Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » ASSERT(ALLEGRO_EVENT_TYPE_IS_USER(event->any.type));

Credits go to Elias and SiegeLord for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
ASSERT(ALLEGRO_EVENT_TYPE_IS_USER(event->any.type));
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey guys this has been driving me crazy for a while now.

On line 225 of latest A5 from Git in evtsrc.c there is this line of code :

ASSERT(ALLEGRO_EVENT_TYPE_IS_USER(event->any.type));

What it boils down to is that it prevents users from simulating allegro events. In reality this is unnecessary.

In my ManyMouse project I made an adapter from the win32 RawInput API which takes Windows VK_ vkeys and maps them to ALLEGRO_KEY_* allegro keys so I could use RawInput directly without having to have an allegro window active and onscreen because I can use the RawInput API's input without having to have an active or onscreen window.

But this ASSERT prevents me from simulating actual ALLEGRO_EVENT_KEY_DOWN and ALLEGRO_EVENT_KEY_UP events, which is a giant pain.

Can we remove this? I don't think it really serves any useful purpose other than to limit the user's ability to emit allegro events with al_emit_user_event.

Thanks for taking a look. I can submit a patch, but it's a one line change so I figured it didn't really need a patch. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Edgar

PS. Also, it is preventing me from using a debug build of allegro, which I need to debug my program. :/

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Allegro's source is now hosted on github: https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5

Coincidentally, the change you want has been made about a month ago :).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

git remote set-url origin git@github.com:liballeg/allegro5.git

Or even easier, edit .git/config and replace the old URL with this one.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I changed the .git/config file to use "https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5.git" and it is up to date now. Thanks for the advice. ;)

Although this raises the question of having an out of date repository hosted on sf.net. I think that could easily confuse some people. Is there any way to make the SF repo a mirror of GitHub?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Removing the assert is the simple fix "for now". A more comprehensive fix, (e.g. al_emit_keyboard_event()) will probably be added in the future.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: