example, I like cats. So something with cats would make me extra happy.

[edit:] Oh yea, BTW: yay! :D:D:D super excited about KrampusHack! :D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

We should strive to provide some simple request/guideline for our game

Good idea! My request: throwing in a cheesecake or two for me would be awesome (it's my favorite dessert). Or anything with dogs (dogs are my second favorite dessert), because dogs are cool. :D

Edit
By the way, the game doesn't have the be Christmas themed, does it?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

What if I don't know anything about that person?

You know their name and avatar. That's a start. :D

But yes, you don't have to provide any guidelines, but if you do, I will send that along to your secret santa.

[edit]
Does not have to be Christmas theme.

------------

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I'd also like to participate.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

+1 for Onewing. Thanks for picking this up. I'm looking forward to this.

I'll try to keep a progress log in the official thread. It's going to be tricky to do so without giving anything away, but I'll try anyway...

Oh, and my wishlist: I like games that teach me something, i.e. an educational game.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I want to.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Is anyone using VS, or do all the Windows people here use gcc? If the latter, a basic directory structure could be used by everyone, and then a makefile could be written, and used by everyone, that will work on all platforms.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Vanneto and m c, I'm taking your "like to" and "want to" as official registration. ;)

------------

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Onewing said:

Vanneto and m c, I'm taking your "like to" and "want to" as official registration. ;)

No! They broke the law! :o

They knew what they were doing! >:(

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I like yellow elephants!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Oh, wanted to note:

By the way, the game doesn't have the be Christmas themed, does it?

Games don't have to be Christmas themed, but they usually are.

--

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

LennyLen said:

Is anyone using VS, or do all the Windows people here use gcc? If the latter, a basic directory structure could be used by everyone, and then a makefile could be written, and used by everyone, that will work on all platforms.

Yes I am using visual studio. Well I plan on sticking to stock allegro + giving a folder of .c/.h .exe/.dll and data files.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Go to: