Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » al_install_audio fails when started from quick launch bar

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
al_install_audio fails when started from quick launch bar
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I've put off asking about this for a long time because it's not too major an issue for me, but I don't want it to be a problem for others when I distribute my game.

My game runs fine.
However...
When you start it from the quick-launch bar in Windows, most of the time al_install_audio will return false.
What is odd is you can right-click on the same icon and click the application icon in the context window and it succeeds 100% of the time.

Any advice on what I can do to make it work all the time? ???

if(!al_install_audio())
    {
        al_show_native_message_box(nullptr, "Error!", "", "Failed to initialize audio.", nullptr, ALLEGRO_MESSAGEBOX_ERROR);
        return false;
    }

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Which Windows, and which quick launch? Pinned to the start menu? Pinned to the task bar? Have you tried running the debug version Allegro in a debugger and seeing what part crashes?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Windows 7 64bit, pinned to taskbar.
I don't know how to debug Allegro, but I avoid a program crash by closing when the init fails (only from the taskbar with a left click)

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That's interesting. My first thought was that the exe path might be different and some resource files are not loaded correctly.

However, you're saying the actual init fails. Have you tried a bare-bones program with only al_init and al_install_audio?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I can confirm experiencing the same problem on multiple machines with my games. I follow the same basic initialization pattern.

Go to: