Anyone have more details to offer?

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Upload must fit in attachment, due December 25th go?

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm interested! :D

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Does anyone have a copy of a previous year's rules page? santahack.net is down and its not on archive.org either. Also, I vote we name it "Jingle Hack" :D

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Deadline 25th, must fit in an attachment. We're getting somewhere.

Lets expand on that. What hour and which time zone is the deadline? What is exactly the attachment site limit? When do we start?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

A full week for it ? At least we will be able to provide some running entries.
I propose start from 19th to 25th included. Presents will be uploaded during the 26 only.
Size limit: something correct for our days would be 15MB. Doing so we'll be able to provide musics and stuff.
Timezone, wait, which timezone is Santa's timezone ?

EDIT: we have a few days going to build up some rules and vote for them. And announce it a bit.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Maybe let's start on Friday, 16th. That way we get one full weekend (17th and 18th) to work on a game. The weekend after that already is Christmas and people may travel to their families and so on and not have time for coding. And most of us won't have time during the week.

15 MB rule and uploading on 26th sound good to me :)

Was there anything like a speedhack-rule-o-matic with random extra rules?

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I agree with the 16th start date.

Dunno, can't we bring out the santa's hack rules ?
or a fresh rule-o-matic ?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Elias said:

Does anyone have a copy of a previous year's rules page? santahack.net is down and its not on archive.org either.

Here is an archive.org link that still works from October, 2012. It's just the home page. Unfortunately, most other pages were not archived. :(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Oops! :o It should be fixed now. If not, here's the link again:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121206043209/http://www.santahack.net/2012/home

Sorry about that.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Ok, yes, I also support the decisions that are being made thus far! :)

Namely:

- start on 16th
- end on 25th
- 15MB attachment (or link to hosted file)

Also, since numbers are low and completion rate is undetermined, I propose an alternative to the "Secret Santa" formula: Each entry must somehow include a gift for every participant in the competition.

What that means is up to your creative interpretation! :) But here are some naive examples:

- Your game involves collecting items, and there are special items specific to a entrant.
- Your game involves playing as different characters, and the quest is modified/specialized for the entrant and you can "play as" Mark Oates or Dezero or Evert or whoever. :)
- Your game is a snow generator: There are different presets for each entrant.

Apart from that there would be the normal rule-o-matic with the other rules :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I like that! Just for reference I did manage to find the 2009 version on archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20100125020735/http://xmashack.wasyl.eu/2009/rules

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Also, since numbers are low and completion rate is undetermined, I propose an alternative to the "Secret Santa" formula: Each entry must somehow include a gift for every participant in the competition.

So instead of a single gift, we have to give a gift to everyone? I'm gonna be lucky to complete anything given a single gift much less one for everyone. I don't like that rule.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Your game involves collecting items, and there are special items specific to a entrant.

I feel like there might be a lot of avatars at work here :)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I somewhat agree with Mark. Who's against something ?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Edgar: If someone wished for a game which has 3 NPCs for the 3 participants, then you would have had to do the exact same rule in the "secret santa" version ;)

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The way Oates wants it, you have to give a gift to everybody, instead of just a single gift to your secret santa. It complicates things, makes coding more effort, and makes me more unlikely to finish.

I would really rather have the secret santa thing than this get a gift for everybody thing. It takes time to make a good gift for one person, let alone everyone. We have 8 people already who say they're going to participate. That's 8 gifts and 8 good ideas everyone would have to come up with. It's a bad rule.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Secret Santa is hard to do with just this thread though - and no time left to do anything else (like a website).

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I like the rule you came up with, Edgar. Oh wait, you didn't come up with any rules. ;D

Ok, how about this: Each entry must use, in some way, allegro.cc avatars of every participant in the competition.

No content creation required! :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

That's what I figured we were going to do anyway :P

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

But now you don't have other options! ;D

--

Go to: