Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » globally available functions and resources

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
globally available functions and resources
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I'm planning to write something like a soundmanager for my games. There will only be one such a manager and everything that makes noise will use it.
What will be the better option

• variables and functions in a namespace.

• a class with only static members and functions

• singleton class

What would you do, and why ?
Thnx for stopping by;-)

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Variable and function in a namespace if you want to stick to C++ style,
Class and only static things if you wanna make it C style.

In ANY case, not a singleton one. Why ? Because it looks awful.

If I were doing it in C++ I would go with #1 as it's the case which will allow the best control over the api when mixed with other api's.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

If there's one of those patterns that you've not practiced, it may be an opportunity to try. In this case, you can't shoot yourself in the foot : the sound system depends on a unique resource which is your PC's sound output, you are not likely to suddenly need multiple concurrent sound systems.

Otherwise, I would use whatever looks the most like the neighboring code.
For example if your code is mostly doing allegro5 calls like al_something(), I would prefer to have snd_something(), rather than Sound.Something()

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

For a sound manager, I would probably go with an object, something like this:

#SelectExpand
1class Sound 2{ 3private: 4 class SoundRecord 5 { 6 public: 7 std::string identifier; 8 ALLEGRO_SAMPLE *sample; 9 // ... 10 }; 11 std::vector<SoundRecord *> samples; 12 13public: 14 // some methods like... 15 bool preload(std::string identifier, std::string filename); 16 void play(std::string identifier); 17 void start_stream(std::string identifier); 18 void fade_out(std::string identifier, float speed); 19 // ... 20};

Focus on the interface you want more than anything else. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

It is gonna use allegro anyway..
but I need a nicer way of loading and playing sounds than the hard coded mess I have right now. I also need a way to play continues sound (loop) and stop the correct instance at the right moment. Right now I use a sample ID returned from al_play_sound and a bool that tells me if that instance is playing. But when you have a lot of looping sounds that must be stopped at the right moment.. it's not such a nice solution.

I also noticed you cannot compare sampleIDs ... ??

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Last time I had such need, I linked it the opposite way : If an emitted sound could be cancelled / interrupted later ("Ka-me-ha-me... - Ouch!"), the emitter passed his own identifier.
It was a bit long ago, but I think I used the memory address of the calling class instance, stored as a void pointer. The code handling a game character would typically call play_sound("kamehama", this), or if the sound had to run to completion no matter what, it would be play_sound("boom", NULL)

Go to: