Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Reddit just deleted their warrant canary.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Reddit just deleted their warrant canary.
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

For those who don't know, Reddit was testing an unproven-in-court concept called a warrant canary. Basically, the US government (land of the free!) can send National Security Letters (NSLs) that force you to "do what they say or go to jail" AND come with a gag order that says you're never allowed to talk about it. You're also not allowed your constitutional right to due process.

So the warrant canary is a message that says "We have never had to allow the government access to our databases." Posted publicly. And then when they DO get a letter, they remove that message--which isn't "technically" speaking about the event.

Well, Reddit just removed theirs. Which means they're now being tapped by the USA government. So consider using throwaway accounts, or switching to read-only mode.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/4cswyr/reddit_deletes_surveillance_warrant_canary_in/

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/4ct1kz/reddit_deletes_surveillance_warrant_canary_in/

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

KANARIENVOGEL!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm in a complete state and can't post any more intelligently than that :(

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

It was only a matter of time.

If I ever see the >:( emoticon disappear from a.cc, I'll know the NSA is tapping a.cc!

I'm just kidding; ML has been selling our information for years and we all know it. >:(

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

These things are actually illegal in Australia. If you say you have not been served a warrant, you can get two years in prison.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Sorry, I'm in a complete state and can't post any more intelligently than that :(

Complete state? Is that some holy state you obtain when visiting a Japanese temple?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Elias said:

Complete state? Is that some holy state you obtain when visiting a Japanese temple?

He actually wrote "Complete state of shock", but of course there is no record of that.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

@jmasterx

They are already here. Allegro has been integrated with google. Google = nsas

google has implement a internet user mapping genetic algorithm. it has been running for many years now and it gets more and more accurate the more sites or services integrate with google.

EDIT the use of mobile phone internet use has sky rocket the accuracy.

the concept is you don't put your personal information and ever sight you visit on the internet however you will do it on some. the algorim just makes the connections.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Rash said:

These things are actually illegal in Australia. If you say you have not been served a warrant, you can get two years in prison.

That's ridiculous... Seriously, when is enough enough for us to stop going to work and start marching onto the steps of parliament/the senate? ???

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

bamccaig said:

Seriously, when is enough enough for us to stop going to work and start marching onto the steps of parliament/the senate? ???

Did we pick the wrong place last time?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'd say so. That doesn't seem like a very good way to be intimidating. I imagine the people "we" hoped we'd reach by it couldn't care less. Did anything ever come of that aside from government harassment and surveillance of law abiding citizens?

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I guess this video explains my earlier post (skip to 0:48):

video

I feel better now though :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I never thought I would... but I miss German.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Vote for Bernie Sanders. Who else that isn't a total asshole has a real chance to win?

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Torhu, this forum is still shit.

That said, vote Bernie Sanders.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

{"name":"Im-your-Hucklebernie-800x445.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/a\/daa82889fe2c4b9ce721b0e87bf50bc8.jpg","w":800,"h":445,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/a\/daa82889fe2c4b9ce721b0e87bf50bc8"}Im-your-Hucklebernie-800x445.jpg

Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

{"name":"giphy.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/89fe7ed6f24d3850d71761ec6b8e69be.gif","w":373,"h":277,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/89fe7ed6f24d3850d71761ec6b8e69be"}giphy.gif

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

You points are valid. Especially when you consider you can look at our history ^_^.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I have no idea what is going on.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Well, Reddit just removed theirs. Which means they're now being tapped by the USA government. So consider using throwaway accounts, or switching to read-only mode.

I assure anyone with 1/100 of the power of the U.S. govt could access these. Or to be more specific, I'd take at least 5 intelligence agencies. That'll be UK's Mi6, IL's Mossad, the Chinese, ofc' the CIA itself, certainly Russians, and I'm quite sure couple of others.

P.S:
There's a Russian hacker group(or could you say anti-Russian? I'm just quite sure they're Russian too) name b0ltai (b0ltai.org, website banned in Russia, I use proxies to access) which regularly publishes various kinds of stuff related to Russian corruption. Including various photos..
Oh so often grabbed from iPhones. Which are apparently quite defenseless(that's about the recent hype with access to privacy of the iPhone. It's security is shitty enough for some random(yes, very sophisticated, and perhaps CIA funded) hacker group to access.

So no, there sno privacy online. Want privacy? Use Linux, and email your friends encrypted files and make'em study the passwords by heart when you meet them tete'a'tete.. Yet on the other hand, the privacy is assured for 99.99% of us, because no one sophisticated gives a damn about what we're doing anyways. And apparently even industrial espionage doesn't seem to be much of matter changing, as otherwise Russians would already have Russian cars(what Russia makes isn't cars, really), and the Pentagon wouldn't be extending purchases of Russian rocket engines & whining they can't repeat the tech of 60s faster than in 8 years.

So.. We're in full privacy cos' nobody cares about us. Yet if they do, they read us. :)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The US has these things called "National Security Letter" which the template for these things include that whoever gets it can't tell anyone they gotten the letter. The best way companies found to tell people if they gotten one or not where ever they telling their users about data some government is asking for is to use the warrant canary. Basically, they're feel to say they haven't been served one of those letters if it's true, but once they get one, they can't talk about it at all.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

OMG! The warrant canary is missing on the front page of a.cc!

{"name":"cat-eating-bird.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/3401585fcea47c8fde9b698abe2f0319.jpg","w":468,"h":297,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/3401585fcea47c8fde9b698abe2f0319"}cat-eating-bird.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Go to: