Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 5.1.11 released!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Allegro 5.1.11 released!
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

What if you try gnu11 rather than c11?

Thank you very much! This did the trick. Compiled flawlessly after that. :)

Incidentally, including "sys/types.h", didn't make a difference.

Edit: I have a new problem though! My game refuses to load in a sound sample which it has always been able to load, it fails to load it then freezes up.

When I look at the allegro.log file it was 153061 lines long!!! That's insane! My game didn't even make it all the way through the initialization! It barely loaded anything. There's definitely some bugs with this release. I would attach the allegro.log but it is over 22megs big! :O (note: I had deleted the allegro.log file before running this so this was a freshly made log)

Edit2: I recompiled with MinGW 4.7.0 + Allegro 5.1.8 (though the version displayed in my console says 5.1.9) and it runs flawlessly. Log file is only 10K lines rather than 156K (and that was with a full load and run and exit). So... dunno.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

That's because if _STRICT_ANSI_ is defined (which it probably is for C11) then off_t isn't defined. I didn't look closely enough. I just grepped for off_t in the include directory. :/

sys\types.h said:

sys\types.h#SelectExpand
66#ifndef _OFF_T_ 67#define _OFF_T_ 68typedef long _off_t; 69#ifndef __STRICT_ANSI__ 70typedef _off_t off_t; 71#endif /* __STRICT_ANSI__ */ 72#endif /* Not _OFF_T_ */

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Gosh Neil, these releases just have trouble with your game. Is there any way you could share your code, perhaps privately? I'm sure I can solve the problem with a bit of effort. As for the log, I'm sure you can zip it up and it'll be a lot smaller. After all, it's all text anyway.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

<scratch all that> Going to look at this one more time. ;)

Okay, several issues. I am missing several DLLs, even though I compiled this with the static version of the library. Some I have, some I do not, but requiring a DLL sort of nullifies the whole idea of a static build. So far it has required libvorbisfile-3.dll, libvorbis-0.dll, which I had, it also requires libogg-0.dll which I do not have.

I compile the debug version with the library: allegro_monolith-debug-static

So I definitely am using the right one, and all my code is set to static, always has been, works with past versions of Allegro 5 static builds (all premade builds by the way, like this, not my own versions).

The game fails to load as a result, and then when it goes to exit and shut down the screen, it goes into an endless loop for the following code:

EDIT: Okay, I solved the freezing problem. I had the code to shut down the display before the code which frees up the fonts I loaded. I am not sure why that could cause a problem now and not before, but I moved my code to shut down the screen to the end of my function and it no longer freezes up, so I needed to destroys bitmaps before I destroy the screen I guess.

Still need those DLL requests gone as this IS static. Perhaps I will try compiling a non-static version tomorrow as it is now past 4am... argh. I would like it if there was an up to date release version so I could compile without the allegro.log appearing.

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

You're using the binaries and compiler I provided, right? I know about 2 dll dependencies, libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. That is because of the way CMake built them. The option to link statically to the CRT is not available yet. SiegeLord recently added an option to the cmake build system to do this, but it doesn't work for MinGW yet. So those two dlls still have to be packaged, even with a static build. Sorry about that.

Now, you said your static build relies on vorbis and ogg dlls? It definitely shouldn't. The examples and demos I built alongside the static libraries all work and they only rely on the two CRT dlls I mentioned above and OpenAL32.dll. I don't have a static version of OpenAL built yet, because the cmake build script they provide does not have a static version.

libogg-0.dll is provided in bin\dlls btw, along with the rest of the dlls.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Sounds like you got bit by the dynamic-load issue for allegro_acodec. By default it tries to dynamically load codecs for its supported formats, you have to clear a flag in CMake (WANT_ACODEC_DYNAMIC_LOAD I think) to disable that.

I think for the future that option should be disabled for static builds. Something to consider.

You can get a fully static build, I have a working one for minisphere (5.1.11 even), the entire game engine is self-contained in a single 2.2mb executable with no dependencies. :)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Yeah, this was compiled 100% ONLY with what you provided. I have the MinGW you provided in it's own folder along with the Allegro you provided in the same folder. There was no libogg-0.dll in there though... <double checks> I see why I couldn't find it last night. There is a dll folder in your main MinGW folder as well as one inside the bin folder >:( Let me try this again.

I can live with needing dlls though, no big deal, but if some are required it should be mentioned somewhere so people aren't surprised (in that text file about static linking perhaps, for now anyhow).

<time passes>

Okay, I ran it again, this time with libogg-0.dll, libvorbis-0.dll and libvorbisfile-3.dll in the same folder and it ran without problems. I didn't recompile it to use dlls, just included those for now.

---

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Like I said, if you're building your own statics you have to re-run CMake with the WANT_ACODEC_DYNAMIC_LOAD option cleared. Then you'll get a proper static link of all dependencies.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I rebuilt the two static libraries with that option disabled. Here they are :

Yay! That worked, many thanks for your work on this.

Edit: New version up, compiled with this, complete with proper installation program (Windows) etc... if you're curious. The game is fully functional, just needs a few things added (multiplayer option etc). Compiled with Code::Blocks, and the MinGW + Allegro supplied in this thread.

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Edeluxe.pacman/zips/DPacman2_2015JUN26.zip

---

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Glad it all works now. Just to be clear, did you compile with the official static binaries and observed that they required the ogg etc DLLs? I thought I fixed that... :-/.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

SiegeLord said:

Glad it all works now. Just to be clear, did you compile with the official static binaries and observed that they required the ogg etc DLLs? I thought I fixed that... :-/.

Yup, I did. No more DLLs needed. I don't keep my DLLs in my system path anywhere just so I can know what is and is not needed.

The ZIP I linked to is what I compiled with no DLLs and works as is. I got more work done on it today, so far I am quite pleased with this version. I may actually get my game done (actually, I got it done today, just bug testing it now).

---

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I have a problem with ex_dualies.
When I run it the resolution changes to 640x480 on both my monitors, but don't came back to the original aspect when I quit.
Edit: ex_win_full does the same but only on my main monitor.

Edit: ex_vertex_buffer textprintf output seems messed up
{"name":"609573","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3dafb0dcbf63884187fb78f55f8434c2.jpg","w":647,"h":510,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3dafb0dcbf63884187fb78f55f8434c2"}609573

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Edit: ex_vertex_buffer textprintf output seems messed up

Can you point out what's wrong? It seems okay to me.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

What's wrong is the display format of the fps.
EDIT: but maybe users are used to see fps in e mode.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Haha, scientific notation for fps. That's new. :P

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Ah... that was just me wanting FPS with only two significant digits, but being too lazy to write a routine to do that rounding myself.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Somehow scientific notation makes that FPS look so much better! :D

---

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I feel like I have a high end computer looking at these numbers. But I have not ! >:(

Lísias de Castro
Member #14,882
January 2013

Hey guys I followed the link, but my download wasn't the version 5.1.11 but the version 5.0.11. Is it stable? :D

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I never noticed this until today, because MinGW's bin folder was in my path (it no longer is). But when compiling my game, it now says "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing", but I statically link it with my game, always have (with "-static" in my linking options, which has always worked with past Allegro libraries, but now this one). All I can assume is that Allegro 5.1.11 has not been statically linked with libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll?

I'm starting to require the inclusion of more and more dlls with this build. I can include this dll if need be, but the static version of this library is definitely broken.

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil
I told you before, that my build of A5.1.11 depends on OpenAL and the CRT dlls. If you need to know which dlls a program is dependent on, use Dependency Walker. It's because the option to build the allegro dll with a static crt isn't available yet through cmake, so even the static versions depend on OpenAL and libgcc_sw2 and libstdc++.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

In order to get rid of the mingw dlls, you have to compile/link everything with `-static -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++`

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Right, but Allegro's cmake doesn't support that yet. :/

Not that hard to add it ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2   3 

Go to: