Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Scaled font print call?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Scaled font print call?
TrippleG93
Member #16,156
January 2016

The game that I am trying to create scales all my images to fit the middle of the screen. Thus if the game is 640 by 480 it will scale it on a computer screen that is 1080 * 720 and so forth.

When I print a scaled bitmap the coordinates change to negative coordinate (I don't know why but I have adjusted to that)

The problem I am running into is that for bitmaps there is a function call called
- al_draw_scaled_bitmap()
But for fonts I don't know if there exist such a function call and if not how do I scale it so that it prints on the right coordinate for the screen.

Here is an example
- al_draw_scaled_bitmap(mapImagePlain, -row * 32, -column * 24, screenWidth, screenHeight, scaleX, scaleY, scaleW, scaleH, 0);

• where the xPosition and yPosition are both negative but for this call:

- al_draw_text(font, al_map_rgb(red, green, blue), xPosition, yPosition, NULL, text);

• where the xPosition and yPosition are positive and its coordinates deals with the actual screen size

If anyone knows a solution or has advice it would be much appreciated thank you

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Yes, there are no functions to scale fonts.

The current way to draw a scaled font is to draw your text to a separate ALLEGRO_BITMAP. Then, draw a scaled bitmap.

It might be something like this:

#SelectExpand
1ALLEGRO_BITMAP *create_text_render(ALLEGRO_FONT *font, ALLEGRO_COLOR color, const char *text) 2{ 3 ALLEGRO_STATE previous_state; 4 al_store_state(&previous_state, ALLEGRO_STATE_TARGET_BITMAP); 5 6 int bitmap_w = al_get_text_width(font, text); 7 int bitmap_h = al_get_font_line_height(font); 8 ALLEGRO_BITMAP *text_render = al_create_bitmap(bitmap_w, bitmap_h); 9 10 al_set_target_bitmap(text_render); 11 al_clear_to_color(al_map_rgba_f(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0)); 12 13 al_draw_text(font, color, 0, 0, NULL, text); 14 15 al_restore_state(&previous_state); 16 return text_render; 17}

^ This is not tested; there may be typos. Here's how it's done in AllegroFlare.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

TrippleG93
Member #16,156
January 2016

Thank You! I'll give that a try and I'll let you know how that goes.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

If the fonts are TTF, can't you just increase the font point size?

Scaling small text to HD is going to be very ugly.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: