Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Shots and bomb in Paris

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Shots and bomb in Paris
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Where is the evidence, at least for France, that they do or do not ?

Edit: what I mean is that we don't have that much various source of informations.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

My point is that us bombing their terrorism camps and them bombing civilian targets aren't both "terrorism". Maybe bamccaig was saying that they (civilians in radical-infested countries) can't tell the difference, I don't know.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

We could easily control it, if we weren't so wussified. Vietnam could have been won in a couple of months if we'd put everyone on line and criss-crossed it, there weren't that many tunnels to hide in.

Vietnam would have been over potentially reasonable terms during Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency without years more of unprepared youths dying (on all sides of the war, but especially American [I can't speak for the Vietnamese]). It wasn't our inability to fight nor was it "wussification", it was Nixon's just-shy-of-treason (I don't claim treason because it's well outlined in the Constitution was treason is) in talking with Northern Vietnam and sabotaging peace talks as a pre-emptive boost to his future presidential campaign. Almost like what the GOP did during Obama's Iran-Nuclear deal, imagine that :).

And to boot, by no means is it even comparable to ISIS and the rest.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

bamccaig said:

Continuing to wage war isn't going to fix this. Probably the only thing that could ever resolve it is an apology from multiple sides, centuries worth of support and aid, and a whole lot of tolerance during the transition.

Well, what do you propose then? I mean seriously, what is the alternative besides crushing on them really hard. And I'm afraid that a ground operation will be necessary, because no war was ever won by airforce. These people understand only blunt force, you can't reason with them nor you can apologise to them. Apologise for what?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

OICW said:

Well, what do you propose then? I mean seriously, what is the alternative besides crushing on them really hard. And I'm afraid that a ground operation will be necessary, because no war was ever won by airforce. These people understand only blunt force, you can't reason with them nor you can apologise to them. Apologise for what?

Military action is most assuredly necessary, if only to contain ISIS.

But otherwise, preventative means need to be taken to limit and eventually eradicate extremist behavior. This means improving quality of life and providing a solid education.

Most acts of terror, domestic or foreign, are carried out by a combination of the destitute, hopeless, and/or the uneducated. Remove these factors and stabilization is most probable.

ISIS isn't self-sustaining. They need recruits. Eliminate motives that enable recruitment and you are on the way to neutering, and perhaps even eliminating, ISIS.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc said:

Terrorism to me is going out of one's way to harm civilians specifically. ISIS does that for sure, but where's your evidence that the US, France, Russia, etc. is bombing sites that have no rebel affiliation?

WikiLeaks.

raynebc said:

My point is that us bombing their terrorism camps and them bombing civilian targets aren't both "terrorism". Maybe bamccaig was saying that they (civilians in radical-infested countries) can't tell the difference, I don't know.

Do you have any idea what the civilian casualty count was like for Afghanistan or Iraq?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_casualties_in_the_war_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War#Iraqi_civilian_casualties

These are just the estimates. Who knows what the real number is. Let alone trigger happy Americans bombing allied forces, etc...

Worse is watching video of allied forces' behavior there. They often have video recording devices inside of tanks, aircraft, etc. It records the voices and often the movements of the soldiers or the equipment. There's several leaked videos of soldiers knowingly bombing or shelling people with no idea if they're hostiles or not, as well as just generally firing tank guns and heavy machine guns into or around cities all night long (while listening to rap music on the stereo...really). Not necessarily shooting at anything. Just because it's fun, and they can. Can you imagine what that would have been like for any civilian to live through (if they were even so lucky)?

video

It's looks just like they're playing a video game and their attitude seems about the same as somebody you'd expect to meet on Xbox Live...

Look for video leaked by Wikileaks. The governments definitely don't want to release this stuff themselves... These are the things they cover up and deny.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I'm not surprised that deployed soldiers are desensitized to violence toward their enemy, but I'm not seeing an example comparable to ISIS picking a large and purely civilian target like a sports stadium and killing everybody they see.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Yeah. War is hell. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling you something.

Causalities are to be expected whenever you are at war, and if that makes you uncomfortable as a citizen, you should be voting against war.

I may have dwindling faith in our police, but our troops are some of the most well meaning people you'll see. Want to see what our troops are really like?

Watch This Is What Winning Looks Like. A 2-3 year long documentary in Iraq with the soldiers that show them completely handcuffed by politicians against doing their job, and how little Iraqi soldiers actually give a crap about discipline and our/their cause.

I'll never forget this mans face:

{"name":"vb4lb7M.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f2ccf597f6336950a2e88a4cb984a45e.png","w":938,"h":526,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f2ccf597f6336950a2e88a4cb984a45e"}vb4lb7M.png

As he tried and to argue over and over and failed, to save children from being molested and (murdered when they try to escape) by Iraqi soldiers. He had no authority to break peoples faces. All he could do was use words and make an impassioned plea to their leaders and it would fall on deaf ears. He said "Let's just go early in the morning and get these kids!" and once the leader agreed the meeting was over. That night he got a phone call by military brass that said his operation was cancelled.

He ended up telling the reporter these horrible stories... you could see him hold back because military brass told him what he couldn't tell the reporter (to make the military/politicians look bad) but you could see a battle in his eyes and where his words get choked up... like something inside him was screaming, clawing at him "Just tell the reporter! I've seen so many things that I've been told to look away. Please! Someone listen! Anyone! Make this horror stop."

Obama inherited the wars and immediately cut off all contact with the proper new governments. They were on there own and he wouldn't even provide advice. Bush, to his credit (and people know I'm not a Bush fan!) would actually regularly give lectures and discussions to the new Iraqi leadership with how to be politicians and serve the people. Obama cut off all contact and left them to rot.

[edit]

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/3teoqh/after_the_killing_of_a_chinese_hostage_in_syria/

CHINA IS JOINING THE FIGHT! Woo! ISIS, get ready to know what it feels like to have all three major world powers knocking on your door.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

How many civilian casualties were there in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

That's what happens when entire countries are in a global scale war. Destroy or be destroyed. We can all only hope the likes of WW2 never happens again.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

How many civilian casualties were there in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Way too many, obviously. However, the firebombings that were prevalent prior to those were also horrendous. The convection currents produced by so many fires over several square kilometers whipped up the flames even harder.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Watch This Is What Winning Looks Like. A 2-3 year long documentary in Iraq

Err... It's about Afghanistan, not Iraq. :P

I remember reading an article about the Iraq War years ago... I think it might have been this one . I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems to be above-average journalism, as it's based on interviews of 50 Iraq-war-veterans.

Oh, and have you heard about the above-average rate of miscarriages & cancers in some regions of Iraq, which might be due to the use of depleted uranium ammunition by coalition forces? I think there were even actual scientific studies about that.
So, yes, war is hell. Even years afterwards.
However, if the situation is already totally fucked up, there's nothing else you can do. :-/

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Afghanistan, not Iraq. :P

Yeah, I misspoke.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Polybios said:

I remember reading an article about the Iraq War years ago... I think it might have been this one . I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems to be above-average journalism, as it's based on interviews of 50 Iraq-war-veterans.

If reading that doesn't enlighten and enrage you then there's no hope for mankind. You can imagine what witnessing that could do to a man. I'd say the Americans (and others) went over there and gave them a whole lot more reasons to hate us and want to destroy us. Going over there and doing more of the same is sure to keep fueling the fire, not extinguish it.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

"gave them a whole lot more reasons to hate us and want to destroy us"

This is exactly what is intended by terrorist attacks (and why demands aren't a focus of modern terrorism). They are a cheap way to get a foreign power to wage war, resulting in fractured states that groups like ISIS grow in. They want war. War is a tool for supporting terrorists.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I lived in Israel for fifteen years, including those when there were terrorists attacks on literally daily basis, while I was studying in a school in one of the most targeted cities(Tel Aviv). I think my bus route exploded only once though.

Once I & a friend got down from the bus because we one man looked to suspicious to us. Fairly selfish, but come on.. What are you as kids gonna do? (nope, nothing exploded then)

That was all background to provide a proof I'm involved enough.

Nevertheless, I really dislike the fact everyone relates to killing civilians as towards more of a sin than killing militants. France, Russia, U.S- bomb ISIS. More than this, I believe majorities of populations support the operations(in Russia I'm certain about it).

So.. Soldiers(pilots) are sent on an operation of killing, they are sent by a government elected by people who pay taxes for it. I agree kids are innocent, but the innocence ends there. Then people color their avatars into threecolors to show compassion to those died in terrorist attacks, not thinking the death count in series is three orders of magnitude higher.

Also couple of words about how I think the ISIS came to power.. Well, clearly I blame the U.S, but it's not as simple as Thomas(I believe) has written above: I believe in the U.S. plans ISIS could solve two problems.

1. Assad.
2. Terrorism. Drawing a conflict line between arab/arab is beneficiary for U.S, and is highly preferable for it than a line of conflict of the west/arab. Putin has successfully implement this tactic in Chechnya, he has a local lord Kadyrov who controls the area pretty much using the area's own rules, in conflict of those european people are used for(human rights suffer), but there is peace.

, I read that the US was sending in F-15's, which are mostly dogfighters

Unless equipped with much better long range missiles(which is probably the case, but then you barely care what plane you're sending)- it's not a plane(old, no vector thrusting) you wanna send to dogfight modern Russian fighters which are deployed in Syria.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

"gave them a whole lot more reasons to hate us and want to destroy us"

This is exactly what is intended by terrorist attacks (and why demands aren't a focus of modern terrorism). They are a cheap way to get a foreign power to wage war, resulting in fractured states that groups like ISIS grow in. They want war. War is a tool for supporting terrorists.

Do you believe this line of thinking to be true? I personally really like the argument, but I haven't yet heard any counter-argument to this message and that makes me a bit nervous.

That is, I don't think it matters what OUR actions are. Keep in mind that for someone like Obama, American conservatives don't care what he says or does, everything is his fault. No matter what, their cognitive bias will turn his words into garbage. I see no reason that ISIS would see perceive our actions with any more responsibility. I don't think they need reasons. They make reasons.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I think you're at least partially right, although I think it's fair to say Obama severely downplayed the threat of ISIS far too long and there's no denying it now that ISIS has struck Russian and French targets and drawn their retaliation. If countries don't fight back against terrorists, they're seen by terrorists as easy targets. When countries fight back, the terrorists might distort reality to blame them for violence and brainwash more recruits for their cause, but the terrorists aren't going to leave their enemy alone just because there's no retaliation. They'll keep attacking until the enemy is destroyed.

I don't think any reasonable person believes that Israel's worst enemies would be satisfied with anything less than the complete annihilation of Israel, whether or not Israel protects itself. To quote a particular movie: "All the a**holes want is to sh*t all over everything."

Edit: I found this article a bit interesting:
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/us-pilots-confirm-obama-admin-blocks-75-percent-of-isis-strikes/

Pilots are saying Obama has a "0 civilian casualty" type of policy with airstrikes and this is extremely hindering the fight against terrorism (like his administration's rules of engagement in other theaters of war have been). This completely validates the terrorists' cowardly human shield policy, but it's suspected that France and Russia aren't going to be so timid fighting back and will hit the targets we won't and more civilians may die than if the US had conducted its low-casualty airstrikes. This seems to me to be similar to how environmentalists demand the rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline on the grounds that tar sand oil is bad for the environment, however if we don't buy it, it will still get sold and exported to another country by a method with a greater pollution risk.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Type568 said:

Once I & a friend got down from the bus because we one man looked to suspicious to us. Fairly selfish, but come on..

Better safe than sorry. Compare your air safety record with countries who do not profile. I heard China is getting in the fray.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

According to random statistics that Google returned the birth rate in France is approximately 12 per 1000 people per year and the death rate approximately 9 per 1000 people per year. The population is about 66 million. Meaning every year approximately 594000 people die and approximately 792000 babies are born (if my understanding of the rates and maths are correct). This approximates a growth in population of 198000 every year (ignoring immigration and emigration).

Let's ignore the fact that the death rate might already factor in the results of terrorist attacks. According to Wikipedia the November 13 attacks totaled 130 deaths (with approximately 500 other injuries). It doesn't really make much of a dent in the population. And that's just one country. The terrorists aren't just targeting France, but most of the Western world. And in every case you'll find similar statistics. The threat is negligible to our populations, both individually and especially as a whole.

Unless the terrorist attacks significantly increase in frequency or death toll they are no real threat to our nations. They are only a relatively low threat to small groups of people that happen to inhabit high population areas that make for better targets (many of us on the planet are sparsely populated, especially in North America, so terrorists are even less of a threat here). French people are probably far more likely to die in a car crash or from heart disease or the like. You get the point. Just like the rest of us.

That doesn't make the threat something we should completely ignore. We should certainly do our best to address it. Bombing in the Middle East doesn't do much to prevent it though. There's relatively little we can do with force to prevent terrorist attacks. The best tactic is likely trying to prevent the development of terrorist minds. And that means cooperation, peace, sharing and giving. Understanding, tolerance, etc. More of the good stuff, less of the bad stuff. Life's not fair. There's always going to be somebody pissed off at the world (for good reason) with no regard for other people. Fortunately, they appear to be a relative minority.

To exaggerate the situation and make it seem like it's them or us and that we need to retaliate and go to war with the terrorists to survive is dishonest and irresponsible. You can't really go to war with terrorists. It doesn't work that way. They're terrorists. They live in your own country. Some of them. Not many. Should our governments start dropping bombs on ourselves?!

You say it's a problem that we refuse to drop bombs if we risk killing civilians too. Surely then you'd support the government dropping a bomb on your house, killing you and your family, just in case there's a terrorist living next door! ::) I'm obviously being facetious. Surely you don't believe that.

In fact, if you happened to live where the terrorists were centered you would surely be opposed to imprecise attacks that risk killing you and your family. These people live among civilians. You can't go to war with that. It's not a job for the army. It's a job for the police. And unless you take away all of the rights and freedoms that afford us our human rights the police can't really do anything to prevent terrorists either... All they can do is clean up the mess afterward. That's just the way it is. It's not perfect. If you have a problem with it take it up with "god".

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

The US is not as sloppy with airstrikes as your imagination is. I live in the suburban, continental US so they'd send people in on the ground anyway. If the terrorists had the capability to use dirty/nuclear bombs (as often as they do in movies) or poison a country's water supplies, you could watch that "negligible" death toll skyrocket. Saying the terrorists aren't threatening to an entire population based on numbers isn't much consolation to the families of people that the terrorists murdered.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

When I think about it, I love life, and humans, and relations.

But if the target has been validated and was proven to be a source for terrorism, be it a training camp or a petrol pump, then I would like the coalition to shut it down. With bombs if needed.

You can argue as you want here, on a forum, or in a common developed country. But these guys do not want to argue with us. They want to kill us. End.

You're asking yourself what they would do if they take some nuclear or biological dirty power add on ? They'll use it. ASAP !

They're terrorists. They don't care to break an egg or two.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

bamccaig said:

Unless the terrorist attacks significantly increase in frequency or death toll they are no real threat to our nations. ... French people are probably far more likely to die in a car crash or from heart disease or the like. You get the point. Just like the rest of us.

First and foremost, I think you'd be talking differently had any of your relatives or friends was caught in one of those infrequent attacks. Second, the reason why terrorist attacks work is that they target unexpecting civilians doing ordinary things like commuting to work. This spreads fear and people don't want to live in fear.

Airplane is statistically the most safe mean of travelling around, yet when something goes wrong and people die it's always a shock, eventhough you are more likely to die in a car accident just as you said. The thing is that car accidents take a small death toll per one occurrence but the overall picture is not likely to be seen by most people. On the other hand plane crash or terrorist attack usually takes a large death toll in a single moment. And it's always shocking.

bamccaig said:

There's relatively little we can do with force to prevent terrorist attacks. The best tactic is likely trying to prevent the development of terrorist minds. And that means cooperation, peace, sharing and giving. Understanding, tolerance, etc.

While I agree with you that there will be always somebody who will hate us, the sad truth is that not doing anything or trying to promote peace, cooperation etc. isn't going to do much. You have to stop those who brainwash the young through the Middle East to strap on few kilos of explosives and detonate themselves. You can't do this by sharing.

The thing is that these people hate the Western culture. They think, and sometimes rightfully so, that the West came in to exploit their natural resources and gave nothing in return. Just a few dollars for the rich. They despise our culture, our products etc. On the other hand they hapilly reap the fruits of our labour: lots of Daesh propaganda spots look like a Toyota advertisement; they use our own weapons and technology against us.

Hell, they are even that arrogant as to proclaim themselves the world caliphate. Do you seriously think you can just talk peace to these cutthroats? Nope, they want to rule the world in their perverted fashion, they want to destroy all progress. Ironically using the very fruits of the progress in doing so. I repeat, all these people understand is force. And they should be getting the taste of it.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OICW said:

First and foremost, I think you'd be talking differently had any of your relatives or friends was caught in one of those infrequent attacks. Second, the reason why terrorist attacks work is that they target unexpecting civilians doing ordinary things like commuting to work. This spreads fear and people don't want to live in fear.

Airplane is statistically the most safe mean of travelling around, yet when something goes wrong and people die it's always a shock, eventhough you are more likely to die in a car accident just as you said. The thing is that car accidents take a small death toll per one occurrence but the overall picture is not likely to be seen by most people. On the other hand plane crash or terrorist attack usually takes a large death toll in a single moment. And it's always shocking.

You're essentially saying that emotions make us irrational. We already know this. Should we make decisions based on raw emotion or critical thinking? Obviously if somebody that I knew was harmed I would want to pick up a gun and shoot a motherfucker's head off. >:( But would it solve anything? Not really. :-/ It would just keep the cycle going (probably I'd regret it after a few years of reflection). The people that are emotional about it need to work through their emotions and should not be making important decisions on the matter until they've had a chance to work through it. That especially goes for people in positions of power, such as political leaders whose decisions are wide reaching and may have serious consequences that affect the whole planet.

OICW said:

While I agree with you that there will be always somebody who will hate us, the sad truth is that not doing anything or trying to promote peace, cooperation etc. isn't going to do much. You have to stop those who brainwash the young through the Middle East to strap on few kilos of explosives and detonate themselves. You can't do this by sharing.

How does dropping bombs on them do this? Do you expect those bombs to get everybody? Do we plan to massacre an entire people to ensure there's nobody left to hate us? There will always be more hate to go around. Dropping bombs on them is only going to give them even more ammunition. "The French dropped a bomb on your family! The French are the reason your brother is dead! Join us and fight back!" The more pain and suffering we deliver to the region the easier it is to find people that want to bring pain and suffering back to us. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

OICW said:

The thing is that these people hate the Western culture. They think, and sometimes rightfully so, that the West came in to exploit their natural resources and gave nothing in return. Just a few dollars for the rich.

So you admit that some of their justifications are correct. We've, or at least some of the people that represent us, have fucked them over good. Should we not try to atone for that? If we are guilty why should we not at least try to apologize and work it out peacefully? We know they have reasons to be angry. Whether or not they have reasons to be angry with us is debatable, but they are likely just as in the dark about the absolute truths behind it all as the rest of us.

All they know is they're angry and they have pain enough to spread around and they think we're partly responsible. Keep in mind that people are irrational, unintelligent beings. The majority of the planet believes in a magical being the sky of some kind. He never responds to them, he never helps them, but they're all delusional and believe he's there. It's quite simple to see how this steer people in the wrong direction. We must be very careful to not let it steer us in the wrong direction too. We're just as fallible as they are.

OICW said:

They despise our culture, our products etc.

Tell them to get in line. >:( Much of our "culture" and products are absolutely horrible. They're bad for the planet, the people, our health, our minds, and our wallets. For the most part, it's about corporate America keeping individual chosen ones wealthy and healthy while keeping the rest of us impoverished and sickly. There's a lot to hate about it.

Of course, I imagine you'd find a lot of blind hatred towards their culture as well. It goes both ways. Are you so sure we're bombing them for the right reasons?

OICW said:

On the other hand they hapilly reap the fruits of our labour: lots of Daesh propaganda spots look like a Toyota advertisement; they use our own weapons and technology against us.

Hell, they are even that arrogant as to proclaim themselves the world caliphate. Do you seriously think you can just talk peace to these cutthroats? Nope, they want to rule the world in their perverted fashion, they want to destroy all progress. Ironically using the very fruits of the progress in doing so. I repeat, all these people understand is force. And they should be getting the taste of it.

So more or less their leadership is about as selfish and corrupt and evil as our own. The thing is the leadership isn't really where the power is. The power is in the numbers of pawns that support them. And while the extremists at the top of hierarchy might be die-hard murderers and pure evil, odds are the many confused men within their ranks are just doing what makes sense to them now. They are likely able to be talked out of it if you can offer them a better deal than the one they're getting now. The same is true of our own pawns.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I don't see much hope for a diplomatic solution when ISIS is committing multiple large scale attacks per week on different world powers. Some people really can't be reasoned with, their minds are too far-gone. Once they've reached a mind-set that it's OK to kill hundreds of civilians just to punish their enemies, how much can you really expect them to be able to reform?

When diplomacy fails, and since ISIS isn't an actual country to target with sanctions, the critical thinking of the world powers lead to the conclusion that the extremists have to be removed from society. This can be done with air strikes or with boots on the ground, the latter of which gets very messy for both sides. Air strikes allow a way to quickly attack military targets and contain the damage much more than you're willing to admit in this thread.

1   2   3 

Go to: